GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Well whaddya know..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 02/08/05 at 02:43
"High polygon count"
They haven't deleted my login yet!

Oh well, while I'm here...

First off - hello all. Hope you're all having spiffingly wonderful lives. Well, most of you... ;-p

Now that's out of the way...

I have my PSP on pre-order with a certain other online retailer, and I need to get some games for it too. So any of you importers got any recommendations? I'll be buying official UK versions first off, but importers may be in a position to advise, having played the games. Yes, I have read reviews, but personal opinions can give a better balance.

What I'm thinking of so far are Ridge Racer, Mercury, Virtua Tennis, Metal Gear Acid, Ape Academy and Coded Arms. I know some of these are out in other regions, others may not be. Anyone have them and care to share their opinion?

Obviously there are a few must-have games which will be out shortly after launch (I'm thinking GT4 Mobile, Daxter and Pursuit Force specifically), but what of the current games? Is Mercury as much fun as it looks? Does Metal Gear really work as a 'card game'? How does Coded Arms play with only one analogue stick? Is Ape Academy fun? Should I choose a racer other than Ridge?

Also, as PSP is region-free for gaming, what websites would you recommend for cheap import games? Now I know some people at SR get particularly arsey about naming competitors here, even when they sell a multitude of things that SR don't... so feel free to e-mail me (about this only) - address on my profile page. And thanks in advance.
Tue 02/08/05 at 02:43
"High polygon count"
They haven't deleted my login yet!

Oh well, while I'm here...

First off - hello all. Hope you're all having spiffingly wonderful lives. Well, most of you... ;-p

Now that's out of the way...

I have my PSP on pre-order with a certain other online retailer, and I need to get some games for it too. So any of you importers got any recommendations? I'll be buying official UK versions first off, but importers may be in a position to advise, having played the games. Yes, I have read reviews, but personal opinions can give a better balance.

What I'm thinking of so far are Ridge Racer, Mercury, Virtua Tennis, Metal Gear Acid, Ape Academy and Coded Arms. I know some of these are out in other regions, others may not be. Anyone have them and care to share their opinion?

Obviously there are a few must-have games which will be out shortly after launch (I'm thinking GT4 Mobile, Daxter and Pursuit Force specifically), but what of the current games? Is Mercury as much fun as it looks? Does Metal Gear really work as a 'card game'? How does Coded Arms play with only one analogue stick? Is Ape Academy fun? Should I choose a racer other than Ridge?

Also, as PSP is region-free for gaming, what websites would you recommend for cheap import games? Now I know some people at SR get particularly arsey about naming competitors here, even when they sell a multitude of things that SR don't... so feel free to e-mail me (about this only) - address on my profile page. And thanks in advance.
Tue 02/08/05 at 08:03
Regular
Howdy! Long time! (On that subject, sorry for not e-mailing in ages...) Anyway, hope you're well!

On the PSP stuff, I don't have my own opinion, but I can pass on what PSM2 said, which was that Mercury and Ridge Racer are excellent titles, both scoring very highly, where as Metal Gear Acid didn't come so highly recommended. I haven't been reading PSP reviews throroughly though, so I can't remember what they said about the others.

Are you still going in the land of PS2 as well? I posted a topic a while back (probably a long way down) thanking you and talking about Ratchet and Clank 3. I finally got round to trying it and absolutely loved it. Have now moved on to God of War, but both are superb. What's currently taking up your time?

In Farscape related news, I meant to e-mail a while back to ask you about Firefly. I know you like stuff like Babylon 5 and Farscape, but wondered if the same applied to Firefly. I took a risk and bought the first "season" boxset when it was on offer, absolutely loved the series and would definitely recommend it. There is also a movie coming out later this year, following on from the prematurely cancelled series.

Right, back to work. Good to see you back on the forums though!
Tue 02/08/05 at 13:05
Regular
Hola,

I only have Lumines and Wipeout for the PSP. so I can't give you any advice on the games you mentioned specifically, I can only advise you to buy Lumines above all else.

Wipeout is good, but I never owned any of the others, and apparently it's very similar to all that have gone before on the PS1.

But, BUY LUMINES!!!!

I wont hear another word from people moaning about crappy sequels and regurgitated franchises if people don't go out and support the new and original development out there.

Some people baulk at the fact that it's a full price puzzle game, but it's has more gameplay hours, and therefore given me more value for money than Wipeout.

