GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone any experience with DarkBASIC?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/04/05 at 12:08
Regular
I've just decided that I want to create a game. Just to see if I can, basically. However, I have exceedingly limited C knowledge, based on a couple of modules done at university a few years back. This has led me to find something called DarkBASIC.

Anyone used it? Anyone give me any tips / hints etc? Anyone suggest a better program?

And, the big one, and I have no idea how this would work, but anyone want to work with me to create a game?
Fri 29/04/05 at 14:05
"period drama"
If you're having any trouble figuring out how something should work, give me a shout. Not actual programming, but if you hit a snag about the gameplay itself, I'm pretty good at working that stuff out.

Good luck.
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:59
Regular
Nice one, cheers Icarus.

More details on the story:

You play as Colin the Cowboy. He wakes up to discover his horse has gone, but there are hundreds of Kebab wrappers lying around. This worries him as there has never been a kebab shop in in his memory.

He then, with a hangover, has to find out what is going on.
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:48
I might be offer you limited help on it. Just had a look at the Gamestudio site, apparently it uses a simplified version of Cpp, which should just be dandy. And if the 3D engine's already in plce, even less work. I say limited though because I have multiple deadlines/exams coming up, though I'm sure M-M can do much of it too.
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:41
Regular
I really do want to do this, but I can't do it on my own. I'll need some help. Once I've decided which software I can get on best with I'll start from there.
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:28
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
AMAZING!

Nah, it's got potential, but we're not aiming for Halo 3... All I'd need is some artwork, level demos, characters etc., then I can build sounds around that.

Is this one of those ideas that will fizzle out after you've woken up properly this afternoon? You're not a child, right?
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:25
Regular
Woah! Slow down!

I only decided this morning to make a game, I haven't had chance to think things through. GameStudio looks quite good from the creating levels point of view, but some of it needs to be coded in C and C++ so I'll need a lot of help.

This is about as far as I've got with the idea of the game:

Game opens and player is waking up, with an extreme hangover, in a bar in the wild west. He has nothing. His gun is gone and his horse is gone - he has to try and piece together what happened. I'd like it to have a lot of humour in it. It'll probably be first person I guess, as that looks like it'll be the easiest to do with the software I can get.

And that's about it. I think that it'll only be one or two levels long to start with as there's no point biting off more than we can chew at this stage.

So, what do you all think?
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:19
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Yeah, I work, but I've got a small home studio so recording stuff won't take too long.

What style of game is it going to be? Third-person?
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:05
Well what do you need to do? Is it a 3D area that involves moving cars and smashing objects? If so, I can probably provide you with something in very little time.
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:04
Regular
Cheers for the tips Nash & Icarus, I'll have a look into Blitz3D.

I've also found a program called GameStudio which I'm looking into as well.
Fri 29/04/05 at 13:03
Regular
Nice one m_m.

I think this could be good. Will take a while to set up though as I'll want to play around with the demo of DB first, and we'll need to get some ideas together.

I know that most people won't be able to put much time in at once, as everyone has other things to do, but I reckon we could sort something out.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.