GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's only when you get a guitar..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/12/04 at 21:31
Regular
"The Red Shift"
That you realise that you know nothing about them.
:D

I have about a limited wannabe's knowledge of guitars, like I know what guitar I've got and that it's a strat and stuff but; what the hell are these things/what do they do:

Pick-up
Redresss the frets
Grub screws
Tone Pot

Also, anyone know any places on the web that tell you how to play?

Ican struggle my way through tabs but that's about it. No money can be expended by the way.
:)
Sat 01/01/05 at 21:44
Regular
"The Red Shift"
gamesfreak wrote:

> Surprisingly, however, the other week I was picking my way through
> Metallica - Nothing else Matters when my Dad goes.
>
> "Dan!"
> - "Yes?"
> "That sounds really nice, it sounds like classicial/spanish
> guitar"
> - "Oh, well, it's by a band called Metallica"
> "Oh, erm, OK!"

That's not suprising. Try listening to "Battery" by Metallica from Master of Puppets.
Sat 01/01/05 at 17:51
Regular
"you've got a beard"
metalhead - check out the "No More Tears" album by Ozzy Ozbourne, there's some good slide on that in places. Also, see if you can find the Pride & Glory album (they only made the one).. good slide on that too :)
Sat 01/01/05 at 16:41
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Well i heard about dressing frets in Total Guitar (just for a change) in their 'Shred special' in a list of thing which are meant to help you play faster. In addition to an unfinished neck, using fast-fret/finger0ease etc. , using lighter strings, having a lower action, and scalloping the frets.

And all i knew about grub screws where that they were small screws, so it was a good guess!!

On a different subject, I've just discovered slide guitar, and its great!! Ive found good examples in rock/metal in Guns N Roses - Rocket Queen, Metallica - Bleeding Me, and some Aerosmith aswell. Any other recommendations/tips for me?
Sat 01/01/05 at 16:35
Regular
"you've got a beard"
sorry to do this to ya mate but:

metalhead wrote:
> Dressing the frets is where u grind down the frets (metal bars going
> across the neck) so you can play faster. re-dressing? probably just
> doing it again for no apparent reaspon.

no.
the grinding down and polishing part is right, but it's not so you can play faster, it's to stop fretbuzz or similar problems.

> Grub screws are tiny little screws used in loads of places. in
> guitars probably holding in the pickups, truss-rod cover and mainly
> the scratch plate/back plates that allow access to the tone/volume
> pots and selector switch.

no.
those are just ... screws.
grub screws are the tiny screws in the bridge saddles on strats/tele's
Sat 01/01/05 at 16:32
Regular
"you've got a beard"
metalhead wrote:
> Best guiyar solo in a film is the one at the end of Bill and Ted, its
> actually written/played by Steve Vai, nuff sed.

no... although iy IS good, the best one is also by Vai and is the guitar duel at the end of Crossroads.

fact. :)
Sat 01/01/05 at 16:15
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
I played the national anthem once at an old school concert, i was goin to use a harmoniser but i didnt hav one so i just used a wah pedal :D twas fairly righteous.
Sat 01/01/05 at 01:15
Regular
"Notable"
mermoid wrote:
> I did a version of Happy Birthday to someone once.

Aha.

I just did Auld Lang Syne to my mum and boy was she impressed ahah.

I reek of cheese in about 60 different ways.
Fri 31/12/04 at 22:45
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Clazon wrote:
> what the
> hell are these things/what do they do:
>
> Pick-up
> Redresss the frets
> Grub screws
> Tone Pot
>

Just realised no-ones actually answered these question. dont think so anyway.

Pickups hav been answered.
Dressing the frets is where u grind down the frets (metal bars going across the neck) so you can play faster. re-dressing? probably just doing it again for no apparent reaspon.
Grub screws are tiny little screws used in loads of places. in guitars probably holding in the pickups, truss-rod cover and mainly the scratch plate/back plates that allow access to the tone/volume pots and selector switch.
Tone pot is one/two of the controls. pot is short for potentiometr, aka a variable resistor. they control either volume (volume pot) or tone (tone pot), tone potys change between more treble or more bass, but on bass guitar you usually get a 3-band EQ like on an amp, so thats bass, mid and treble.
Any help? hope so. by the way happy new year to those of you online who hav nothing better to do than to sit at their computers and drink their way tthrough a bottle of jack daniels. shine on you crazy diamonds.....
Fri 31/12/04 at 22:39
Regular
"Notable"
I ain't seen those movies since I was a kid. I'll have to start re-building bridges
Fri 31/12/04 at 22:37
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Best guiyar solo in a film is the one at the end of Bill and Ted, its actually written/played by Steve Vai, nuff sed.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.