GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Just realised something."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/03/05 at 20:04
Regular
Back in the good old days we had Nash, Azul, Memo, gerrid, aoe_slaught, Tribute, FFF and all the gang to keep the fools down and the scum out. Now they (the good regulars) are outnumbered by the idiots that infest this place.
Came to this conclusion after seeing the aforementioned users had many votes against them in that "Forum Enemy" thread.
Against this harsher climate with strict irritating staff and retarded people the sensible and decent users of old are dying out.
'Tis a pity.
Page:
Wed 23/03/05 at 16:39
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> Flock wrote:
> "If you want to raise the level you need to get other people to
> do the same. How much difference can one person make?"
>
> Well, let's find out. Sitting around trying to encourage everyone to
> make wonderful topics isn't going to solve anything.
>
> I'm going to do as much as I can to turn this place into something I
> am personally interested in. If you want to try the same, go ahead.
> I'm not going to try and amass a group of elite posters or something
> because it's pointless and I'd rather lead by example. Do what you
> like, but don't simply give in just because 'oh it's too hard' and
> 'it probably won't work'.

I just try to do fun things that people like most of the time, some work, some dont, if i've got something interesting to say i'll put it up but more often than not it will just be fun things and competitions because i dont know, maybe i've gotten lazy and i think thats the case with a lot of people now. People create threads to be popular instead of good and i think i've been guilty of that to an exstent but i always try to do something different with mine.
Whats slightly frustrating is when you have a decent topic, you know it's going to get hijacked soon enough, if it was just the newbies it wouldn't be a problem, i'd just block them but some of the decent regs get involved as well and i'm not going to block them as it makes a mess of the topic.
Maybe being able to remove peoples posts in our own topics would help.
SMV i also agree with everything you said.
Wed 23/03/05 at 16:19
Regular
Cycloon wrote:
> The other message board I post on might have slightly less highbrow
> aspirations at times, but it doesn't have the crappy bits either.
> It's actually friendly.

Wanting this place to be better is highbrow? I just think this place is what you make of it, and I'm getting lazy.
Wed 23/03/05 at 16:05
Regular
Mithras wrote:
> Back in the good old days we had Nash, Azul, Memo, gerrid,
> aoe_slaught, Tribute, FFF and all the gang to keep the fools down and
> the scum out. Now they (the good regulars) are outnumbered by the
> idiots that infest this place.
> Came to this conclusion after seeing the aforementioned users had
> many votes against them in that "Forum Enemy" thread.
> Against this harsher climate with strict irritating staff and
> retarded people the sensible and decent users of old are dying out.
> 'Tis a pity.

Took you this long to work this out? Most people knew this at least two weeks ago.
Wed 23/03/05 at 16:04
Regular
smv wrote:
"Stuff"

Completely agree.
Wed 23/03/05 at 15:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The other message board I post on might have slightly less highbrow aspirations at times, but it doesn't have the crappy bits either. It's actually friendly.
Wed 23/03/05 at 15:53
Regular
If you create a topic people are generally interested in others will reply. Wether it be retards or decent forumers they'll reply on topic which is a start to say the least.
Wed 23/03/05 at 15:52
Regular
"serenity now!"
Been reading this topic, mostly keeping my mouth shut because I certainly wasn't here long enough to know any kind of "golden age".

I'd certainly agree that bullying newbies is not the way to up standards - all it creates is a lot of posts that might normally drop off the front page being bumped up by bickering and insults. Some people enjoy reading that, but I think most find it depressing.

Some users might just leave if they feel threatened, but more will argue back and spam around the forums returning next week to write more inane posts and argue with people. Proved on a thousand forums around the internet.

If you don't like some users here, I think the best thing you can do is ignore their threads/posts. No-one hangs around long if they get no replies, but here it often seems the most inane topics are the ones with the most replies.

Just observing really. I realise the forums are our responsibility to upkeep but it's you guys that make it what it is, good or bad.
Wed 23/03/05 at 15:50
Regular
Flock wrote:
"If you want to raise the level you need to get other people to do the same. How much difference can one person make?"

Well, let's find out. Sitting around trying to encourage everyone to make wonderful topics isn't going to solve anything.

I'm going to do as much as I can to turn this place into something I am personally interested in. If you want to try the same, go ahead. I'm not going to try and amass a group of elite posters or something because it's pointless and I'd rather lead by example. Do what you like, but don't simply give in just because 'oh it's too hard' and 'it probably won't work'.
Wed 23/03/05 at 15:33
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Grix Thraves wrote:
> I just told you how to improve posts. Set the example.

Then you have to find a way to get everyone to do the same, motivation is needed and i dont see it, eventually any popular post will get overrun by arguments between certain regs and newbies. I agree with you that bullying them out of here isnt the way to go about it but i think there are too many now to overpower. If you want to raise the level you need to get other people to do the same. How much difference can one person make?

> Which I'm planning to do as soon as I can think of something
> interesting to write about. ARGHHH

Ah well there you go, find something interesting but alas it's not so easy to do.
Wed 23/03/05 at 15:15
Regular
I just told you how to improve posts. Set the example.

Taking gameaday away would not improve the site - but the staff are more concerned with getting reviews these days and have pretty much abandoned the forums. It really reaches something when you care more about the quality of the forums on here than the staff do.

You don't get rid of bad posters, you simply over-power them. Don't expect everyone else to turn this forum into the entertainment haven you want it to be, do something yourself.

Which I'm planning to do as soon as I can think of something interesting to write about. ARGHHH
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.