GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"War Of The Worlds"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 21/06/05 at 13:19
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
So anyone seeing this when it comes out ? :-) I'm looking forward to it big time ! I was saying ages ago how there should be a remake of this film, and just a couple of days later, I'm looking around film sites and there was news of this one being made !

And just to add to it, the release of the film pretty much lands on my birthday ! The old film is one of my favourites so its cool to have the new one arrive for my birthday. ;-)

I've been watching trailers for it since around Christmas time, but I've managed to avoid seeing this one thats supposedly doing the rounds online that shows the Martian war machines. Don't want to see them in all their glory till I see the film. :-)

Gonna be going on Thursday 30th June seeing as they start showing the film in Basildon a day early. ;-)
Sun 10/07/05 at 21:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
It looks beyond dire. There's a website about somewhere where they're all pleased that they started making the film before Spielberg...then, er, some trailers for it...
Sun 10/07/05 at 21:14
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
I'm stunned by the level of geekery in this thread. Savatt, lighten up, you've got the pentdragon and the Wayne version in 2007 if your so upset about the Spielberg / Cruise one. It's a movie. It's entertainment. It's not real. I'm a huge fan of the story (I was brought up on Wells, Stephenson and the like) and had a blast. Calm down. :D

Shame the Pentdragon one looks like it's going to suck absolute ballox.

Go read this [URL]http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671033891/ref=br_lf_b_3/026-9490000-1988460[/URL]

You'll enjoy it. whats the point of bitching on about a movie that you can't change?
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:22
Regular
monkey_man wrote:

> Is the Artilleryman just a character?

The artilleryman was in the first fight against the martians, a fight which if I remember correctly (I haven't read it for a while now) manages to take down one of the martian scout machines.

The main character and the artilleryman change paths and end up meeting each other near the end of the story. He's slightly mad and thinks that with a little help, he can start an underground city that humans can live in until they capture a martian machine to use it against them.

The main character, thankfully, doesn't share his view.
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:17
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Did you have to quote my whole message ? Anyway, we're not gonna meet eye to eye on this so its not worth carrying on over it.

As for the book questions - the Thunderchild is a warship that comes to the rescue of a steamboat that is about to be attacked. It blasts one Martian, rams a second then if I remember right, collides with a third, all guns blazing and thats where it meets its end. A great fight which I doubt we'll ever see on a film version because of a few reasons.

The Artilleryman is a character the lead character meets early on in the Martian attack. He is the sole survivor of his battalion and makes his way back to a barracks. Later on hes encountered again and shares his views on the Martians and his idea of the underground world. For all his vision though, the efforts in making them work doesn't quite compare.
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:09
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Savatt78 wrote:
> I'm not saying the film has to be the same word for word, or even in
> the same year. What I'm saying is that key things should be kept
> such as the ending, the cylinders and that its not reduced to an
> America saves the world film (and yes I know the new film doesn't do
> the America saves the world bit, I'm saying that no version should
> ever reduce it to that).
>
> Again, I'm a fan of the old film which didn't follow the book word
> for word - but it still kept the core of the story. I found this to
> be more of a film about a father and his two annoying kids whining at
> eachother with Martians occasionally rudely interuppting their
> arguements.
>
> The film isn't crap, I just don't see why Spielberg had to come up
> with a whole new arrival for the Martians when the existing one was
> great and would have looked amazing with the effects that are done
> now. At least Jeff Wayne is making the CGI version I suppose, but I
> was hoping Spielbergs big budget version was gonna deliver the
> version of the story I've been dying to see. Unfortunatly, thats not
> the case and I'll be hoping someone else does oneday.
>
> At the end of the day, George Lucas made the Star Wars story and no
> matter what people think of episodes 1, 2 and 3, the story is Lucas'
> vision and his story. When you take an existing story, you take
> someone elses vision and chances are that that story has some form of
> fanbase who know the story inside out and will be really eager to see
> it on the big screen in all its glory with great effects.
> When the director takes his own route on key moments, there will be
> people that are disappointed - such as me in this case and the
> disappointment can increase when you've been waiting a long time to
> see it.

Maybe they should have just composited Tom Cruise's face into the old one? Would that have made you happy? It's a different film, by different people, for different people, using different film-making methods, with a different director and actors and everything! Different!
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:07
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I ordered the book, I'm interested to see what wasn't 'updated' for this version.

Thunderchild is the steamboat that manages to ram a few tripods, right? A modern-day scene like that would have been super-awesome yay!

Is the Artilleryman just a character?
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:06
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'm not saying the film has to be the same word for word, or even in the same year. What I'm saying is that key things should be kept such as the ending, the cylinders and that its not reduced to an America saves the world film (and yes I know the new film doesn't do the America saves the world bit, I'm saying that no version should ever reduce it to that).

Again, I'm a fan of the old film which didn't follow the book word for word - but it still kept the core of the story. I found this to be more of a film about a father and his two annoying kids whining at eachother with Martians occasionally rudely interuppting their arguements.

The film isn't crap, I just don't see why Spielberg had to come up with a whole new arrival for the Martians when the existing one was great and would have looked amazing with the effects that are done now. At least Jeff Wayne is making the CGI version I suppose, but I was hoping Spielbergs big budget version was gonna deliver the version of the story I've been dying to see. Unfortunatly, thats not the case and I'll be hoping someone else does oneday.

At the end of the day, George Lucas made the Star Wars story and no matter what people think of episodes 1, 2 and 3, the story is Lucas' vision and his story. When you take an existing story, you take someone elses vision and chances are that that story has some form of fanbase who know the story inside out and will be really eager to see it on the big screen in all its glory with great effects.
When the director takes his own route on key moments, there will be people that are disappointed - such as me in this case and the disappointment can increase when you've been waiting a long time to see it.
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:05
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Yep, I'm as surprised as you are that the swear filter didn't get it!
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:03
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
dick
Sun 10/07/05 at 19:02
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
We always used to listen to this on the way to Spain for our summer holiday each year.

Still quite cool to listen to. They've just introduced that thicko character who thinks he can build an underground city, although he hasn't made a dick of himself yet he was just describing the machines.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.