GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Big Brother - A review"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 08/08/05 at 14:33
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
The best, the funniest, and by FAR the most accurate...

[URL]http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/columnists/story/0,,1542702,00.html[/URL]

God bless Charlie Brooker!
Mon 08/08/05 at 19:35
Regular
*shrugs* Nothing to do with me, I don't think I actually know anyone who watches Big Brother. I can't really get away with judging people for watching it though, because I like my fair share of trashy lightweight TV shows (Buffy, for one. Neighbours and the O.C of late) so I can understand what Light means by the whole chewing gum for the brain line.
Mon 08/08/05 at 19:30
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Stryke wrote:
> Well, they're all from Light. 3 or 4?
-------

Thank you.
I don't care about stepping on anybody's toes, it's not like we're seeing each other.
In fact, looking back I said "And assfaces that watch, regardless of whether they're mates or not, keep it on the air."
Meaning even if you're a friend of mine, you're still an assface for watching that programme.
Mon 08/08/05 at 19:29
Regular
"8==="
GB: You want Durex or Mates?
Light: Mates please.
GB: Mates it is then.
Mon 08/08/05 at 19:29
Regular
Well, they're all from Light. 3 or 4?
Mon 08/08/05 at 19:28
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Count them and show me.
Mon 08/08/05 at 19:18
Regular
Lots of 'mates' flying about.

'You're so wrong"
"So are you. Idiot."
"We're still mates, right?"
"Best friends forever."
Mon 08/08/05 at 18:59
Regular
"8==="
I've already got the cameras and the go-ahead from E4.

Light VS Goatboy, let's get it on!!
Mon 08/08/05 at 18:45
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
Tsk, get a room you two.
Mon 08/08/05 at 17:17
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Heh. You saw through my "If it's such an intellectual vacuum, why are we debating it" tactic then?

Damn.
Mon 08/08/05 at 17:16
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Goatboy wrote:
> Fair enough, but I'm not asking for anybody to agree with me, I know
> I'm in the minority on a lot of things and so be it
> *shrugs*

Aye, true enough. But you know what I'm like...

>
> And you say you can't get worked up about a programme you don't
> watch,

Oh, I watch it. I freely admit that. I was talking about you not watching it.

> Which gives me the impression that you do watch and enjoy, by your
> own admission, but then quantify it with the caveat that, sure, you
> watch it but you watch it ironically.

Nope; I watch it unashamedly. You'll not find me having detailed discussions about the "personalities" in the house, but it's like chewing gum for the brain and no worse for it.

>
> And I'm saying that's no excuse, it's an idiot programme. Made for
> the entertainment of and consumption by mongoloids.

As above, I'll disagree on that one. I get the feeling we're going to be agreeing to disagree about an awful lot when it comes to BB and reality TV in general.

> You're an intelligent person, there is no value in even ironically
> watching this tossy programme.

> And as with 99% of things on the television, it is utterly pointless
> and exists purely to sedate and entertain people so they chuckle
> whilst laying on the sofa.

There's no value in awful lot of things on TV, radio, cinema, CD...most pop culture is pretty empty of any meaning. And as long as one doesn't try to assign any great meaning to it, wheres the harm in that?

> Which is fine, power to them if that's what they want to do.
> But you can't really act superior and condescending when you do
> exactly the same thing, only ironically.

Which would be fair enough. If that were the case. Look, you've assumed by one comment of mine that I'm watching it in the same way people "ironically" watch trash. Or "ironically" watch a Britney Spears concert (leading, usually, to an unironic masturbatory climax later in the night). I'm not, and nor are a hell of a lot of others.

I'm watching it without any shame whatsoever. I enjoy watching a bunch of grown people who REALLY should know better acting like twunts. Yup, I get a thrill of superiority about it. And? Where's the problem in that? I'm also watching it because I sometimes like something unchallenging, in much the same way as I occasionally like an unchallenging read. You may as well criticise people for chewing gum as it's a waste of time.

I'm not going to try and separate myself out by spurious "Yeah, but I'm better than the other people who watch it" stuff. I watch it cos I watch it.

>
> I'm not having a pop here, just saying I don't understand how you can
> write some of the things you have done - yet admit to loving Big
> Brother etc?

See, from my point of view I don't understand how you can slate a program you don't watch. What you say there works the same way for me; how can you say some of the things you have, yet condemn something you haven't seen? I'm not trying to say you're being all Evangelically Mary Whitehouse here, but I just don't get it.

Plus I know you're not having a pop. Is it just me, or are we treading on eggshells here and not letting rip as much as we perhaps would normally? Dunno about you mate, but unless I get an email specifically saying "Right you twunt; it's war", I'm not viewing owt you say as a personal attack.

> It IS a vacuum of purpose though, and no amount of self-aware viewing
> can justify that programme.

By the same token, I thought Twin Peaks was an intellectual waste of time, but it was utterly compelling. That program didn't get much in the way of slating for being equally as vacuous in purpose as BB is. Same goes for the earlier point about Hicks and the COPS routine.

> But keep showing it, have Big Brother 832 because it keeps these apes
> inside and not in the cinema/venue that I'm in when it's on

Heh. If that's what works...I know I have a tendency to point out all the good work Heroin does in terms of killing scrotes that society doesn't need. But that's just me; the compassionate type.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.