GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's only when you get a guitar..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/12/04 at 21:31
Regular
"The Red Shift"
That you realise that you know nothing about them.
:D

I have about a limited wannabe's knowledge of guitars, like I know what guitar I've got and that it's a strat and stuff but; what the hell are these things/what do they do:

Pick-up
Redresss the frets
Grub screws
Tone Pot

Also, anyone know any places on the web that tell you how to play?

Ican struggle my way through tabs but that's about it. No money can be expended by the way.
:)
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:33
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Hmmmm. Going out just now to get it strung tuned and looked at and stuff. Could be the pick-ups which need replacing which means £60.
:S

However, I will get the guitar mags and a book from the music store.

2 Things:

Would you ever change the tone whilst playing, or only before?

I'm not a great practiser, but I'll try to make a really big effort for this. After all I'm older and less weak minded now.

...well

:D
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:33
Regular
"you've got a beard"
gamesfreak wrote:
> The guitar is a great instrument once you properly get into it and
> the most important thing is to practise, practise and pracise!

totally.
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:22
Regular
Clazon - Do what Biggles said get Total Guitar.

But even better, if you pop into WHsmiths and have a look around the guitar/music section, you'll find a "Total Guitar Beginners Special" magazine which would get you started.

The guitar is a great instrument once you properly get into it and the most important thing is to practise, practise and pracise!
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:07
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Clazon wrote:

> Pick-up

the things between the bridge and the neck on the body of the guitar, they "pickup" the sound (see what i did there? :) ) and send it down the lead to the amp.

> Redresss the frets

file or replace any fret wire that may require attention.

> Grub screws

on a strat style guitar thei're the small screws in the bridge saddles (where the string sits) there are usually 2 of them in each saddle and you can use them to raise or lower the action (action = string height)

> Tone Pot

the knob that controls the tone. found next to the volume pot :)
strats help you out further by having "tone" written on it :)
Tue 28/12/04 at 12:04
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Thanks very much gaybys, that cyberfret site is pretty decent.

And thanks a load Kyle and Biggles, I guess I'll have to get a book and a magazine. I was just unwilling to spend any money, because I know that I need to get it restrung, tuned, the frets redressed, a new set of pick ups, a new tone pot and something done with the volume notch. So I'm browsing around music shops, but I have a feeling it'll cost quite a bit of dosh.

And especially Biggles for those definitions.

Cheers.
Tue 28/12/04 at 03:54
"I love yo... lamp."
I recommend you get a magazine called Total Guitar. It's out monthly, costs £5 and has a CD with backing tracks and stuff on it. Truly is great. And it will teach you all you need to know within a few months.

The Tone pots incidentally are the Tone knobs on the guitar.

Redressing frets is having a luthier (guitar maker dude) to work on them. File them if they are uneven etc.

Pickups are the things under the strings near where you pick. Strats have three of them. Basically they are microphones.

I don't think I've ever heard the expression grub screws before.

EDIT - I know you said no money can be expended, but you can read Total Guitar in WH Smith for free. Take a Discman to listen to the CD.

EDIT EDIT - www.wholenote.com has a bunch of stuff that could prove rather useful when you start learning.
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:35
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Get Guitar Pro like someone else said then use www.mysongbook.com to get tabs for it.

It's better/easier than just looking through some ASCII tab.
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:28
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Course I gotta give you a link.

[URL]http://hohner.ru/i/lx90.jpg[/URL] (Black/White far left of course!)

80's BABY !!!
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:26
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Kyle wrote:
> but first but a guitar for beginers book, you know nothing!
>
>
> You can wade in from the shallow end, or dive in deep. Your choice.

Shallow I think.

I just wanna be able to play my favorite tunes and stuff and then see if I really take to it before I get lessons or pump money into it.
Mon 27/12/04 at 22:24
Regular
"The Red Shift"
I got given some software with it, but blow me if you can get it to work.

It's by Dorling Kindersley...

:D HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

If I can get it up and running it'd be great.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.