GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Office"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 25/03/05 at 17:11
Regular
"Not a Jew"
Never liked this "comedy". Fail to see what's so great about it. The fact that Gervais is a tool doesn't help its cause.
Sat 26/03/05 at 16:21
Regular
"8==="
I watched an episode of Red Dwarf a few nights ago.

Rimmer: "Go up to red alert"

Kryten: "Are you quite sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Good stuff.
Sat 26/03/05 at 16:25
Regular
"For One Night Only"
I saw the same episode...

The bit where they attempt to eat with those twirly utensils is the best.
Sat 26/03/05 at 17:57
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
See, those are two different types of humour that highlight why people won't ever agree on whether something is good or not.

I found The Office to be one of the best things on television in recent years, not just best comedy but best things full stop.
Because it held a mirror up to 85% of people sitting in offices staring at monitors and having imaginary affairs with so-and-so, or wondering why they ended up there when they really want to do something else.
It's not funny for most of the time, and never in a punchline-pause-laugh way either that Red Dwarf is.

The two moments for me that sum up why I like The Office was Dawn talking about her life "I used to be an illustrator that did a bit of temping on reception...and...now...I say I'm a receptionist" and Tim turning down the offer to manage the office when Brent is sacked.
"It's just a little more work for a lot more money"
"Yeah but I've got nothing to spend it on"
"It'll only be a temporary thing"
"And that's what I thought about this job...ah...years ago"

Two moments that, in a few seconds, nail what an awful lot of people feel about their working lives.
I don't see it as a comedy, more of a warning about what will happen if you silently slide under the surface of life without at least trying to make it to shore. To just give up and spend your life working for a Brent or a Gareth, to be like Tim telling yourself that one day you'll do something but at the moment there's that bonus coming and you've got holiday booked and what about your savings and,selsgeisegjagppppppppppp
Sat 26/03/05 at 17:59
Regular
Weren't you an office drone at some perfume company? What're you doing now?

Edit: That sounded like an attack of some sort. It wasn't, just wondering is all.
Sat 26/03/05 at 18:01
Completely agree.

Not to Stryke
Sat 26/03/05 at 18:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I was, no offence taken.
I was a Tim, always lying to myself that I was just there until I figured out what I was doing etc. Yet all the time I was there staring out the window and posting on here to kill time.

Now I'm a postman/trainee teacher.
Sat 26/03/05 at 18:04
Regular
Did The Office trigger you into that change? I'm always saying to my mates that the Office should be shown in Career seminars to university undergrads like me and six formers to warn them about what could happen if we don't have a clear idea of what to do with our lives sooner rather than later.
Sat 26/03/05 at 18:08
Regular
"Not a Jew"
I've never worked or been in an office or had any of those experiences which is why it probably doesn't appeal to me. And no, Joey doesn't get me hard either. I'd rather have something a bit more offbeat like Peep Show, Moneky Dust or Brasseye.
Sat 26/03/05 at 18:13
Regular
But Goaty - isn't spending all your free time on an online game just as bad? And I'm not having a go at you - I have done, and continue to, 'waste' my life slumped in front of a telly/monitor, kidding myself daily that 'tomorrow things will change'.

It's as though the idea of a better life is enough to bring you temporary joy - you make plans to completely revamp your existence. "I'll do it tomorrow" always seems to be the answer, never today. And for today, you sit in smug happiness that tomorrow you'll change your life completely, and everyone else will see what a strong and dedicated person you are for following your dreams.

But something stops it from happening. It may or may not be as a result of your own poor decisions, but never the less, nothing happens. There's only so long you can go on making excuses for yourself, before you lose the will to even try and convince yourself anymore.

My job isn't what troubles me - it is a huge part of my life, and it isn't ideal, it is my squandered free time that bothers me most.
Sat 26/03/05 at 18:37
Regular
The Hibernator wrote:
> "Under weaknesses, you've put eczema..."

XD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.