GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"360 > PS3"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 31/08/05 at 23:42
Regular
According to teamxbox.com, reporting on an inquirer article.

[URL]http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/9126/PlayStation-3-GPU-Less-Powerful-than-GeForce-7800/[/URL]
Mon 05/09/05 at 00:08
Regular
"8==="
Unless the PC version actually has a target I wouldn't fair any better on that version.

It's a pathetic oversight from Rockstar, especially as it's so simple for anyone at Rockstar to implement a target (Max Payne, Manhunt) and the lack of one can ruin their games quite easily (State of Emergency).

If you want to have an interesting drive, you're better of with True Crime because things ACTUALLY HAPPEN when you're driving around in that game (although the missions are pap).

Thankfully Narc is like GTA 3 minus the driving but with the slo-mo dives and targeting from Max Payne + other freaky drug effects (Super speed, increased accuracy, weird jester heads on everyone(!) etc).
Sun 04/09/05 at 23:53
Regular
San Andreas has the ability for manual aiming, though I can't say I've ever really had any problems with the lock on system.
Sun 04/09/05 at 23:48
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Hedfix wrote:
> Never had a problem with the controls, just the lack of a target to
> aim with

Sounds like you should be buying the PC versions instead, really. the FPS controls completely eliminate the awful, awful aiming on the Xbox/PS2.

> Although driving around is realistic it's generally pretty boring
> when you just want to get into some fire-fights.

I prefer driving around to shooting people, but mainly because the shooting is so limited and poor in comparison to most things.
Sun 04/09/05 at 23:40
Regular
"8==="
gerrid wrote:
> The erratic controls of GTA are much less of a problem on the PC, but
> it's driving that GTA is about, not on foot sections, and it's always
> been that way, really. One day I hope they pay as much attention to
> the on foot controls and stuff as they do to the size of the
> environment, but I doubt it.

Never had a problem with the controls, just the lack of a target to aim with up unti lyou get the sniper rifle (which FINALLY adds some much needed precision to things).

Although driving around is realistic it's generally pretty boring when you just want to get into some fire-fights. That's why I like Narc because they've taken the bits I liked from GTA 3 and made a better game with them.
Sun 04/09/05 at 23:31
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
One game I'm really glad I bought was Morrowing (GOTY version). It has to be one of the best RPG games I've ever played and I loved the way you could aim to be pretty much anything you want. I also really enjoyed the way you could explore the world and it would take ages to travel on foot, so you really had to make sure you were prepared for a trip.

Plus there was always those places you'd stumble across on the way to your destination and you wouldn't be able to help but take a detour and have a look. :-) It was also great how everything was available to go into. None of that having to meet certain criteria to open places - if you had the means to get there, you could go there.

Of course some people will argue that it was slow to get into and it was annoying to get beaten half to death by big rats and stuff, but I just really enjoyed it all. I loved how you start off with nothing so that you're forced to try and get yourself on your feet, wether by helping people or just sneaking around and stealing petty cash and stuff.

Really looking forward to Oblivion when it comes out, cause it looks set to offer even more. The forests are looking amazing and it looks like it'll be fun to go out hunting and exploring the world. :-)
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:58
Regular
Game wrote:
> Please tell me you're joking?

No :P.

> The boat, the music, the weather, the Day-Night system, the treasure,
> EVERYTHING about travelling was fun. It was fun going from island to
> island, finsing stuff, speaking to the fish, building your chartered
> waters map and solving the clues.

If I wanted to go sailing I'd buy a boat :). I found the hunting for treasure monotenous, boring and not in the slightest bit unique. It'd been done before on FFIX where you had to find treasure maps and hunt for the stuff whilst riding a Chocobo. That's just not interesting :).

Nintendo themselves knew that travelling around in a boat was boring, that's why they threw in a teleport system, just a pity it was so limited in where you could teleport too. Especially during parts of the game where you had to visit the bottom left corner of the map where there wern't exatly any brilliantly placed whirlwinds.

I'll give the music a thumbs up, I agree that was good :).

I was particularly irked by the need for a GBA link to get some extras for the game, that was done in bad taste and I would blow a nut if EA ever made you have a completely seperate console to access any part of a game.

I don't know what finsing stuff means.............

Whilst the building of charters map etc was a good side quest to be done as a CHOICE whilst going between actual dungeon levels, as I've said before the game became ultimately tedious when you were forced to move around in exactly the same way to find the pieces of the tri-force map. All of the irksome annoyances in finding the sailing part of the game the weakest and most boring were forced to the forefront.

The Wind Waker started strongly with having sneak around the beginning castle hiding from the lights etc. And everything from there was a slow slide which ended up being a boring game. If you don't agree with that, good, variety is the spice of life and I don't think you should be overly surprised to be finding people voicing opinion of dislike towards Nintendo's basic and, I hate to say it, child-like story-telling slightly grating in an Xbox forum :).

> Plus, Wind Waker may not have been hard, per se... but some bits were
> challenging - just not enough to get you annoyed and break a pad! The
> game was visually pleasing, the music was untouchable and you could
> almost explore limitlessly. There were mini-games, races, decent boss
> battles. The level of humour was good. I can't believe how anyone
> could NOT like Wind Waker... it was such a fun game.

I would not say the music was untouchable but definately one of the best gaming soundtracks, it was good but there are plenty of good game soundtracks. Final Fantasy VII being a perfect example.

Humour??? Was aimed at a lower level than I probably like. I'm sure four year olds find the Teletubbies highly amusing, I do not :).

Yes, there were mini-games and races and decent boss battles. Zelda's boss battles and dungeons are it's strong points, that's what makes a Zelda game good. Pity none of the more recent ones have been able to capture the brilliance of the older 2D games, A Link To The Past and Link's Awakening being my two favourites :).

Maybe it is just a difference of opinion and a differnce of gaming persuasion. I cannot argue with the animation quality of the Wind Waker. It has some of the best animation I've ever seen in a game. Definately of a cartoonish variety anyway with Metal Gear Solid taking my favourite life-like animation :).
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:36
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The erratic controls of GTA are much less of a problem on the PC, but it's driving that GTA is about, not on foot sections, and it's always been that way, really. One day I hope they pay as much attention to the on foot controls and stuff as they do to the size of the environment, but I doubt it.
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:30
Regular
"8==="
Like I said in this and other threads, I've had more fun in thr 4/5 hours I've spent playing Narc than I have on 30 hours + of GTA 3.

Mainly because the aiming's decent, I don't have to spend half the game driving to missions and the whole thing just seems to be more exciting (due to it being more action-based with no driving elements).
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:29
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I really enjoyd Wind Waker and had a huge amount of fun playing it, so in my books it goes down as a success. It's a definite shame that there weren't more dungeons and the tri force quest at the end smacked of looming deadlines, but what was there was wonderful. The dungeons were sublime and, although many of the islands were bland and samey, there were some real gems.
Sun 04/09/05 at 22:28
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Edgy wrote:
> Wind Waker could have been a lot better. I loved the on land sections
> (mostly) and the sailing was ok...however got a bit monotonous. The
> final fight was too too easy though. Only took one attempt.

Yeah, but you don't play a Zelda game for it to be hard. You play for the experience and most of all the story. Plus it's on a GameCube... You want a challenge? Look at Ninja Gaiden... MGS3... Amplitude (on Hard)... Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Starfox Adventures (Rare).. none of them were designed to be pad-breakingly hard, but fun and a good experience with a nice/decent story...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.