GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Lotr Battle for middle earth- beat that!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Lord Of The Rings: Battle For Middle Earth'.
Sun 31/10/04 at 10:44
Regular
"Bobnick"
Lotr Battle for middle earth is great, with its epic battles and control of as many units as you want!! It's a bit annoying cause it's only for PC. But the graphics are so realistic! It comes out (in the UK) on December 6th. Go to: www.eagames.com this is the where you can find the offical website for the game. Now BFME is the best game ever!
Sat 26/03/05 at 12:34
Regular
"Bobnick"
Big Rigs... what's it about??
Sun 13/02/05 at 13:23
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I got bored of Battle for Middle Earth.

The upgrade system it uses is terrible. To acquire some upgrades you must first have certain building gain a specific rank, and the only way to do that is to build more units. But here's the thing, most of the time you population cap will already be full, which means in order to have these buildings gain a rank, you have to sacrifice already existing units to build new ones.

A difficult choice to make considering some of these units could already be veterans from previous battles.

But it doesn't end there. Once you purchase an upgrade, you then have to spend more money buying that upgrade for each individual unit. You'll not realise how stupid this is until you get to the Helms Deep and Minis Tirith levels, where you can't afford upgrades for everyone, which may not be so much of a problem, except if the enemies units are fully upgraded and your aren’t, frankly, you might as well just give up there, unless you enjoy seeing your own army slaughtered.

Anyway, gave up on that, went back to Rome: Total War and remembered why it’s the best strategy game out there.
Sun 13/02/05 at 11:45
Regular
"\\"
Chardieboy wrote:
> ....yawn.... completed BFME weeks ago, now I can't find any better
> games to play... zzzZzzZzZz.

Try Big Rigs. That looks better.
Sun 13/02/05 at 11:43
Regular
"Bobnick"
....yawn.... completed BFME weeks ago, now I can't find any better games to play... zzzZzzZzZz.
Tue 01/02/05 at 20:37
Regular
"Bobnick"
I'm still here! Almost completed B4ME...funky... anyway everything is brill since I changed the costs and everything!
Mon 10/01/05 at 14:20
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Yeah, it was difficult the first time around with so much to concentrate on at once, but second time through I managed to ace it.

Basically you’ve got be fast, very fast with plenty of resources on hand. I built two farms in the main courtyard, and a stable and upgrade place just behind the main gate, though I never really had the time or money to use any upgrades. From then you have to start building as many archers as you can, I never bothered with elvan’s though, they cost more and chew up the troop limit. I also trained two cavalry units, which I used to save the two groups of peasants chassed by those dog things, the reward is a much needed money bonus.

Then the positioning, around four groups of archers where placed above the Main gate, while the rest I poured onto the deeping wall, together with as many hero units as I could. With this I was able to use the archers to for long range attacks while the hero units took care of any berserkers and ladders, in fact I found that hero units can pulverise the ladders in a matter of seconds, and can deal with any Urak-Hai that might have gotten onto the wall with relative ease.

Then it was simply a case of building more units to replace downed troops, using the healing spell where I needed it and having Legolas kill those Mine carrying Orcs. It gets tricky when they move in Ballista’s though, I lost quite a few archers and couldn’t defend the gate so I retreated. All the archers I had where put onto the inner wall while the hero’s stood at the only open entrance. With this I managed to hold off against the bulk of the enemy attack, thanks mainly to the enemies stupidity. They had two ballista’s yet positioned them in such a way that they actually kept firing into the main gatehouse wall, which got no where near my units, making the whole task allot easier.

Also, an exploit I found, I had enough Command Points to summon Elven archers, which I used as the Urak-Hai moved into to position before it launched it’s attack. What I found out was that this bit was scripted, I had three sets of Elfish archers right in the middle of the advancing army, yet they didn’t react to the presence of my reinforcements. So I used them to pick off as many berserkers and ladders before they wised up and attacked. They’re also good for distractions, putting them in the middle of an attacking army means that the enemy suddenly focuses on those reinforcements, which gives you enough time to destroy any ladder that might have made it to the wall.

A pretty decent level once you can get past the initial difficulty, though I didn’t enjoy the base hunting when reinforcements arrived, it seemed a bit unnecessary. Oh well, can’t wait for Minas Tirith.
Sun 09/01/05 at 23:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
cipro wrote:
> I almost gave up it was so dull, thankfully I got to Helms Deep and
> the games been improving ever since.

How the heck did you beat helms deep? It's utterly insane.
Sun 09/01/05 at 23:19
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Chardieboy wrote:
> Come on people I WANT QUESTIONS!!

How much are you getting paid for posting this, and how many other forums are you hitting up with this dribble? How many of those have banned you already?
Sun 09/01/05 at 21:24
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Chardieboy wrote:
> Come on people I WANT QUESTIONS!!

Why is the first half of the game so boring?

"Build six farms"

"Destroy All Evil Camps"

I almost gave up it was so dull, thankfully I got to Helms Deep and the games been improving ever since.

Not a patch on Rome: Total War though, like it was ever going to be.
Sun 09/01/05 at 15:49
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
What is the meaning of life? And can I find the answer in BFME?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.