GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Smoking (thread closed)"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 12/07/05 at 20:53
Regular
"Not a Jew"
This isn't another "omgay, smokin is bad 4 u!!!" but more of a question to anyone here who smokes - is it just the cardboard chemical crap from the UK/US companies or more rarer exotic stuff like Giantes? Not a smoker myself but I'd like to know.
Wed 13/07/05 at 13:30
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
I don't get a lot of peoples problems with smoking. Fair enough, if someone is smoking in a place they shouldn't like a restaurant or somewhere like that, and the smoke is bothering you, then you're quite within your rights to ask them kindly to put it out. But most people don't, and would rather sit and tut and complain without actually doing anything about it. If you do ask them to put it out, then 99% of people will apologise and stub it out. If they refuse, it's not because smoking has made them evil, it's because they're a dick.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:29
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Everybody wrote:
> utter balls

Nah, I'm bored of this, where's Dringo I hear he likes to 'light-up'.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:21
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Gah, i should have refreshed the page first.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:21
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
monkey_man wrote:
> Light wrote:
> Don't smoke cigs, do smoke other things, have no problem with people
> smoking cos I tend to believe in that little thing called
> "Personal Freedom".
>
> Then by that logic it's my personal freedom to criticise you for
> smoking.

True enough. But when it comes to the secondary smoke argument...well, are you as vocal about cars? The pollution from them damages ones health. Do you ask people not to drive down your road to avoid any damage?

I'm not trying to be smarmy here, it's just that I kinda get annoyed by a "I don't smoke ergo no-one should" attitude. I agree with you that if someone asks a smoker to stop smoking in their presence, it's courtesy to do so. But beyond that...well, I find a lot of the "Stop people smoking" arguments have their roots in the same well of egocentricity as the "Stop people taking drugs" arguments.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:20
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Goatboy wrote:
> monkey_man wrote:
> Girlfriend's Dad smokes about 20 a day, which doesn't make him a
> particularly heavy smoker, but he's overweight, already has half a
> lung missing from an operation years ago, and is on medication for
> the rest of his life for lack of thyroid.
>
> So his thyroid problem is cigarette related?
> And being overweight?
> And was his lung operation related to smoking?
> That's not meant to sound moody, genuine questions.
> Because some people develop all manner of problems as smokers, and
> just as many develop all manner of problems as non-smokers.
> Just because your gf's dad unfortunately has these issues, it doesn't
> apply to every other smoker in the world.

> monkey_man wrote:
> Not due to smoking, but it doesn't help.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
monkey_man wrote:
> Not due to smoking, but it doesn't help.

Back at ya, Goaty.
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:15
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
monkey_man wrote:
> Girlfriend's Dad smokes about 20 a day, which doesn't make him a
> particularly heavy smoker, but he's overweight, already has half a
> lung missing from an operation years ago, and is on medication for
> the rest of his life for lack of thyroid.

So his thyroid problem is cigarette related?
And being overweight?
And was his lung operation related to smoking?
That's not meant to sound moody, genuine questions.
Because some people develop all manner of problems as smokers, and just as many develop all manner of problems as non-smokers.
Just because your gf's dad unfortunately has these issues, it doesn't apply to every other smoker in the world.

>The knock-on effects aren't just secondary
> smoking, which I think your comments on are very childish. If I
> asked you to stop smoking in a public place, would you?

It depends on what the place was. If it's outside somewhere, then no I wouldn't. I do agree with non-smoking on planes/buses/restaraunts and other confined areas. But if I'm in the street or in a park and you ask, you'll get no quarter from me.
And I don't think my comments were childish, I honestly genuine don't care about secondary smoke.

This is my final post in this thread, because I contributed last month to exactly the same thread.
Next month - God vs Science
September - Why is life hard for teens?
October - Violence in The Media
November - Why can't The English celebrate being English

Repeat
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:13
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Light wrote:
> Don't smoke cigs, do smoke other things, have no problem with people
> smoking cos I tend to believe in that little thing called
> "Personal Freedom".

Then by that logic it's my personal freedom to criticise you for smoking.

In the home anything goes - it's your personal, private space, you can cull seals there as long as it doesn't spill into my garden. But in public it's a different matter, you can't deny that it could affect other people. I can't imagine a situation where it would affect anyone though, unless someone was deliberately blowing smoke in your eyes, but it's still inconsiderate if someone refuses to stop smoking around you and there's a legitimate reason to ask.

Restaurants have no smoking zones, so you can't argue that it gets in your food. What's the deal with the no smoking laws you see on the news between bomb scares? I don't agree that it should be banned in public, the zones are enough. Banning it everywhere is an over the top measure, and it'll lead to more twitchy shootings up the town.

> I'm disappointed to note that no-one has yet made the important point
> that it is both big and clever to smoke

No, that's swearing.

It's an addiction. Nobody needs to smoke. Why should I suffer because you can't control your willpower? You need Paul McKenna (why is he always looking in mirrors in those adverts - surely he'd hypnotise himself?).

And Goaty said something a while back about "you spend that much in a month on sweets" to justify the cost of World of Woodcroft. How much would you save if you quit smoking? You could take up sweets again!
Wed 13/07/05 at 12:08
Regular
"360: swfcman"
I hate smoking, and the sight of smoking. My dad smokes and it really annoys me. Hes smoked since he was young, then about 4 years ago stopped, of his own will. Then about 3 months ago, he started again. I guess its an addiction you never really lose and after fight everyday if you want to stop. Thats one reason why i never will. Also, i lost both my Grandads early due to illness caused somewhat by smoking.

Also i hate seeing Girls smoke, i just have a real problem with the image, it just looks wrong to me, something horrible about it. My gf while wasnt a smoker, had one or two now and again and i didnt like it, so made her stop. If i was single and out looking, if i saw a girl i perhaps liked, and she smoked, i wouldnt go near. Sounds perhaps a little extreme, but its the way i am.

The cost is an issue too, im not going to tell anyone how to spend there money, but to me it seems a complete waste.

None of my friends smoke either, and i think these days it just depends what social group you end up in. If one of your friends ends up smoking, then the people in the group tend to be peer pressured into it too. Of course, its not as black and white as that, but just in general.

Oh, and smoking has never ever looked cool.

This is just all my opinion anyway.
Wed 13/07/05 at 11:20
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Well keep going mate, and be headstrong.

Going back to Chr1s, you are definitely right there. A lot of my mates, at first, where disgusted by the taste of the smoke, however in an act to look cool, they would keep on doing it to the point where they now crave for it.

What a lot of people do when they smoke is have a fag in a routine. Let's say you wake up in the morning with a cup of tea - most people have a fag with their's. Then at work, its your break time, and they have a fag. In the end it will become spontaneous, and is a factor of why people find it so hard to quit - because of the routine they do it in. And when they don't do the routine they are used to, its very hard for them, especially when your mates do it.

Keep going, you'll be fine Smv.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.