GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Uploading PHP files"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/03/05 at 21:13
"Dark FX"
Right. I have spent hours trying to learn PHP, but mainly installing it. Is there any way that i can upload it to the internet considering my ISP is BT. If so, how? or what should i do? Thank you. Sorry to be an annoyance >.<
Sat 02/04/05 at 14:17
Regular
"NULL"
Fair enough.
Sat 02/04/05 at 14:11
Regular
"AlL fLo$$Ed OuT"
No, the hosts file links names to IP's (and vice versa), not IP's to IP's.
He could always add his public IP as an additional address to his network card, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 so that it doesn't muck up other communication... bit messy mind! :-s
Sat 02/04/05 at 14:02
Regular
"NULL"
Talking of the HOSTS file, could he not put a line in their linking his external IP to his local IP? Assuming his external IP is static...
Sat 02/04/05 at 13:38
Regular
"AlL fLo$$Ed OuT"
I don't think your router supports local loopback. That's to say that you can connect to your public IP from other networks, but not from the private side of your router. This means other people will be able to see your site with your public IP, but you won't.

There are routers which support this, eg the Linksys WAG54G (which is what I've got). SR sell some Linksys wireless ADSL routers, and I would expect they all support loopback. You could buy one on the proviso that they tell you it does, and then take it back if it doesn't I suppose, but this is my second Linksys router (first one was non-wireless for cable instead of DSL), and both have been fine.

The alternative of course is just to settle for the fact that you won't be able to view your site using your public IP from you own machine! You can always just use your private IP instead... and assuming your going to set up a domain name for your site one day, you could put an entry in your hosts file so that you always connect locally.

AH
Fri 25/03/05 at 10:27
"Dark FX"
Yeah, that works and also works on my laptop
Fri 25/03/05 at 08:46
Regular
"NULL"
Yet you can't connect to the server on your PC when entering exactly the same IP address that someone outside your network can enter to access your own PC? Try entering your local, internal IP address - does that work for you?
Fri 25/03/05 at 08:45
"Dark FX"
Nope. Nothing's ticked
Thu 24/03/05 at 23:55
Regular
"NULL"
Do you, per chance, connect through a proxy server of some kind? Is your router configured to act as a proxy? In Internet Explorer, check Tools > Internet Options > Connection > Lan Settings. Anything ticked there?
Thu 24/03/05 at 21:44
"Dark FX"
Right. I just gave my girlfriend the link: http://xx.xxx.xxx.xxx/home.php (xxx.. is my external IP) and she's got it to work. However, I get a "page cannot be found" (404) error. Any explanations or is this normal?
Thu 24/03/05 at 21:12
"Dark FX"
Turbonutter wrote:
> Your local IP is 127.0.0.1, or localhost. People can only see your
> server if they connect to your external IP, which you can find out by
> going to http://www.whatismyip.com.

I'm pretty sure i've configured the port forwarding but can you tell how other people can connect to my external IP?

Edit: sorry, didnt read it properly. I guess i'll need to configure my firewalling

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.