GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone any experience with DarkBASIC?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/04/05 at 12:08
Regular
I've just decided that I want to create a game. Just to see if I can, basically. However, I have exceedingly limited C knowledge, based on a couple of modules done at university a few years back. This has led me to find something called DarkBASIC.

Anyone used it? Anyone give me any tips / hints etc? Anyone suggest a better program?

And, the big one, and I have no idea how this would work, but anyone want to work with me to create a game?
Fri 29/04/05 at 21:47
Regular
"Selected"
I can also help with the sounds...what with studying a music tech degree.
Fri 29/04/05 at 15:06
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
[URL]http://www.darwinia.co.uk/[/URL]
Fri 29/04/05 at 15:05
Regular
What is this Darwinia?
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:55
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Similarly, I did have an idea a few weeks ago to start a website for Flash games with a 'dual-screen' element. The twist is that all the controls had to be in the lower screen, and all the action happens in the top. My first game was going to be a Cannon Fodder/Darwinia style commando game, using the screen to draw shapes, or point directions. FlashDS.com, the website was going to be. Might still do it, even if for my own perverse...needs.
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:53
Regular
Good thinking Batmen. Perhaps I was getting ahead of myself too much.

I'll still spend the weekend looking over some software, probably into next week as well, and we'll take it from there.

So, if anyone has any simple yet addictive ideas - list them here :-)
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:36
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Bingo. You can have all the story in the world, but that doesn't equal a good fun game to play. Look at Darwinia. How blatant was it that they couldn't afford a decent artist? Yet it's still a fantastic game because it's fun to play. I even tried to ape it in Flash, to limited success, but nothing worthy of showing to anyone.

Think of a really, really simple idea - something involving moving shapes or whatever. The graphics can always come later.
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:21
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Your Honour wrote:
> I only decided this morning to make a game, I haven't had chance to
> think things through. GameStudio looks quite good from the creating
> levels point of view, but some of it needs to be coded in C and C++
> so I'll need a lot of help.

I'd advise learning to walk before you run. I can confidently predict that this project will NEVER get finished.

Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

You need to start off with simple things before jumping into the deep end. I’m not trying to p on the flames of enthusiasm, but just saying “I decided to make a game this morning” is not a recipe for success.

Something like tetris is your best bet. It's a well know game, you have a final product to comapare too, and it contains ALL the elements a game needs. It's boring as hell, but a nessecary step.

good 2d engine wrapper, I'm playing around with this at the moment. [URL]http://hge.relishgames.com/[/URL]
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:19
Yeah I was thinking who was going to do the 3D modelling.
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:17
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Maybe you should start with a game that isn't going to be so graphically demanding? Unless you're good at that sort of thing, it's probably better to concentrate on gameplay than looks.
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:07
Regular
Nice one, cheers people!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.