GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Can you all donate some fairy liquid..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 04/01/05 at 12:47
Regular
...apparently there's thousands of people washing up on the beach in Indonesia...

Wonders if this has been put up before...
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:39
Regular
There are, just not in the situation of that episode.
They just don't happen everyday, you know?
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I agree, I give money to make me feel better/less guilty yet I still care about the situation.

It's not exactly terrible is it though? It's better than not giving money to people who know what to do with it.

What is annoying me is this self-congratulating thing that the media is spinning. But again lots of money is given to charity so it isn't terrible... if you catch my drift.
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
There are no selfless acts - Pheobe from Friende if i remember correctly
Regular
I guess the idea is that those starving have always been like that, so I guess we've gotten used to that, and I think that they have too (not that it's an excuse for ignoring them).

The difference comes in that most of these people, the Sri Lankans, Indians etc, they had homes and lives we could relate to. I had friends who'd visited the place and made friends there.
And these lives they used to have, they suddenly got destroyed and taken away.

I guess that's why the shock comes in.

These people used to have everything and lost it...

Although I agree that people seem to get caught up in the emotion of a "disaster" when it's medialised but are happy to forget all the other problems in the world.
Which is fair enough because you can't have your mind on everything at once, but it does make these militants who get oversensitive about jokes like yours seems a bit silly.
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:35
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:
> I understand what you mean but there are worse bandwaggons than
> people donating to charity.

It is bad, because people don't realise that they need to give to charity constanting.

Anyway, let's face it, most people only give to make themselves feel better. Not all, but most.
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:34
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Cong_Man wrote:

> And I think you should stop expecting absolutely everyone to be as
> outraged as you.
>
> Who says I'm outraged? It takes a lot of anger to be outraged and I
> can't exactly feel anger or hatred towards someone I don't know, or
> towards nature if that's what you mean.

Okay, so what exactly was the purpose of your post? To make YH feel bad, or guilty? To simply register your own distaste for the joke? There was nothing, not one thing, in that post that said "this is how I feel about that joke". It just came across as a smug, holier-than-thou piece of venting. The others who've objected to it (chipxero, Snuggly, Goatboy) have at least explained why they object to it. And whilst I don't object to it for any reason other than it didn't make me laugh, I can at least understand their reasons.

> I just think some people should think twice about what they post, or
> not get so angry when some people find it sick and in bad taste.

Advice you could apply to yourself; don't be surprised if people take issue with what you say when you don't seem to be saying much of anything.
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:33
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Don't go making sweeping generalisations YH, you don't know who gave to charity before this event or if people did actually care.

I understand what you mean but there are worse bandwaggons than people donating to charity.
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:29
Regular
I just find it weird that everyone is saying "this is so terrible! Quick lets donate money to charity to ease my concious" after this.

Yet no one does/says/donates anything to help the 1 million children who die every year in Africa from Malaria.

Or the earthquake in Bam, in Iran in December 2003 which killed 26,000 people?

Or the civil war in Uganda, that's affect 1.6million people?

Or n Darfur where in just two weeks during November 150,000 people had been cut off from vital supplies.

Shall I carry on?

Why has the tsunami got you all up in arms? Is it because some British we're actually involved? Or is it because it's got more media coverage than the others I've listed?
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:22
Regular
"..."
Light wrote:
> Cong_Man wrote:
>
> I think perhaps you should come and work on the Thomas Cook incident
> team for a while and answer calls from distraught relatives of
> missing holiday-makers.
>
>
> And I think you should stop expecting absolutely everyone to be as
> outraged as you.

Who says I'm outraged? It takes a lot of anger to be outraged and I can't exactly feel anger or hatred towards someone I don't know, or towards nature if that's what you mean.

I just think some people should think twice about what they post, or not get so angry when some people find it sick and in bad taste.
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:20
Regular
"Wanking Mong"
Cong_Man wrote:

> I think perhaps you should come and work on the Thomas Cook incident
> team for a while and answer calls from distraught relatives of
> missing holiday-makers.

And I think you should stop expecting absolutely everyone to be as outraged as you. Unless you've never, ever laughed at a sick joke of course.

Christ almighty, thinking of the gallows humour prevalent among medical staff, if anything that would make me MORE likely to make sick jokes about the tsunami.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.