GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bands that just don't rock ENOUGH"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 01/08/05 at 20:10
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I've got quite a big catalogue of music on my PC and on my shelves, and every time another album skips round on random that I haven't heard in a while, I often find myself thinking 'whatever happened to these guys? They used to ROCK.' There's so many bands out there that absolutely have the potential to be amazing in every way, but are seemingly more content to put out cruddy ballads or boffo electronica to try and alienate as many people as possible, thus proving their artistic integrity. Either that or they just started to suck. A few examples:

Radiohead Please please please don't turn this into a Radiohead sucks/Radiohead rules thread, because that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that after listening to the Bends, I'm gagging for them to go back and write some songs that try to tear the roof off the joint - they haven't let loose for ages, but when they used to play My Iron Lung or even Paranoid Android, no one could touch them. Please start rocking again.

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club I've got both of their albums and on each there are a couple of amazing songs that attempt to shatter the inside of your head they're so awesome, but the rest of them albums are full of dreary Jesus & Mary Chain knock-offs and show-gazing nonsense. Whatever Happened To My Rock N Roll is fantastic, Six Barrell Shotgun likewise. Why no more of these ones, boys?

Cooper Temple Clause I remember one of the albums I was most excited about a few years ago was the new Coopers album, because I loved most of the tracks on the first one, and the new single Promises Promises was the best song I had heard that year. Why then, was the album a complete Cleveland steamer? Why not turn the fuzzbox up and drown out the singer's whiny voice, rather than messing about with lame effects and the kind of sounds you get on your school keyboard.

Audioslave First album = ace, not a patch on Rage but Cochise and Set it Off were great, rest of the LP was not far behind. Second album? Still hasn't grabbed me yet, just lots of shouting while Tom Morello puts his pedals on Hold and wishes he'd gone to be a Mexican freedom fighter with Zach. How can a band with such a great heritage turn into a band with no balls?

There are more, but I'm too depressed to think of them. I'm going to put Evil Empire on and put my head through the ceiling.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:40
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
gimo80 wrote:
> No, no, no, no!! I was being sarcastic! I said I was being sarcastic
> later on in the thread!
>
> I personally hate The Smiths with all my might. And Morissey? Yuck.
---

Ah, fair enough.
But you're wrong, The Smiths are most excellent.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:36
Regular
"8==="
I used to get decent stuff of Rock Sound CDs, might subscribe when I've got the cash (if the mag's still going). Didn't like the usual offerings from Metal Hammer though.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:35
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Goatboy wrote:
> gimo80 wrote:
> The Bravery are very much like The Smiths.
>
> And The Smiths are mind blowingly heavy. And good...
> ----------
>
> Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
> One thing The Smiths aren't/weren't was heavy. That was why fey
> vegans loved them so, angst wrapped in pop tunes. Heaven Knows I'm
> Miserable Now? Girlfriend in a Coma?
> I saw them twice, and my favourite gig was Morissey fleeing the stage
> in tears because somebody lobbed a sausage onstage.
> That's not heavy.
>
> Check out My Bloody Valentine. They had a section live called
> "The Holocaust" that reduced people to feeling ill because
> it was so loud and rumbly.

No, no, no, no!! I was being sarcastic! I said I was being sarcastic later on in the thread!

I personally hate The Smiths with all my might. And Morissey? Yuck.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:35
Regular
"You've upset me"
Goatboy wrote:

He was being sarcastic.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:33
Regular
"You've upset me"
Chipseh wrote:
> Fade Away... Acquiesce... Headshrinker... Stay Young... and so on.
>
> Aah. :)

Indeed. Rockin' Chair... Half The World Away... Underneath The Sky...
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:33
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
gimo80 wrote:
> The Bravery are very much like The Smiths.
>
> And The Smiths are mind blowingly heavy. And good...
----------

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh
One thing The Smiths aren't/weren't was heavy. That was why fey vegans loved them so, angst wrapped in pop tunes. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now? Girlfriend in a Coma?
I saw them twice, and my favourite gig was Morissey fleeing the stage in tears because somebody lobbed a sausage onstage.
That's not heavy.

Check out My Bloody Valentine. They had a section live called "The Holocaust" that reduced people to feeling ill because it was so loud and rumbly.
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:32
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
RastaBillySkank wrote:

> And yes, The Masterplan is fantastic.
>
> I love B-side albums because more often than not they contain some
> real gems of tracks.

Fade Away... Acquiesce... Headshrinker... Stay Young... and so on.

Aah. :)
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:27
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Chipseh wrote:
> gimo80 wrote:
> Chipseh wrote:
> gimo80 wrote:
>
> I still love rocking out to a good old bit of Pumpkins. And Pearl
> Jam. Ahh, good times.
>
> Hell yeah, bring it on. :)
>
> Siamese Dream? Ten? *orgasms*
>
> Siamese Dream.... aaaah, *such* a good album. It really is.
>
> Ten, I liked (and very much so), but I feel that to get the best feel
> for PJ you have to listen to all their albums, and then choose the
> best songs off of each.
>
> So yeah, a "Greatest Hits" album, really. Oh man, that
> would kick ass.

Yeah, Pearl Jam have released a Greatest Hits called RearViewMirror (yup, a song from VS, I know :D). I have Yeild, Vitalogy, VS and Ten and yeah they are all terrific, Vitalogy being the weirdest and maye the weakest.

Apparently their latest album is incredibly generic. Well I'll get it anyway.

As for Smashing Pumpkins, whoa! SUCH a good band. I really need a face to face chat to really express myself. Sorry, I'm just a little enthusiastic about music :p
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:27
Regular
"You've upset me"
Tell you what Gaz, I'll shut up about Big Star if you download 4 of their songs. I'll never mention them to you again, won't even try to persuade you of their awesomeness. But only if you actually listen to them.

Ballad of El Goodo
O My Soul
What's Going Ahn
September Gurls
Mon 01/08/05 at 23:24
Regular
"You've upset me"
Chipseh wrote:
> SOTSOG wasn't their best, but it wasn't exactly bad, either. DBTT
> was genius... it really, really grew on me. Bah to you. :P
>

Didn't say it was bad, just bland. Listenable but nowhere, NOWHERE near their best.

> And yes, The Masterplan is fantastic.

I love B-side albums because more often than not they contain some real gems of tracks.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.