GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bands that just don't rock ENOUGH"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/08/05 at 20:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I've got quite a big catalogue of music on my PC and on my shelves, and every time another album skips round on random that I haven't heard in a while, I often find myself thinking 'whatever happened to these guys? They used to ROCK.' There's so many bands out there that absolutely have the potential to be amazing in every way, but are seemingly more content to put out cruddy ballads or boffo electronica to try and alienate as many people as possible, thus proving their artistic integrity. Either that or they just started to suck. A few examples:

Radiohead Please please please don't turn this into a Radiohead sucks/Radiohead rules thread, because that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that after listening to the Bends, I'm gagging for them to go back and write some songs that try to tear the roof off the joint - they haven't let loose for ages, but when they used to play My Iron Lung or even Paranoid Android, no one could touch them. Please start rocking again.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club I've got both of their albums and on each there are a couple of amazing songs that attempt to shatter the inside of your head they're so awesome, but the rest of them albums are full of dreary Jesus & Mary Chain knock-offs and show-gazing nonsense. Whatever Happened To My Rock N Roll is fantastic, Six Barrell Shotgun likewise. Why no more of these ones, boys?

Cooper Temple Clause I remember one of the albums I was most excited about a few years ago was the new Coopers album, because I loved most of the tracks on the first one, and the new single Promises Promises was the best song I had heard that year. Why then, was the album a complete Cleveland steamer? Why not turn the fuzzbox up and drown out the singer's whiny voice, rather than messing about with lame effects and the kind of sounds you get on your school keyboard.

Audioslave First album = ace, not a patch on Rage but Cochise and Set it Off were great, rest of the LP was not far behind. Second album? Still hasn't grabbed me yet, just lots of shouting while Tom Morello puts his pedals on Hold and wishes he'd gone to be a Mexican freedom fighter with Zach. How can a band with such a great heritage turn into a band with no balls?

There are more, but I'm too depressed to think of them. I'm going to put Evil Empire on and put my head through the ceiling.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:24
Regular
"8==="
Stryke wrote:
> They were punk, back in the day. Hope Is Important/100 Broken Windows.
> Then they got a bit more mature (and mattribute therefore doesn't like
> them now) and went towards an REM sort of sound.

Yeah the track sort of reminds me of REM but with no moping and a faster pace.

You should still get some My Vitriol. I bet it's your cup of tea.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:23
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Chipseh wrote:
> I don't think I can be on good terms with you anymore, RBS.
> :D
>
> Heh. But come on. Standing On The Shoulders of Giants? Bland. Don't
> Believe The Truth? Bland.
>
> The Masterplan, 'cking AWESOME.

SOTSOG wasn't their best, but it wasn't exactly bad, either. DBTT was genius... it really, really grew on me. Bah to you. :P

And yes, The Masterplan is fantastic. Seeing Champagne Supernova live was... well, I was awe-struck.
Regular
The new album is awesome. Get El Capitan - that's my favourite song from it.
Regular
"8==="
PJ Harvey, that's good stuff.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:22
Regular
"You've upset me"
Stryke wrote:
> Alright. But you get some Idlewild.

I've got "In Remote Part". Good enough for you? Nothing I've heard off the new album has convinced me to get it.

And listen to something else
> other than Big Star ;)

There's two excuses/reasons for that. 1) I've only just recently actually got anything other than Thirteen and The Ballad of El Goodo. Hence there is much full album listening going on. 2) They're awesome.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:21
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
gimo80 wrote:
> Chipseh wrote:
> gimo80 wrote:
>
> I still love rocking out to a good old bit of Pumpkins. And Pearl
> Jam. Ahh, good times.
>
> Hell yeah, bring it on. :)
>
> Siamese Dream? Ten? *orgasms*

Siamese Dream.... aaaah, *such* a good album. It really is.

Ten, I liked (and very much so), but I feel that to get the best feel for PJ you have to listen to all their albums, and then choose the best songs off of each.

So yeah, a "Greatest Hits" album, really. Oh man, that would kick ass.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:21
Regular
They were punk, back in the day. Hope Is Important/100 Broken Windows. Then they got a bit more mature (and mattribute therefore doesn't like them now) and went towards an REM sort of sound.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:19
Regular
"8==="
Ah yes Idlewild, they're quite rocky in a punk way from what I've heard.

I have some track that goes "and you will always be yourself" etc etc.

I forget the name, but I like it.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:19
Regular
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Stryke wrote:
> 'fraid not. All I've heard by them is Bohemian Like You and We Used
> To Be Friends.
>
> "Get Off" is by far the best song on the album. Get that.

--

Alright. But you get some Idlewild. And listen to something else other than Big Star ;)
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:17
Regular
"You've upset me"
Stryke wrote:
> 'fraid not. All I've heard by them is Bohemian Like You and We Used
> To Be Friends.

"Get Off" is by far the best song on the album. Get that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.