GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Battlefield 2 doesn't start."

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 11/06/05 at 17:04
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I've got the demo but it simply doesn't start. I've since installed the supplied drivers (77.30) but that didn't fix the problem either. The desktop resolution is 1024x768 at 32bit colours by the way. Direct X 9c is installed, graphics card a 6600GT, onboard sound with the A8N-SLI board and an Athlon 64 3800+ processor.
Sun 12/06/05 at 16:42
Regular
gerrid wrote:
> Sounds like a problem with your GFX card for definite. Perhaps it
> doesn't support a certain feature (dynamic shadows or something). I'm
> pretty sure you can turn off shadows before you load the game, though,
> so do that and you shouldn't have the problem. Either that or you need
> new drivers.

My mate has the same problem but how do you turn off dynamic shadows?
Sun 12/06/05 at 14:57
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
gerrid wrote:
> I can't play it because I don't have WinXP. Ha.

Works on Win2k too
Sun 12/06/05 at 14:55
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Possum_Number2 wrote:
> No it's not. I mean yeah, a demo is to test primarily whether it
> works. But the reason it's called a demo is because it's a
> demonstration of the non finished product so there's still prolly
> configurations to be done and everything.
>
> Although, this close to the release date, this prolly is a demo of
> the finished product so you could be right with that whole DX9 non
> supportive thing.

It uses SM 1.4 which is only supported by those cards with full DX9 support. The GF4 series only has partial support for DX9 and does not handle any of the later DX9 routines such as SM 1.4. This also goes for ATi cards, the earliest card from ATi to support DX9 fully was the 9500, anything before this will not work with BF2.

This Demo has also been taken from the final code thats gone Gold, there are no more changes to be made to the game before launch.

It's a harsh fact, but unfortunatey this was eventually going to happen with DX9 games. GF4 and even early VN5xxx cards would be left out of the equation.
Sun 12/06/05 at 14:48
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
monkey_man wrote:
> Tyla what's your X-fire?

Dont use X-fire.

Normally found on any of the servers hosted by [EVO] - www.evoclan.net
Sun 12/06/05 at 13:59
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I can play it but not in full screen. The resolution error is fixed like I've already said, but setting fullscreen to '1' just gives the short black screen to desktop problem again... Set to '0' and it starts fine, and can play the game. But Windowed mode is crap-ish because you can't see it in its full glory on the eyes.

On medium settings I get around 50-60-70fps. Graphics are flawlless but I still prefer the gameplay mechanics of Joint Operations. They're perfect.
Sun 12/06/05 at 13:39
When I got nailed directly by artillery, my body flew up and hit the top of a building, causing the arms and legs to flail and the body to rotate
maybe im just being stupid

in fact, thats probably the case
Sun 12/06/05 at 13:31
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Maybe the level of physics adjusts to suit the processor?

I get hardly anything resembling ragdoll.
Sun 12/06/05 at 13:26
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Perhaps there's ragdoll in the full game. I remember reading that there was.

I can't play it because I don't have WinXP. Ha.
Sun 12/06/05 at 13:18
Sort of.

Dead bodies dont - they're static I believe.
But if there's an explosion and you get killed, there's a low level of ragdoll as you fly through the air (and if you hit objects etc)
Sun 12/06/05 at 13:16
Regular
"I'm not a noob :"
Also, i know the game has physics, does it utilize ragdoll ?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.