GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking (thread closed)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/07/05 at 20:53
Regular
"Not a Jew"
This isn't another "omgay, smokin is bad 4 u!!!" but more of a question to anyone here who smokes - is it just the cardboard chemical crap from the UK/US companies or more rarer exotic stuff like Giantes? Not a smoker myself but I'd like to know.
Wed 13/07/05 at 11:06
Regular
"serenity now!"
For the first time in ten years (that I can remember) I went without a cigarette yesterday - usually I smoke nearly 15-20 a day. The health consequences have never been the main issue for me, I always figured I'd give up before it got that bad. For me, the main factor in giving up is the cost of it - it's a very expensive habit. Plus of course its a pointless one, although occasionally I do enjoy the taste, feel etc. of one.

Still not smoked a ciggie today either, so its going pretty well. All this talking is making me think about it tho...

edit: regarding the "cool" factor, no-one actually ever says "smoke this, you'll look cool" but it is something that's frowned upon or banned by teachers and parents so it's always gonna have an appeal.
Wed 13/07/05 at 11:04
Regular
"The definitive tag"
gimo80 wrote:
> To be honest, while I don't mind people smoking, it's just the reason
> why people urge to do it in the first place.

Youngsters can be influenced heavily by their friends, so if their friends are telling them its 'cool' to smoke then they'll probably have a bash at it. Some will find out it's not nice and a rather pointless thing to do, but unfortunately a lot won't.

After they've been 'cool' for a while, they naturally become addicted to the nicotine and then they're condemned to wasting their money on cancer sticks for the rest of the phlegmy life.
Wed 13/07/05 at 10:47
Regular
"Divine Davine"
To be hones**t, while I don't mind people smoking, it's jus**t the reason why people urge to do it in the firs**t place. Not that I am having a go and saying that I am right and everything for being clean, but it's jus**t that you see the adverts incessantly plaguing the telly - I mean, don't the consequences put you off?

I remember when I firs**t tried it, and I jus**t thought 'how the hell can you get addicted to this?' I didn't think it looked cool, and it made my breath smell like sh*t. Sometime after, I got pier pressured into doing weed (but I am now far more confident to say no), and I did that for a little while. Although I've now s**topped, its jus**t that smoking a regular fag seems a tad pointless personally as there is no effect - I can definitely see why people would smoke weed, however I don't support it. And although it looks like I have contridicted myself, I hope you know where I'm coming from.
Wed 13/07/05 at 10:47
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Don't smoke cigs, do smoke other things, have no problem with people smoking cos I tend to believe in that little thing called "Personal Freedom".

I'm disappointed to note that no-one has yet made the important point that it is both big and clever to smoke
Wed 13/07/05 at 10:12
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
I smoke quite often. I wouldn't consider myself a 'smoker', because I don't smoke every day - I tend to smoke when I'm out drinking or at festivals or whatever. I've probably smoked a few hundred cigerettes in my life. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this, because I like doing it and it doesn't have seriously detrimental effects upon my health.

Heavy smoking, on the other hand - well, it's going to kill you, isn't it? It's an addictive drug which is in the end going to kill you (whereas Ecstacy, which isn't an addictive drug, is not going to kill you, which shows again how funned up drugs laws are). To be blunt, I don't really care if it kills somebody else whom I don't know. My mum smokes though, and if it kills her I will obviously be incredibly upset. I'm not one for telling people how to act though, so it's not like I want it banned or anything.

Dunno really.
Wed 13/07/05 at 09:02
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Goatboy wrote:
> There, cut that tired argument off at the pass.

Girlfriend's Dad smokes about 20 a day, which doesn't make him a particularly heavy smoker, but he's overweight, already has half a lung missing from an operation years ago, and is on medication for the rest of his life for lack of thyroid. If he misses just one dose of pills he spaces out completely, eyes pop out, looks like he's in a trance - one time he couldn't be woken up, even though girlfriend's Mum was shouting right in his ear. She even got some people passing the house to come in and try to wake him, but eventually he just snapped out of it. Not due to smoking, but it doesn't help.

He has regular coughing fits in the morning and evening, and sometimes in the night, which wakes everyone up, and the sound is just...urgh. He has dark brown teeth. The most disturbing thing is that his Brother died of cancer last year, at the age of 51, which was linked to smoking. This hasn't made him cut down.

Oh, and he's only 45.

So fantastic, yay, me and the girlfriend are going to have to look after a near-vegetable for the rest of his life before he suffers a distressing death, wooh! The knock-on effects aren't just secondary smoking, which I think your comments on are very childish. If I asked you to stop smoking in a public place, would you?

*not a lecture on the evils, just my experience of how smokers end up.
Wed 13/07/05 at 00:40
Regular
"Twenty quid."
I used to smoke cannabis on a daily basis for medicinal purposes but decided to give up just over a year ago - I've smoked it on three occasions since.

The missus gave up smoking fags in January after nearly 20 years - she did by her own choice.

I don't judge anyone anytime so I certainly wouldn't presume to lecture anyone on the "evils" of cigarettes - if you want to smoke then go ahead.
Wed 13/07/05 at 00:05
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I used to smoke Old Holburn handrolled in liquorice Rizlas minus filter. It has a woody/oaky flavour, as opposed to the sweeter Golden Virginia and Amberleaf.
Tue 12/07/05 at 21:11
Regular
"gsybe you!"
:*(
Tue 12/07/05 at 21:09
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
So just me smokes here, yet all manner of assclowns and wannabes feel the need to post something, anything rather than think "Nope, not relevant to me"

I'd like you punch your mothers in the teat.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.