GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"This new Napster business...."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/04/05 at 14:11
Regular
Wed 13/04/05 at 18:55
Regular
"8==="
:S
Wed 13/04/05 at 18:36
Regular
A cash machine gave me £20 today and only took a tenner off my balance.

I'm not going to give it to Napster after reading this. But I wasn't going to anyway.
Wed 13/04/05 at 18:16
Regular
"serenity now!"
Your Honour wrote:
> If I buy some music, I should be able to put it on my mp3 player if I
> want, or stick it on my PC at home, or burn it onto either an mp3 or
> audio cd.

Exactly, it's your music, you should be able to do what you want with it.

The sooner these services work this out the sooner they'll become mainstream.
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:36
Regular
"Excommunicated"
People who pay 79p a song are stupid.
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:33
Regular
"8==="
Yep. :)
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:32
Regular
That's not really the point.

If I buy some music, I should be able to put it on my mp3 player if I want, or stick it on my PC at home, or burn it onto either an mp3 or audio cd.

Not have a strict set of rules and regs that say:

You can only copy this once. If youre computer f###s up and you lose it, tough.

You can only listen to it on one of our specially chosen mp3 players, and you can buy one from us - it's only 149.99!

What a load of toss.
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:29
Regular
"8==="
If you use a re-writable CD it shouldn't be too bad.
Wed 13/04/05 at 17:04
Regular
I think I've found a way round it: create an audio cd with the tracks you've downloaded, and then rip those back onto your pc in mp3 format.

It's a bloody long way round though, and to be honest, this has pretty much put me off downloading music altogether.

It's a lot more hassle than it's worth, and it's cheaper to just buy a cd off play or cd-wow or somewhere.

Ridiculous.
Wed 13/04/05 at 16:01
Regular
I've just done another track and have definitely 'bought' it. However, it still won't work on my MP3 player, which is why I bought the damn things to start with.

Also, I'm under the impression that I can't even stick it on a cd. So all I can do is play it on my pc at work. Which has no soundcard.

Great, I would have felt a lot better if I'd have thrown that £1.60 at a homeless person.
Wed 13/04/05 at 15:50
Regular
"serenity now!"
phi11ip wrote:
> And the price has dropped to below £10, which is great. It used
> to be £15 which was nearly 2x the price of the US one! It's
> still fairly crap in that we're paying nearly £2 a month more,
> but it's far better than other places.

That's the subscription based one though right? Basically renting music, when you stop subscribing you have nothing to show for it.

At 79p per track, you get a DRM encoded file, as opposed to the DRM free CD, Microsoft compression technology, as opposed to a compression free CD, no artwork and nothing physical to hold in your hands. The equivalent of a 15 track album is £11.85, hardly any cheaper than you'd find in the high street, yet there is no retailer's cut, no artwork costs, no packaging costs, no transport costs, no rent costs etc. etc. etc.

At the moment they offer a far poorer service (and product, sometimes) than the illegal free sites. Some way to go I'd say.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel this music downloading thing is the biggest rip-off ever. Peer-to-peer came about because people were fed up of getting ripped aff by the record industry, now it's happening all over again.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.