GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Get a life, for God's sake"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 19/06/05 at 18:52
Regular
***DO NOT READ IF HEAVILY RELIGIOUS AND THEREFORE OFFENDED BY EVERYTHING***

I'm sorry about moaning so much on such a lovely Sunday afternoon, and who knows, maybe the heat has got me in a state where I'm annoyed far too easily, but I thought this had to be said:

Religious people (aimed primarily at people who have extreme Christian beliefs) and idiots who campaign against any form of media that contains even slight amounts of mature content, please shut up. Why are you offended by absolutely everything? Why do you seek to get all computer games that aren't specially made (and therefore crap) Christian titles banned? Why do you see it necessary to force your opinions on to everyone else? Why do you write 5-page letters of complaint about games that you haven't even played?

Reading up on the internet on a Christian organisation's reviews of games, I was actually offended at some of the complete and total rubbish they wrote. Check out these quotes:

In a review of Gran Turismo 3: "..the soundtrack of rock music may concern..."
Right. So that's the soundtrack that contains no explicit or offensive lyrics at all, then?

In a review of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee: "I cannot recommend the game to anyone less than 17 years old."
Erm...why?
"...the game is filled with occultic overtones, shamans, chanting, resurrecting the dead..."
It's a bloody game!

The quotes were taken from: http://christiananswers.net/spotlight/games

Mary Whitehouse was another one who really annoyed me. I remember watching a clip of her on a programme during C4's 'banned season' where she accused people who enjoy watching violent or offensive films as "lacking in intelligence". I see that as being kind of ironic coming from a raging homophobe.

But then, I guess these kind of people are too stupid to realise that the more fuss they stir up, the better the game/film they are trying to ban will sell.

Nevertheless, I hate them all.
Wed 22/06/05 at 11:40
Regular
"Divine Davine"
Look at the Nintendo 64 section, and you will find even the most innocent of all games are slightly offensive. Banjo Kazooie is offensive because at the end, a girl wearing a bikini confronts you. Mario 64 is offensive becasue the mini boss with the hands and the eye in the middle is an occultic symbol.

Oh dear God. Whoops.
Wed 22/06/05 at 11:24
Regular
It does amuse me how they take a game that we find relatively harmless, like Zelda Orcarina of time and Final Fantasy 7, and have real concern over the fantasy side, like the magic in Orcarina:

There is danger here for the romantic child who might find the idea of Christianity too "normal" and workaday. In the world of spirituality, too many people are attracted to the idea of a romantic religion. They want knights and quests and initiations in their Christianity or they will have nothing. This game isn't as bad as the "Zork" trilogy where the temptation of worldly and spiritual wisdom could really plant a seed of gnosticism in a child. But a child playing this game should be given a little talk. And, comparisons made to spiritual quests should be mentioned by the parent if the parent sees the chance.

and the Mako Stream in FF7:

A central theme of this game is the theory that when you die, your soul (mako energy) goes back into the earth's "life stream." Whenever a new life is formed (people, plants, animals) it gets its soul from the life stream that runs through the planet. This teaching very similar to the lie of reincarnation. After the beginning of the game, this becomes a MAJOR part of the story, and it is something to watch out for. My Ratings: [3/5]

(that one was a person writing in. Still funny.)

My favourite one, perhaps, is the Goldeneye review, where a guy reviewed it admiting that he could only play the game for 15 minutes at a time (so his review was based a a few 15 minute blasts, probably at watching his son play it) and then going into hilarious detail at how offensive it was.
There were a couple of adult "write in" reviewers, one saying that he was offered $50 for his copy but it had to be destroyed.
Then there was the kids section.
They put those stupid grown-ups in their place! ;-)
Wed 22/06/05 at 11:04
Regular
Like Goaty said, it's fair enough that they're merely saying their own opinion. And even when they give a game a bad Christian rating, they do point out that they just think that it has elements that CAN offend Christians, although the reviewers tend to have this skill of separating "fantasy" from "reality" so never make a big deal out of things.

I have got some issues with that site though.
I mean, critical reviews of games?
Not a single game got less than 3/5 for the "quality" rating, and they gave Pikmin 4/5 and Jet Force Gemini 3/5. WTF???

The reviews did bring a smile to my face though.
Sonic Heroes was offensive because Amy took the Lord's name in vain.
Zelda Windwaker was offensive because it had a world that consisted of multiple Gods (especially the faeries that resembled an Indian God Shiva) and Conker's Bad Fur Day? It got a 1,5,1,1.

5 for the game quality, the 1s being Christian rating, violence rating and adult rating. :-)
Wed 22/06/05 at 07:29
Regular
Well that shut me up.

