GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone any experience with DarkBASIC?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/04/05 at 12:08
Regular
I've just decided that I want to create a game. Just to see if I can, basically. However, I have exceedingly limited C knowledge, based on a couple of modules done at university a few years back. This has led me to find something called DarkBASIC.

Anyone used it? Anyone give me any tips / hints etc? Anyone suggest a better program?

And, the big one, and I have no idea how this would work, but anyone want to work with me to create a game?
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:58
DB is remarkably easy for setting up a working prototype of your game. I've used in it the past with several placeholders just to see how the general look of a demo works. However, I usually use Cpp afterwards.
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:50
Regular
Dark Basic is exceedingly limited. I found Blitz 3D to be better, if slightly more complicated.
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:48
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I was going to do some music and sound effects for an animation of his once, but that never came into fruition.

A Western, you say? Could be cool. I've actually got a set of pipes and stuff that do that kind of music, but it can be beefed up a bit. Stoked.
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:35
Regular
Ok. I have no idea how easy this will be or how well it will go, but I'd be interested in getting a few people from here together and see if we could get something up and running.

I remember ages ago Grix was interested in doing a Wild West game, so I've put a thread in chat for him to see, although it's dropping fast....
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:24
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, I'm well up for that, seeing as that's where my degree was heading and everything. I can also code in C, C++, etc., but the DB language looks incredibly simple from the examples I've seen.
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:11
Regular
I think you have to do a little coding, but from what I can gather it's reasonably easy to pick up.

I've only just downloaded it and I won't even be able to look at the trial version til the weekend, so I'll have to let everyone know how I get on.

Sound effects would be needed, as would character models, cut scenes, animation etc.
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:09
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
How much actual coding do you have to do with DB though? I'm more interested in that, and I'll do some sound effects if you want?
Fri 29/04/05 at 12:08
Regular
I've just decided that I want to create a game. Just to see if I can, basically. However, I have exceedingly limited C knowledge, based on a couple of modules done at university a few years back. This has led me to find something called DarkBASIC.

Anyone used it? Anyone give me any tips / hints etc? Anyone suggest a better program?

And, the big one, and I have no idea how this would work, but anyone want to work with me to create a game?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.