GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"360 > PS3"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/08/05 at 23:42
Regular
According to teamxbox.com, reporting on an inquirer article.

[URL]http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9126/PlayStation-3-GPU-Less-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/[/URL]
Thu 01/09/05 at 02:28
Regular
"es argh"
Savatt78 wrote:
> Without Microsoft and Nintendo, I dread to think of what the games
> industry would look like

No Halo and no Mario

Ohoho.

Actually it's going to be both Microsoft and Playstation spouting out their same old marketing ploys with updated consoles. The only thing that has changed, supposedly, is that the PS3 will be released after the 360 unlike how it was the other way round last time.

I just hope the 360 manages to do well enough in Japan so it warrants a Pro Evo release over there so it's being released on a better console and will hopefully help the series progress, albeit in a tiny insignificant way like more shadows or some poop.
Thu 01/09/05 at 02:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Pretty funny read after all the EA style PS3 hype. Personally I have no interest in the console. I see Sony as the console manufacturing equivelent of EA - all hype and no real product.

Every gen of console they make, they seem to have to rely on some BS video in place of games to promote their console. "This is what our games will look like !" - yeah right ok. The big cloud of hype that they shove on the public is what keeps them in business. "We have loads of games available !" - yeah, shame most of them are bargain bin quality.

If the past is anything to go buy, expect loads of PS3's to conk out, such is the quality of Sony consoles. From personal experience, I know that too well - I had to exchange the PS1 5 times ! and the PS2 3 times ! Didn't suprise me to read about how it was cheaper for the Japanese to just buy a new console rather than get the existing one repaired - adding to Sony's sales figures. If I remember right, that came from the guy who created the Resi Evil games.

No doubt I'll get a whole bunch of abuse about being a fanboy, but I really don't care. I see a difference between a fanboy and someone who wants to see a console manufacturer who actually has vision to improve and try new things.

With Sony, it just seems a case of bettering the graphics and sound for the next GTA, MGS and GT games, Which for the first two titles, they'll make sure they get out on the shelves first so they can attract the "I wanna b a gangsta !" crowd which makes up a very large percentage of the public.

I just got really tired of the Playstation product and Sony hype that leads to pretty much nothing. I think we can safely say though that Sony's marketing department won't do to the 360 what it did to the Dreamcast.

Without Microsoft and Nintendo, I dread to think of what the games industry would look like in terms of creativity and titles on the shelves. It'd be like that whole result of Biff grabbing the sport results book in Back To The Future 2 situation.
Thu 01/09/05 at 01:54
Regular
"es argh"
I'm not actually all that bothered about the specs, but rather whether the 360 will get the Pro Evo series in its entirety (with jap versions and whatnot) and if the patchers decide to make 360 as well as PS3 patches.
Thu 01/09/05 at 01:48
Regular
The current PC graphics card have a seperate pixel and vertex shader architecture. The PS3 will have this also.

By the end of 2006, PC graphics cards will have general shaders which can do whatever the developers tell them to do at any given time. This is what the Xbox 360 has.

So if the PS3 has 24 pixel and 24 vertex shaders, that's what they are locked at.

The 360 will have 48 shaders, but the developer can have them split to doing and combination of pixel or vertex operations they like. Even changing them mid frame so if a particular effect is pixel operation intensive, the developer can devote all 48 shaders to drawing individual pixels if they wanted.

The PS3 can't do that.
Thu 01/09/05 at 01:44
Regular
"es argh"
But yeah, it'll be rather like now. Xbox is generally better than the PS2, more powerful and quicker yadda yadda yadda.
Thu 01/09/05 at 01:43
Regular
"es argh"
I lost you after "It"
Thu 01/09/05 at 01:38
Regular
It means that due to a unified shader architecture, the Xbox 360 will be able to do things which developers will be able to do with WGF PCs, which the PS3 cannot.

Means that people developing for PC will port to 360 where they might not go to PS3, just like it is with the current Xbox.

Anyone developing cross platform console games will probably make them look all the same, like now.

So, it means the 360 might get more games which are going to be on PC which the PS3 wont get, basically.
Thu 01/09/05 at 01:34
Regular
"es argh"
So will this difference be noticable in the slightest or is it a penis waving contest here?
Wed 31/08/05 at 23:42
Regular
According to teamxbox.com, reporting on an inquirer article.

[URL]http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9126/PlayStation-3-GPU-Less-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.