GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bands that just don't rock ENOUGH"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/08/05 at 20:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I've got quite a big catalogue of music on my PC and on my shelves, and every time another album skips round on random that I haven't heard in a while, I often find myself thinking 'whatever happened to these guys? They used to ROCK.' There's so many bands out there that absolutely have the potential to be amazing in every way, but are seemingly more content to put out cruddy ballads or boffo electronica to try and alienate as many people as possible, thus proving their artistic integrity. Either that or they just started to suck. A few examples:

Radiohead Please please please don't turn this into a Radiohead sucks/Radiohead rules thread, because that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that after listening to the Bends, I'm gagging for them to go back and write some songs that try to tear the roof off the joint - they haven't let loose for ages, but when they used to play My Iron Lung or even Paranoid Android, no one could touch them. Please start rocking again.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club I've got both of their albums and on each there are a couple of amazing songs that attempt to shatter the inside of your head they're so awesome, but the rest of them albums are full of dreary Jesus & Mary Chain knock-offs and show-gazing nonsense. Whatever Happened To My Rock N Roll is fantastic, Six Barrell Shotgun likewise. Why no more of these ones, boys?

Cooper Temple Clause I remember one of the albums I was most excited about a few years ago was the new Coopers album, because I loved most of the tracks on the first one, and the new single Promises Promises was the best song I had heard that year. Why then, was the album a complete Cleveland steamer? Why not turn the fuzzbox up and drown out the singer's whiny voice, rather than messing about with lame effects and the kind of sounds you get on your school keyboard.

Audioslave First album = ace, not a patch on Rage but Cochise and Set it Off were great, rest of the LP was not far behind. Second album? Still hasn't grabbed me yet, just lots of shouting while Tom Morello puts his pedals on Hold and wishes he'd gone to be a Mexican freedom fighter with Zach. How can a band with such a great heritage turn into a band with no balls?

There are more, but I'm too depressed to think of them. I'm going to put Evil Empire on and put my head through the ceiling.
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:21
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm happy to say apart from seeing a glimpse of Franz Ferdinand on Jools Holland, I am unfamiliar with Kaiser Cheifs etc.
And if you think they're anything other than flavour of the month, clear some space in your drawer beside The Strokes, Dandy Warhols and other "Noo Yoik" style bands.
Just in case.
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:19
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
> Because now they have to compete with the bands like Franz Ferdinand,
> the River Island Men's Department of music.

--

Best description of FF ever.

Even worse than FF are Kaiser Chiefs - FF wannabes.

Once I couldn't get a train home from an Idlewild gig in Leeds because there was a Kaiser Chiefs gig on at the same time and it finished a bit earlier (probably because it was past that retard lead singer's bedtime), so all the Chiefs fans got on the train first. 'Tards.
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:18
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Havent heard the new Audioslave album to be honest, but I can imagine Cornell is singing more about jesus and mumbling.
Yep Radiohead used to rock, OK Computer has some incredible moments.

You're just looking in the wrong places, instead of hoping bands that feature on Kerrang TV will rock your block, go get some quality stuff.
Go download these:

Clutch "The Incomparable Mr Flannery" or "Tim Sult vs The Greys"
Helmet "Meantime" or "Unsung"
Fudge Tunnel "Teeth" or "SRT"
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:17
Regular
"8==="
*Paints 11 on speaker dial*

*Sells for £60,000*

*Repeats*
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:17
Regular
I thought Cooper Temple Clause were going to be huge after their first album. I mean, who hasn't heard Who Needs Enemies? Massive track, the kind of song a band that wants to be around for long periods of time releases. I also remember getting excited about the 2nd album, and now it's languishing in some drawer somewhere in my collection along with stuff like JEEP by the 'Phonics and Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. As a result, I don't even listen to See This Through And Leave all that often. I'm going to now, though.

Have they got any plans for a 3rd? I don't suppose there's a hope in hell it'll reach the old heights?

Didn't think so. Also, on the Radiohead front - I really like Hail To The Thief, but I'm not a big Radiohead fan. I like HTTT, The Bends as albums. I like Karma Police and Talk Show Host, but on the whole I don't like OK Computer. Just doesn't click with me. I'm sure Thom cares, little mouse-faced weirdo.
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:13
Regular
Audioslave confuse me. Out of Exile is just such a pile of dung, how can such excellent musicians create such crap? Morello could write half the stuff in his sleep.
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:13
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Because now they have to compete with the bands like Franz Ferdinand, the River Island Men's Department of music.
Mon 01/08/05 at 20:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I've got quite a big catalogue of music on my PC and on my shelves, and every time another album skips round on random that I haven't heard in a while, I often find myself thinking 'whatever happened to these guys? They used to ROCK.' There's so many bands out there that absolutely have the potential to be amazing in every way, but are seemingly more content to put out cruddy ballads or boffo electronica to try and alienate as many people as possible, thus proving their artistic integrity. Either that or they just started to suck. A few examples:

Radiohead Please please please don't turn this into a Radiohead sucks/Radiohead rules thread, because that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that after listening to the Bends, I'm gagging for them to go back and write some songs that try to tear the roof off the joint - they haven't let loose for ages, but when they used to play My Iron Lung or even Paranoid Android, no one could touch them. Please start rocking again.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club I've got both of their albums and on each there are a couple of amazing songs that attempt to shatter the inside of your head they're so awesome, but the rest of them albums are full of dreary Jesus & Mary Chain knock-offs and show-gazing nonsense. Whatever Happened To My Rock N Roll is fantastic, Six Barrell Shotgun likewise. Why no more of these ones, boys?

Cooper Temple Clause I remember one of the albums I was most excited about a few years ago was the new Coopers album, because I loved most of the tracks on the first one, and the new single Promises Promises was the best song I had heard that year. Why then, was the album a complete Cleveland steamer? Why not turn the fuzzbox up and drown out the singer's whiny voice, rather than messing about with lame effects and the kind of sounds you get on your school keyboard.

Audioslave First album = ace, not a patch on Rage but Cochise and Set it Off were great, rest of the LP was not far behind. Second album? Still hasn't grabbed me yet, just lots of shouting while Tom Morello puts his pedals on Hold and wishes he'd gone to be a Mexican freedom fighter with Zach. How can a band with such a great heritage turn into a band with no balls?

There are more, but I'm too depressed to think of them. I'm going to put Evil Empire on and put my head through the ceiling.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.