GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 banned in the USA"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 29/03/05 at 11:53
Regular
"8==="
[URL]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4387045.stm[/URL]

I would make that a non-automatic link, but why bother?
Tue 29/03/05 at 12:59
Regular
"8==="
No, but if your PS2 breaks you're stuffed.

Good for European imports though. :)

(although a lot of americans wouldn't think to order something out of their own country - there once was an american fax machine that couldn't send faxes out of the country because the manufacturers hadn't considered that people might actually want to do that)
Tue 29/03/05 at 12:59
Regular
"\\"
:( That hurt.
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:03
Regular
"..."
Ok, the only bit I don't get, is why the console would be banned. Surely it would just be the controllers which should be banned? Also where do third party controllers stand, as these must surely use the same technology???
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:04
Regular
": ("
Hedfix wrote:
> No, but if your PS2 breaks you're stuffed.

I'm not stuffed, the americans are, right?
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:05
Regular
Oh and does this mean that Sony will have to make a new controller?
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:06
Regular
"8==="
Stridman wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> No, but if your PS2 breaks you're stuffed.
>
> I'm not stuffed, the americans are, right?

Yes.

Grix is allowed to kick me now. :)
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:06
Regular
"8==="
Stridman wrote:
> Oh and does this mean that Sony will have to make a new controller?

Yep, and about 10 years too late for my liking.
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:11
Regular
Good.

I hope they give it a completely new makeover, but I don't think they will, they'll probably keep the design the same and wait for the PS3 and then change the controller's look.
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:20
Regular
Grix Thraves wrote:
"The Gamecube control has built in rumble, so that doesn't make sense."

Okey doke, here we go. I'm sorry I over-estimated your intelligence Hedfix.

"The" - Used before nouns, used to denote things, people, animals, stuff like that.
"Gamecube" - Major word in the sentence here, pay attention. This is the point where it's obvious I'm refering to the Gamecube, and not the N64.
"control" - Perhaps this could have been controller, but the word still stands. This means, refering to the Gamecube, as a method of input, a way to 'use' the system.
"has" - The present, third person singluar of 'to be in possession of'.
"built in" - I've put these two words together because sometimes, two words on their own can mean different things, but when they're together, they can mean something else entirely. In this case, 'built in' means to have something 'part' of it, usually mechanical. Something that is integrated inside whatever it's being refered to.

Ok, are we following so far? "The Gamecube control has built in"

So we're refering to 'The Gamecube', so that's the object of disscussion here. We are also stating, or beginning to state, that it has something 'built in' to it. But what?

'rumble' - Here's another key word here. The built in device or feature that we've been waiting for is also known as 'force-feedback'. This is when the controller (which we already know is the 'Gamecube' controller) is 'vibrated' using motors, to provide extra immersion into what is happening on screen during play.

Then, we have something called a 'comma', which looks like ','. These are used to break up sentences, so you should be able to assume that the one part of a sentence is over, and another is about to begin.

'so' - There are a few different ways to use the word 'so', which makes it understandable to see why you're confused. This time, however, it's being used to express 'disapproval' - which means I myself am confused, and I am stating, even at the beginning of the sentence, that I do not agree and I have a statement to make. Aren't words great?

'that' - This word is refering to the statement in which I do not agree. But which statement?

Naturally, this is where it begins to get a little complicated. I know it hasn't been so easy so far, but stick with me here and I'll try to go through it as well as I can.

So far we have 'The Gamecube control has built in rumble'. What can that tell us about what I'm trying to put across here?

If we look for a moment at the entire post and see what I've 'quoted' to go along with my comment, we may be able to see.

Hedfix wrote:
> They weren't part of the controller.
>
> It think it's the design of the technology in Sony's controllers
> that's the problem.

Ok.. so which part of this am I refering to? What statement is 'that'?

Is it "It think it's the design of the technology in Sony's controllers that's the problem."?

Well it could be, let's look back at what I've wrote again.

"The Gamecube control has built in rumble"

Well, that could possibly be it... but it's still not making much sense, is it? I mean, you're stating that you believe it's the technology in Sony's controllers which has made them the target, instead of Nintendo. Is this about 'built in rumble'?

It could be, but we're not sure, you haven't stated that, only the 'design'.

Let's pass on that, and look at the first part of the quote.

"They weren't part of the controller."

Hang on..! Didn't, in my reply, say something about the rumble being 'built in'?

This is making much more sense now. So we know that we're refering to how Nintendo, and the N64 (which we've known from posts previous to this) made their rumble as a seperate part of the controller, that could be 'removed'.

So now if we go back to "It think it's the design of the technology in Sony's controllers that's the problem.", it begins to make much more sense!

Now that we know that the subject matter is how the N64 rumble was NOT built in, we can see that you're refering to the Sony design, where the rumble WAS built in.

So what is the word 'that' refering to?

It's refering to how that the rumble on the N64 was not 'part of the controller' and how it's the 'design of the technology in Sony's controllers that's the problem' - which has to be refering to the first part of the quote, which is stating how the rumble was removable.

Phew! So the problem is the rumble was built in!

But we already know that the Gamecube controller had built in rumble from my post! So hang on a second, this isn't making any sense!

Patience! We're nearly at the end of the sentence, then all will become clear.

'doesn't' - This is actually TWO words. Boy, don't things just go from bad to worse!

The word 'doesn't' is actually made from the word 'does' and the word 'not', and this is known as a contraction. They merge kinda like the Power Rangers! Just imagine that the ' is their sword, and you're half way there.

The words 'does' and 'not' together means something negative. The best way to say about this is to use examples.

If you imagine two boys. One boy, Jim, is holding an apple, another boy, Tom, is holding nothing.

We can make a few statements here.

We can say 'Jim has an apple'. This means that Jim is in possession of an apple.

But can also say 'Tom does not have an apple'.

So we can say quite firmly, that whatever words follow 'does not' or, 'doesn't', are going to be refered to as 'non-truths' and will be assumed to be 'wrong'.

So are you ready for what the statement is going to say is wrong?

'make' - This word means to create, to cause. If you don't understand the use of this word, please feel free to say and I'll explain it in further detail.

So we know we're going to put across the point that something that could be 'made' isn't going to be. I wonder what it could be... I can't wait, let's find out!

The last word is...

'sense' - This word can mean a few things. Spider-Man had his 'Spider-Sense', which enabled him to 'feel' when something dangerous was coming his way.. but unfortunately this has little to do with superpowers at all!

The word 'sense' in this instance means 'intelligence'. It means 'natural understanding'.

'Something sound or reasonable.' To seemingly have no logic.

I hope that's helped you to understand the sentence better! It was hard work going through all those words for you, but if I've helped in anyway than I'm glad to be of service to you!
Tue 29/03/05 at 13:25
Regular
"..."
Grix Thraves wrote:
> A vey long post that made him sound like an English teacher.

:-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.