GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PSP VS DS"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 18/11/04 at 16:51
Regular
"2 Cool 4 Skool"
what does everyone think will be the victor of the handheld console wars. form the ds and psp, i think that the ds will knock spots off the psp, and nintendos touch screen will help it will the battle. do you think that microsoft should start the war of handheld gaming as well?
Thu 16/12/04 at 15:49
Regular
"and PC user"
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> And you're wrong on both accounts, anyway.
> Also, a mouse is not an alternative to a touch-screen + stylus.

Really, i thought they were about doing the same basic set of tasks. My old PDA had a stylus, and you could click icons, "drop down" menus, check and uncheck tick boxes, etc. Which, when I stop and think about it is what I use a mouse for. There are some things a stylus is better for, for a start you couldnt really use a mouse on a small hand held console - although a trackball or "IBM Thinkpad" style pointer might just work. In high end graphics, they use a sort of stylus + tablet to create hand drawn effects direct into software. But unless you have these specific needs, (which you dont on a games console), I cant see the "point" in it!
Thu 16/12/04 at 14:33
"period drama"
And you're wrong on both accounts, anyway.
Also, a mouse is not an alternative to a touch-screen + stylus.
Thu 16/12/04 at 13:44
Regular
"thursdayton!"
We're talking about the relevance of a stylus in games, not the popularity of Mario.
Thu 16/12/04 at 08:48
Regular
"and PC user"
Tphi wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> There is no need for the DS to have a Stylus. Nintendo have got this
> plain wrong. Younger gamers playing fast games dont want or require
> a
> stylus.
>
> Oh really? You try playing the Mario 64 minigames without a stylus.

Thats fine, as long as you think lots of people in the near future will still want to play Mario games. Sure some will, but as we saw with the PlayStation, buyers will move away from such things.
Thu 16/12/04 at 08:47
Regular
"and PC user"
cookie monster wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> Why do you think the PS2, XBox, and GamCube DONT ship with a stylus?
>
>
> Because they dont work on CRT screens?

alright then, so why not ship a mouse with them? Does the same job - thats what I was getting at - why do you want a "pointing" device to play a car racing game (thats just one example).
Wed 15/12/04 at 19:08
Regular
gamesfreak wrote:
> Edgy wrote:
> That's the way my N-gage is slowly starting to go.
>
> You purchased an N-Gage?
>
> ...

Yes.
Wed 15/12/04 at 18:43
"period drama"
The stylus + touch-screen makes 'faster games' (whatever the feck that means) much easier to play. You can control everything directly and accurately.

If you think younger gamers would prefer a PSP over a DS, you're a moron. The touch-screen is a perfect tool for the younger gamer.
Wed 15/12/04 at 18:34
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> Younger gamers playing fast games dont want or require a
> stylus.

Who died and made you king of everything? How do you know what "younger gamers" want? Have you spoken to any?

> Why do you think the PS2, XBox, and GamCube DONT ship with a
> mouse, keyboard, or stylus?

Because the games aren't designed to work with that interface. It's pretty obvious.

> There not needed - and its the same with
> the DS.

And how many DS games have you played? Have you played Yoshi's Touch & Go? Feel the Magic? Wario Ware DS?
Wed 15/12/04 at 17:09
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Macintosh wrote:
> There is no need for the DS to have a Stylus. Nintendo have got this
> plain wrong. Younger gamers playing fast games dont want or require a
> stylus.

Oh really? You try playing the Mario 64 minigames without a stylus.
Wed 15/12/04 at 16:44
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Macintosh wrote:
> Why do you think the PS2, XBox, and GamCube DONT ship with a stylus?

Because they dont work on CRT screens?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.