GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone any experience with DarkBASIC?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/04/05 at 12:08
Regular
I've just decided that I want to create a game. Just to see if I can, basically. However, I have exceedingly limited C knowledge, based on a couple of modules done at university a few years back. This has led me to find something called DarkBASIC.

Anyone used it? Anyone give me any tips / hints etc? Anyone suggest a better program?

And, the big one, and I have no idea how this would work, but anyone want to work with me to create a game?
Wed 04/05/05 at 10:44
Regular
I'm actually going to use some other software.

[URL]http://www.gamemaker.nl[/URL]

You can "drag and drop" components together, and you can also code your own, so I think this may be good to start off with, but also give some flexibility in the future.
Tue 03/05/05 at 22:56
Regular
"wow"
Also since it would be the first go at it a agree that a basis or template would be a good idea, its much easier to learn that way too. dark basic has a huge number of free downloads for registered memebers online including models/texures and pre made games all allowed to be edited and then published.
Tue 03/05/05 at 22:53
Regular
"wow"
Hey Hey, i was thinking the same as you a while back, i have dark basic, though have been bogged down in C++ and learning japanese so never really got into it. I texture and add units for rome total war with a mod maker on the internet (the EB mod not yet released) plus i have huge knowledge in film making if that would come in handy for a game. So i would be interested. Though am still learning programming at a basic level and have not yet started a degree in so may have a limited use at the start :)
Sun 01/05/05 at 16:09
Bonus wrote:

>
> DarkBASIC is something I've never heard of, but I guess it's just a
> game making farm.
>
DB is a game based language based on BASIC; several commands and syntax to designed specially for them. In effect, it's a wrapper for DX, simplifying use greatly. It also has an IDE included.
Sun 01/05/05 at 15:03
Regular
First thing, go and write a game design document :).

Figure out if you are satisfied with 2D, or if you want it to be 3D.

Then figure out what exactly you will be capable art-wise, I'm a programmer, I can't draw or model for cack :).

Then think about what you are going to use to make the game.

DarkBASIC is something I've never heard of, but I guess it's just a game making farm.

As you probably know very little about programming, even less about 3D maths and geometry to a game making level, and virtually no physics and graphics thoery, it;s probably best to go with something pre-made which you can just edit.

If you want to use a language actually in use in games development, look at using Python.

There's a module library gammed Pygame at www.pygame.org which you may find useful :)
Sat 30/04/05 at 13:14
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
You can use the same principles in Flash, which I prefer because the medium is the web, and you probably learn more about compression and conserving filesizes that way.
Sat 30/04/05 at 13:11
Well done.

Like I said, we could have used code from existing engines that have been made open source for all to use, and modified it from there. Oh well.
Sat 30/04/05 at 12:06
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I downloaded the trial version of DB, and it's quite the fun. So far I've coded in a sprite from a BMP, then used a loop to make it travel down the screen, a'la Tetris. I've now got 57 more free tries to make my first game!
Sat 30/04/05 at 10:57
Regular
Ok, have been thinking about this, and have decided that the basic story will remain the same, only it's going to be a 2-D platformer. I agree that I was getting carried away far too much and trying to run before I'd even grown legs.

A friend of mine is going to start drawing up some concept art, and I'm on the lookout for new software that will let me do that, unless anyone on here has got any advice on what to use?

Ideally I'm looking for software that will let us create a game without a huge amount of coding. I'll let you know what I find....
Fri 29/04/05 at 22:38
Regular
"NULL"
If you need help with the physics engine......lol

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.