It is Gamespot's top rated PSP game after all, above all the games you mentioned ;).
Tue 02/08/05 at 15:03
Regular
I have Ridge Racer, Need for Speed, Ape Escape, Wipeout, Lumines and Dead to Rights.

Ridge Racer - At first I really didnt like it, I had never played a ridge racer game before but if you have and liked it, you'll probably like this. I didnt get the whole turning round corners malarky at first. You kinda have to skid around them which in turn fills up your boost things. After ive played it for a while though, im liking it very much now. Nice graphics and stuff. Its cool.

NFSU - I prefered this game over RR at first, but now all the Japanese text is getting annoying. Its just like NFS on the PS2 but I dont think it includes a story mode... not 100% sure. Its really fun, im sure id like it more if the text was english but ah well, still good.

Ape Escape - Ive not played this yet so cant really comment.

Wipeout - I thought Wipeout was a really fast game on the PS1, so was kinda disappointed when I first played it to see how slow the ships were going, but again after a little play... the tracks get faster and its a great game. Nice graphics and special effects for when you get powerups and blast other ships with weapons.

Lumines - I got this game after everyone raving about it. I dont usually like puzzle games coz im crap at them, and this is no exception. How I didnt like RR at first, but carried on playing it... I played Lumines for a little while and didnt like it, and havent played it since. Personally I dont like the game but you might. I think its one of those, you either love it or hate it.

Dead to Rights - Now this is my favourite game so far. It kinda reminds me of Max Payne. Dunno why but its great. I didnt even like Max Payne, but this game is awesome. Loads of weapons, loads of enemies, loads of cool little things you can do. Interesting story. Very addictive.

And there you go.
Tue 02/08/05 at 16:59
Regular
"It's so,so cold"
Having just purchased a PSP I would recommend getting Lumines and Ridge Racer.They are the only two games that I have got and are both excellent.I have to disagree with kugkv because although it takes a little while to get into Lumines is a very good game.The sound is great with headphones and it is very addictive.Ridge Racer is also very good and as this is the is the first title in the series I have played much(I've played on the DS version for a short while) I have enjoyed the more arcadey approach to racing as I normally play Gran Turismo.
Tue 02/08/05 at 18:09
"High polygon count"
ssxpro:

Howdo! No worries, I know you're busy with Uni and all that. Thanks for letting me know what the mag said; I don't tend to buy any mags these days, just the odd one now and then.

I'm still in the land of PS2, yes. I've just read the other thread - my pleasure. It's a great game... I can't wait for Daxter on PSP. I've not got hold of God of War yet, but I'm currently lost in GT4, Pro Evo 4 and Killzone (yes, still - completed, but still playing) on the PS2, and Doom 3 and Halo 2 (to a lesser extent) on the Xbox. On the PC, it's MoH, CoD and FM2005.

I've never seen anything to do with Firefly. I know it's buy Joss Whedon who did Buffy, but I heard it got cancelled and so didn't bother. As with Farscape and the Peacekeeper Wars, though, I know about the film which completes the story - Serenity, I think it's called - and that does look quite good; though when I watched the trailer, I didn't know it had anything to do with Firefly at the time.

Bonus:

Okay, okay, I'll consider Lumines! :-) But is it that original? From the small clips I've seen, it seems very similar to Tetris.

And to the other contributors - many thanks also. Every bit of info helps.
Tue 02/08/05 at 18:51
"possibly impossible"
Hi Wookie, nice to see you posting.

I'm thinking of getting Tony Hawk's as well as Ridge Racer.

Possibly getting Tiger Woods, as I love the series so much on the home consoles, but it's not out for a while.

I've been searching gamespot for the new games coming out and it really gives a good idea of what to expect.
Tue 02/08/05 at 19:02
Regular
"Ruddie1"
What ever you do do NOT get FIFA please!!
Tue 02/08/05 at 19:33
"High polygon count"
pb - Hi!

There's no way I'll be getting Tony Hawks as I can't stand skateboarding games! I'd been thinking of getting Everybody's Golf rather than Tiger Woods; the snooker game also looks promising... but I'm not completely sure about either game one way or the other yet.
Tue 02/08/05 at 22:01
"High polygon count"
Bonus wrote:
> It is Gamespot's top rated PSP game after all, above all the games
> you mentioned ;).

Speaking of Gamespot - am I the only person who sees nothing at all when I try to watch their video clips?

It's the only site I have any problem with - video from everywhere else is fine, but on Gamespot I get the sound and nothing else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.