GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Football Trial - advice please!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/08/05 at 10:16
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
I might be 15, but I decided to apply for my first ever trial which is on Wednesday for a local team in Walthamstow (it's near the dog stadium if anyone's cares). What kind of things should I be looking to do, bearing in mind I'm probably best positioned on the wing or perhaps as an attacking midfielder or forward. Any advice, please?
Mon 29/08/05 at 12:09
Regular
"You've upset me"
Heh, I did something similar recently, J. Had a trial for my sixth form college near the beginning of the summer, hadn't/haven't played football for 3 years (thinking about it, not since I quit Cambridge actually. Jesus, that was a long time ago. Time really does fly). Anyway, basically I'd lost all confidence in my own ability and was acutely aware of the fact I was being judged. Instead of being the ball carrying, through ball attacking midfielder I used to be, I ended up in a much more defensive role. I'd get the ball, really concentrate to control it (my touch was, as you can imagine, a little rusty) and then look immediately for a pass instead of driving into the space ahead of me. I started a move that made a goal but was pretty unimpressive really. Still, I was up and down the pitch like a man posessed, my stamina and pace haven't waned in the slightest, and didn't actually play badly. Just not as well as I know I can.

Unimportant really. It doesn't bother me that I won't be in the first team next season, I just want to be playing regular football again. I've missed it a lot.
Mon 29/08/05 at 11:47
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I had a football trial for Exeter City school of Excellence. Hoowever, the trial was about a year after I was actually told I had it. Unfortunately, I hadn't playerd football in that year and was not on form. I tried to play as simple as possible, not in my own style, which ended up in me not making it into the squad. My advice to is to play your own game. You said that you were a winger, let them know that and then show all the qualities of that position; pace, crossing, etc. Also, another good thing to show you have, especially in midfield, is vision. Try to create oppurtunities for other players.
Fitness is also a big factor in football, as I'm sure you are aware, maake sure the person in charge of the trial always sees you running around.
With all this in mind, you'll be fine.
Mon 29/08/05 at 11:45
Regular
"You've upset me"
Heh @ Kaw :-)

Yeah, just play normally. It's important not to think about the fact that you're being judged otherwise you'll get nervous on the ball and lose confidence in your own ability. Don't be afraid of carrying the ball yourself but don't ever try and beat too many men (hur hur) or take a reckless shot from distance.

Oh and stay friendly with the other players there. If you foul them apologise immediately and offer them a hand up. If you get fouled don't get narked. It's part of the game.

Have fun.
Mon 29/08/05 at 10:58
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Grow your hair long and wear a headband, lots of stepovers, go to ground easily and wave a imaginary card around every time you get fouled.

They love that sort of thing
Mon 29/08/05 at 10:38
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
Don't get nervous, and don't let the thought that you will be being judged affect you game, play your normal game, show some pace, and some nice crosses (as usual i think ;) ) and no silly tackles.
Mon 29/08/05 at 10:16
Regular
"RIP: Brian Clough"
I might be 15, but I decided to apply for my first ever trial which is on Wednesday for a local team in Walthamstow (it's near the dog stadium if anyone's cares). What kind of things should I be looking to do, bearing in mind I'm probably best positioned on the wing or perhaps as an attacking midfielder or forward. Any advice, please?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.