GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Box will be crap compared to PS2"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 26/06/00 at 11:22
Regular
Everybody here is saying that the X-Box is way more powerful than the PS2 just because the processor is 600mhz and the PS2 is 300mhz, you cant just compare the processor speed to gauge the actual performance of the system. The pentium in the x-box is 32bit external and 64bit internal, whereas the ps2 is 128bit, which means it has much higher performance, probably around 3 or 4 times more than a 300mhz x-box would be because if the 32bit external limit, so taking into account that the x-box is 600mhz that means that the PS2 is a third more powerful than the x-box.
This mistake people make is similar to the mistake people make when they think that the new G4 macs are slow compared to pcs just because their PowerPC processors are 500mhz, they infact have the capability to do a billion operations per second a thing that only very latest intel coppermine processors are able to do starting at the 866 one I think.

Anyway i hope this clears up any misunderstanding.
Sat 17/11/01 at 20:07
Regular
"JiltedGaming.co.uk"
for a start the x-box has a 300MHz custom 3D graphics processing unit from nVidia that is two generations ahead of what they have on the PC.

and here r the actuall specs of the x-box to prove it,
The Specs

CPU:
Intel Pentium III 733MHz (not 600 as u said) processor with Streaming SIMD Extensions
Graphics Processing Unit:
300MHz custom 3D graphics processor by nVidia
300 million micropolygons/particles per second
150 million transformed and lit polygons per second
100+ million polygons per second sustained performance (shading, texturing)
4 simultaneous textures
Compressed textures available at 8:1 compression
Full-scene anti-aliasing

Memory:
64 MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)
6.4GB/sec memory bandwidth

Storage:
8GB hard drive
4X DVD drive with movie playback
8MB memory card

Sound:
Custom 3-D audio processor
64 Audio channels
3-D Audio support
Midi/DLS2 support
AC3 encoded game audio

Network:
100 MBPS Ethernet Port
Optional Modem

Input/Output:
4 game USB controller ports
Expansion port
Proprietary A/V connector

Video:
DVD movie playback
1920x1080 maximum resolution
HDTV support

basically u r talkin tosh and the x-box will b king!
Fri 16/11/01 at 21:25
Do you really care about what's under your console? Isn't it the great games that count? What's the point of having an ultra-realistic game that's completely boring? I thought videogames were meant to 'entertain'! That's why I'm superstitious about X-Box. It's just gone for sheer power, unlike Gamecube, which I'm not actually sure about either. Personally, I'd rather play good, original games on any old console, whether or not is has 7,000 megamumbojumbos and runs at a speed of a Zillion watteroons a second.
Fri 16/11/01 at 21:20
SORRY!
I posted that last message to the wrong forum-soz guys
please just ignore it.
Fri 16/11/01 at 21:19
Euro edition is better than the original, though still not great. You should get UEFA Striker. That's the best. Oh, I heard 90 minutes isn't very good. Bummer!
Wed 14/11/01 at 11:35
Where there is a big debate about which is the more powerful console between the X-box and PS2, some people have to realise that the outcome of a game doesn't rely on the power of a console. There are many other factors to a console than just the power. For example how efficient the console is to develop for.

When many developers were asked what console to do they like developing for the most. They answered "GameCube". When developers were asked what console does Madden 2002 look best on they answered "GameCube".

Developers for the PS2 have had a difficult time tapping into the CPU chip's Vector Units, and because of that early software has suffered from sometimes lackluster graphics. And the only way to truly get the most out of Sony's console is to dig deep and tap into the Vector Unit extensions of the CPU, a feat that has yet to be fully accomplished, according to Rubin (Game developer). "There are companies that are doing it, but none of the games have shown up yet," he says. The CPU of the PlayStation 2 is 100 to 150MHZ slower than the GameCube. So the base CPU is a slower piece of hardware. On the subject of CPU cache (fancy name for a specialized bit of RAM) the GameCube's processor has twice as much as the Xbox's processor, which doesn't seem to mean anything to people, when it is very important to a console.

As for Polygons, Sony boast how they can push 75 million raw polygons per second, though not accounting for actual gaming environments such as light, textures, game physics, artificial inteligence etc. Nobody knows the true polygon pushing power of PlayStation 2 in play environments, but reports from developers suggest the count could be as low as three million polygons, as seen in games like Ridge Racer V and as high as 20 million polygons (no games mentioned though). Gamecube has 6-12 million pologons per second taking all gaming environments into account).

Gamecube renders up to eight effects layers to a polygon in a single pass, whereas the PS2 features a multi-pass rendering system. So, for example, Gamecube developers can effectively start with the base geometry (1), add a bump-map to it (3), add a dirt map (4), add a gloss map (5), add a reflection map (6), add a radiosity light map (7) and an effects layer of their choice (8) -- all in a single pass. By contrast, PS2 developers would have to re-render the polygon itself for every pass meaning eight times the work to get the same effect. So essentially PS2 has to render 1,000 polygons eight times over whereas GameCube only has to render 1,000 polygons once for the same effect.

There are many reasons besides these that prove the GameCube is a better console alround than it's competitors, but it just doesn't seem to register with some people. Why?

A lot of what is said above was taken from an article on www.ign.com. The full write up is at the link below and is well worth a read unless you are scared to know the real facts:

http://cube.ign.com/news/26984.html
Wed 24/10/01 at 13:32
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
Excuse me, but you dont have to make comments on here if you dont want to! It's the main fact that other people wanna talk about this subject, so if YOU have a problem with it, then dont post or make comments on this forum! Its as simple as that, your a minority!
Tue 23/10/01 at 17:03
Oh, everyone shut up.

Nobody cares very much... I don't anyway. Who could see people arguing over games consoles?!? MACHINERY!?!? Honestly, I didn't see it coming!

Want an X-Box? Fine, go ahead and buy one. I know I am.
Want a PS2? Fine, go get one. I've got one, and I love it.

These boards were made for intelligent, positive talk... not morons.

You're not a moron. Are you?
Tue 23/10/01 at 16:33
Regular
"I dressed myself !!"
redobson said:

>>This mistake people make is similar to the mistake people make when they think that the new G4 macs are slow compared to pcs just because their PowerPC processors are 500mhz, they infact have the capability to do a billion operations per second a thing that only very latest intel coppermine processors are able to do starting at the 866 one I think.

--If what you say is true and PS2 is more powerful and better than X-Box! How come none of PS2 graphics have matches X-Box so far??? How comes the games, sound and graphics look sooooo much more superior compared to PS2's??????????????????--
Wed 29/08/01 at 17:58
Regular
"accidental superher"
after checking up on some sites i can say that silent hill 2 is DEFINITELY coming to the x box...
as is onimusha (which has many added features).
soul calibur 2 and ridge racer....
Wed 29/08/01 at 17:47
Regular
"accidental superher"
well that's the latest i heard about silent hill for the xbox...
as for ps1..all the games coming out now for it are utter pants....to put it mildly...
yeah the dreamcast is slowly but surely grinding to a complete stop...only a few months left :(
but hey i have a ps2 :) away we go!!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.