:-D
Wed 22/06/05 at 00:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It wasn't any Christian group that tried to get any of those games banned, it was the usual hysterical reactionary media looking for an angle to whip the herd into another rabid frenzy - whilst overlooking the vast hundreds of thousands of people that play those games without going on a rampage of any kind (although San Andreas is infuriating me beyond belief).
As from what I've read of that site, they appear to be supplying "warnings" as they see it to other people that have decided they have a similar value system.

Don't get me wrong, I don't place any stock in the opinions of fundamentalists, regardless of denomination, but neither do I visit websites specifically designed for people that *do* subscribe to that viewpoint and then say they're "forcing their beliefs" onto me.
You decided to visit that site and to link to it, they didn't come here and try to persuade anybody that their version is correct.
I don't remember seeing any reports about Christian groups trying to ban those games you mention. But I do remember the baa-baa behaviour of chainstore retailers removing Manhunter from the shelves because frothing people (not specifically Christians) were dumb enough to take advice from a newspaper and think that anybody playing those games were murderous animals.
Your original post said:
"Why do you seek to get all computer games that aren't specially made (and therefore crap) Christian titles banned? Why do you see it necessary to force your opinions on to everyone else?"

But that site isn't doing anything of the sort, it is providing a Christian view of media.
You single out the Gran Turismo 3 review, highlighting their comments about the soundtrack. But the rest of the review is uniformally good.
"Considering its genre, Christians will have nothing to fear from "Gran Turismo 3". Only the soundtrack of secular rock music may concern, but the excellent sound effects compensate should you wish to turn it off. Believe the hype -- "Grand Turismo" is back."
It's taking one comment out of context to use in your diatribe.

The Oddworld review comment that you choose to highlight is, in context completely different:
"However, I cannot recommend the game to anyone less than 17 years old. Perhaps, this is because I am the father of children younger than 13 and can’t imagine them ever being exposed to the things on the game, but my sensitivity (or hypersensitivity) governing my opinion to recommend the game is for you to judge."
He is admitting his opinion is hypersensitive being a parent and says it's up to the reader to judge, not laying down the law to anybody.
"I cannot recommend the game to the Teen level, which is ascribed to the title. Perhaps, an older more mature Christian could play it, but that must be decided by the parents or the individual" - far from demanding it be banned or not played, he is demanding that parents make their own mind up.

That's quite different from some radical maniac crying for a banning.
Even the Godfather of amoral, degenerate games - Grand Theft Auto 3 - carries a caveat:
"Unquestionably there is a fine, exciting game lurking underneath all the depravity on top, but it’s a personal decision whether or not committing so many virtual sins is worth the unique gaming excitement only "GTA3" can offer."

Again the site stresses it is a personal choice whether to play or not.
This site in particular is far from some preachy, "games are evil" website - it provides an intelligent review of games for people that subscribe to a Christian viewpoint.
I'm not a Christian, but I feel I must defend this site from your rantings - as it simply isn't doing what you say it is.
Read the reviews, all of it instead of taking quotes out of context to fit an argument you have already decided against.
Tue 21/06/05 at 21:40
Regular
Goatboy wrote:
> Why would you go to a Christian website aimed at reviewing games for
> people with similar Christian beliefs, and then proceed to angst
> about it?
>
> That, to me, displays an equal amount of close-mindedness as whatever
> they may feel about a game.
> Live and let live.

Live and let live? As far as Christians are concerned? Right.

Your point would be perfectly valid if only these people understood the meaning of "live and let live". It works both ways. Christians/old people/complaining idiots see a game they find offensive, but rather than taking the high road and simply accepting that some people aren't as 'morally sensitive' as them they insist on doing everything in their power to get the thing banned. Remember the amount of uproar over the GTA series, Manhunt, State of Emergency and the rest? They don't know how to 'live and let live', they see it necessary to force their beliefs and values onto everyone else, and threaten anyone who challenges them with an eternity in 'hell'. And for that I have decided to ridicule them and show just how stupid they really are.
Tue 21/06/05 at 20:37
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Why would you go to a Christian website aimed at reviewing games for people with similar Christian beliefs, and then proceed to angst about it?

That, to me, displays an equal amount of close-mindedness as whatever they may feel about a game.
Live and let live.
Tue 21/06/05 at 20:36
Regular
Alfonse wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
> I'm a christian but not a serious one. I totally agree with you.
>
> Bit ironic seeing as you said it was wrong of journalists to
> broadcast images of starving people...
>
> No not really....
>
> Get someone to explain irony to you as you obviously don't
> understand
> the meaning.
>
> No I get your point. But it's a different matter. And I'm allowed to have my opinions on different matters.
Tue 21/06/05 at 20:35
Regular
Edgy wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
>
>
> No not really....
>
> Get someone to explain irony to you as you obviously don't understand
> the meaning.

No wait I get your point.
Tue 21/06/05 at 20:33
Regular
Alfonse wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> Alfonse wrote:
>
>
> No not really....

Get someone to explain irony to you as you obviously don't understand the meaning.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.