GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Intelligent Design" article"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/09/05 at 11:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm aware it's a week or so sooner than the monthly "Science vs Religion" yawnfest postfrenzy we have, but this article is worth a read.
Especially if you're a stupid fundementalist
[URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1559743,00.html[/URL]
Thu 01/09/05 at 11:55
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm aware it's a week or so sooner than the monthly "Science vs Religion" yawnfest postfrenzy we have, but this article is worth a read.
Especially if you're a stupid fundementalist
[URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/life/feature/story/0,13026,1559743,00.html[/URL]
Thu 01/09/05 at 13:17
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
I look forward to reading that Gump, as well as being more Jewish than Jews, is a much better scientific thinker than the finest scientists alive...
Thu 01/09/05 at 13:29
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I'm personally now a devout follower of pastafarianism

[URL]http://www.boingboing.net/2005/06/22/dear_kansas_why_stop.html[/URL]
[URL]http://www.boingboing.net/2005/08/19/pastafarianism_flyin.html[/URL]

Codes of conduct:
# Prayers are ended with the word RAmen rather than Amen.

Benefits of conversion:
# Like the great noodles they worship, Flying Spaghetti Monsterists have flimsy moral standards.
# Promise of a stripper factory and a beer volcano in Heaven.
Thu 01/09/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Fascinating. I'd heard of Richard Dawkins through reading Douglas Adams. I hadn't taken the plunge and actually read one of his books (I don't usually read non-fiction) but definitely will now.
Thu 01/09/05 at 13:36
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> # Like the great noodles they worship

Mmmmm, Wagamama.
Thu 01/09/05 at 13:42
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Kilgore Trout wrote:
> Fascinating. I'd heard of Richard Dawkins through reading Douglas
> Adams. I hadn't taken the plunge and actually read one of his books
> (I don't usually read non-fiction) but definitely will now.

I seem to recall he was involved in the Science of the Discworld series. Regardless, they're 3 very good books which, along with Brysons History of Everything, form an excellent introduction to Science.

They did for a numptie like me anyway...
Thu 01/09/05 at 19:47
Regular
Excellent. That essay articulates all my frustrations against the
'it's my opinion so it can't be untrue!!!11!!' camp that I have to deal with every day. Cheers.
Thu 01/09/05 at 23:55
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
God made teh Earth, not sum BIG Bang or machine or alienz. WTF!!1112"£$foureight"£$"468"!£!%£. STFU n00BS. GAYBYS!!

Sorry. I don't even know what i'm doing in this particular forum. Hahaha...
Thu 01/09/05 at 23:58
Regular
I thought Game would steer clear of a thread with the word "intelligent" in the title........

:-P.
Sat 03/09/05 at 00:58
Regular
"I like cheese"
Oh! Well now I've read that, I'm going to drop all my religious beliefs and become a fantastic scientist, who is always right because evolution is so obviously fact!!

Okay, the article started off well enough, and in a sense I AGREE that the teaching of creationism belongs in religious studies, not in science classes. The theories of Creation and Evolution rely on two completely different types of 'belief,' if you will - one based on tried and tested, and therefore supposed fact, and the other is down to faith and personal experience.

I'm sorry Goaty, but the article went from reasonably arguing why creationism shouldn't be taught in the classroom, to "we are scientists and we love science, so evolution is fact and to believe in something as prepostorous as God and creationism makes everybody else stupid."

Yes, there is some proof of Evolution. Yes, I can understand why that should be taught as science and Creationism as part of religious studies (although I found they're terming of it as a 'fallacy' or 'myth' rather insulting), but then they go off on a bit of a tangent and try to TELL me that evolution is a fact, and that creationism, or ID, is simply wrong because it isn't science.

Okay, so it's covered in a scientific cloth and masked as an article aimed toward the purpose of preserving science in the education system, but there are some nice little cheap shots in there toward guys like me who happen to believe in Creationism, whether there's any 'fact' behind it or not.

I understand and sympathise with people such as yourself who get angry with religious fundamentalists who try and tell you how to live your life, but in many ways that article is doing exactly the same thing, just from the other point of view.

EDIT - "It would, after all, take only about 10 minutes to exhaust the case for ID, then we could get back to teaching real science and genuine controversy."

Nice to see the scientists not getting on their high horses, eh?

What about the personal and societal importance religion and theories such as Creationism hold? And, if anything is controversial and exciting, then it's religion. I recently returned from a Christian Youth Camp where one of my friends found himself speaking in tongues, and another reduced people and herself to tears with her emotional tale of how God has turned her life around. I saw people faint, merely through the power of God's spirit.

Now, let me think, would I rather debate my own religion and the wonderful experiences that come with it, or the "Cambrian Explosion."

I know which I think is an "argument worth having."

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.