GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Anyone any experience with DarkBASIC?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 29/04/05 at 12:08
Regular
I've just decided that I want to create a game. Just to see if I can, basically. However, I have exceedingly limited C knowledge, based on a couple of modules done at university a few years back. This has led me to find something called DarkBASIC.

Anyone used it? Anyone give me any tips / hints etc? Anyone suggest a better program?

And, the big one, and I have no idea how this would work, but anyone want to work with me to create a game?
Sat 21/05/05 at 15:04
Regular
"Captain to you."
Came across this as one of my mates used it to make a small game, anyone had a go at this?

i don't like starting new threads and it's kinda about making games.

[URL]http://www.virtools.com/[/URL]
Thu 05/05/05 at 12:26
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Nah, Flash is my weapon of choice, doing the web stuff and all that.
Thu 05/05/05 at 12:13
Regular
I've found out that GameMaker needs a 16MB 3D card, and I think I've got an old Voodoo card somewhere that should just about do the trick.

You should have a look at that software monkey, I think you might like it.
Thu 05/05/05 at 11:16
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Do a gypsy-switch, get your one back.
Thu 05/05/05 at 11:06
Regular
I didn't realise that on board graphics cards were so pants. Otherwise I would have kept my PC when the gf moved in instead of donating it to my mum.

Think I'll have to get a new card though before I start getting too far into this.
Thu 05/05/05 at 11:00
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
monkey_man wrote:
> If you're talking 3D, the maths isn't too difficult. Just need to
> learn how to position to scale, collide with objects in 3D space,
> that sort of thing. It's the rendering of textures and bigger things
> that DB looks a bit limited with.

I meant the fact that Honours machine crashes when trying to load up a click and create type game. A 3d engine is a far greater resource hog. The ogre 3d engine I was using took a HUGE amount of resources before it even displayed anything. The maths are no great deal. :D
Thu 05/05/05 at 09:23
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
If you're talking 3D, the maths isn't too difficult. Just need to learn how to position to scale, collide with objects in 3D space, that sort of thing. It's the rendering of textures and bigger things that DB looks a bit limited with.
Thu 05/05/05 at 09:19
Regular
"Lisan al-Gaib"
Your Honour wrote:
> I've been playing around with a demo and the only problem I can find
> is that on bigger games it crashes when loading them to play, but I
> think this could be because the PC I'm using it on has the graphics
> card built into the motherboard.

?!?!? Any you were wanting to go down the full 3d route? :D
Thu 05/05/05 at 09:14
Regular
I've been playing around with a demo and the only problem I can find is that on bigger games it crashes when loading them to play, but I think this could be because the PC I'm using it on has the graphics card built into the motherboard.
Wed 04/05/05 at 23:12
Regular
"wow"
Your Honour wrote:
> I'm actually going to use some other software.
>
> [URL]http://www.gamemaker.nl[/URL]
>
> You can "drag and drop" components together, and you can
> also code your own, so I think this may be good to start off with,
> but also give some flexibility in the future.

yeah i saw that for 5 pounds a few years back bt didn't buy it because it is supposed to be riddled with bugs. i think dark basic would be better, but if you want to work your way up to that just let me know if you use it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.