GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This new Napster business...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/04/05 at 14:11
Regular
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:35
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
smv wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that even if you buy it, the file is still loaded
> with DRM and it's use is restricted. So you still might need a
> compatible WMA player, you can only copy it to three computers etc.

What can I do with music I buy on Napster?

Music you purchase is yours to keep and comes with the following rights:
• Unlimited burns of individual tracks.
• Unlimited transfers to Napster's portable device.
• Copy your music to three computers.

Far better than iTunes in that it works with pretty much any MP3 player bar iPods! Plus you can burn it as many times as you like! [URL]http://www.napster.com/compatible_devices/not_ntg_compatible.html[/URL] for a list of compatable devices once you've bought the track.

And the price has dropped to below £10, which is great. It used to be £15 which was nearly 2x the price of the US one! It's still fairly crap in that we're paying nearly £2 a month more, but it's far better than other places.
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:23
Regular
"serenity now!"
phi11ip wrote:
> If you bought it it would work on your MP3 player and there would be
> no protection, because you own it.

I'm pretty sure that even if you buy it, the file is still loaded with DRM and it's use is restricted. So you still might need a compatible WMA player, you can only copy it to three computers etc.

suxx0rs.
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:21
Regular
No I didn't get the free trial, I'm on the "Pay as you go" option. It appears in my "Purcahse Tracks" folder, and I paid by Paypal. Well I thought I did. Maybe I didn't buy it afterall...
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:20
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
I don't 'do' Metallica, but I'm guessing that's one of their band members looking quite upset/worried that you're downloading their songs?

Looks like he's just filled his pants though and doesn't have anywhere to go clean up...
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I'm downloading Metallica right now!!!

[URL]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/images/events/k_awards03/lars_gurns420.jpg[/URL]
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:12
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Your Honour wrote:
> But I'm sure that I bought it, for 79p.
>
> I didn't subscribe to Napster cos I wanted to use it a bit and see if
> it's worth it. DB PowerAmp conversion codecs thing will only work on
> Windows XP, and we run 2000 at work, so I can't convert it anyway,
> unless Aliboy can remember the name of the software?

Did you get the free trial? If you did you would have had to put your card details into that but you wouldn't have been billed if you cancelled before the end.

If you bought it it would work on your MP3 player and there would be no protection, because you own it. However if you just double clicked the song it would download to your PC allowing for unlimited play, but it would be protected.
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:10
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
Timmargh wrote:
> LimeWire to sample music that you can buy if you decide you like it.
>
> [URL]http://www.allofmp3.com/[/URL] for quasi-legal downloads.

That service takes the wee. They've found a loophole so they can just arserape artists even more!
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:10
Regular
But I'm sure that I bought it, for 79p.

I didn't subscribe to Napster cos I wanted to use it a bit and see if it's worth it. DB PowerAmp conversion codecs thing will only work on Windows XP, and we run 2000 at work, so I can't convert it anyway, unless Aliboy can remember the name of the software?

Looks like I won't be bothering with it afterall, the whole point was to download stuff to put on my mp3 player, and I'm not prepared to go out and buy a Zen Micro or whatever as my current 256Mb is big enough for a whole weeks worth of commuting.
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:07
Regular
"Chavez, just hush.."
AliBoy wrote:
> There is a program that will convert the napster files to mp3 for you,
> can't remember what its called though of the top of my head.

Nothing will convert the files, the protection hasn't been cracked yet. However there is a program that will just record the song exactly the same to MP3. It doesn't convert it, it just plays and records it without you hearing it.

That's the only way to do it, but I can't remember the program either!
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:07
Regular
"Twenty quid."
LimeWire to sample music that you can buy if you decide you like it.

[URL]http://www.allofmp3.com/[/URL] for quasi-legal downloads.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.