GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"It's only when you get a guitar..."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 27/12/04 at 21:31
Regular
"The Red Shift"
That you realise that you know nothing about them.
:D

I have about a limited wannabe's knowledge of guitars, like I know what guitar I've got and that it's a strat and stuff but; what the hell are these things/what do they do:

Pick-up
Redresss the frets
Grub screws
Tone Pot

Also, anyone know any places on the web that tell you how to play?

Ican struggle my way through tabs but that's about it. No money can be expended by the way.
:)
Tue 28/12/04 at 16:37
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Wellety, wellety, wellety.

It would appear, that for an already crap guitar that's over 14 years old, which I got for free; it's in pretty good shape.

The action is awful. I could fit an elephant between the neck and the strings.

The pick-ups are amazing for what they are.

The circuiting is amazing for what it is.

The tone and volume pots aren't nearly as bad as what some people said they would be on this guitar even when it's new.

However, to get it playing and stuff it needs a basic £22 service. I left it with them and to be honest I couldn't say thank you enough times. They had their one guitar guy sit down with me in a sound room with amps and stuff and attend only to me for 1 hour and 20, answering questions and stuff.

I bought a book called "Absolute Beginners Guitar- Fully accompanied by pictures" for £8.95 and it came with a cd.

All in all I'm pretty damn pleased.

Cheers again guys!
Tue 28/12/04 at 14:51
Regular
[URL]www.guitar.about.com[/URL]

That's an alright site.
I won't say it's a good site, becuase I'm not exactly good at playing guitar, but I'm better than I was 6 months ago.
Tue 28/12/04 at 14:04
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Ha. Have 2 ex-next door neighbour who go to the school and a friend who lives in Wrotham.

Nice area.

I used to live near there (ish) more north Kent towards Chav and Shazza central that is Bromley. I'm in London now though.
Tue 28/12/04 at 14:00
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Near Sevenoaks. :) In a place called Wrotham.
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:59
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Got lot of stuff there, hope it sells.

PS. Whereabouts in Sevenoaks do you live?

Near the school? Near the rugby club?
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:56
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I suppose I could plug my guitar set I'm selling on eBay now.

Look what you could have got for the price of new Pick-ups. :)

[URL]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3771581567&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT[/URL]
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:54
Regular
"Tornado Of Souls"
Clazon wrote:
> Hmmmm. Going out just now to get it strung tuned and looked at and
> stuff.

Get yourself an electric tuner. Even if they tune it then since they're new strings it'll probably be out by the time you get it home anyway.
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:51
Regular
Only replace the pickups if you really know what sort of sound you are looking to get.
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:44
Regular
"The Red Shift"
Very_Metal wrote:

> don't worry dude, you'll get a feel for that kinda stuff and it won't
> be a problem, but DON'T replace your pickups, they won't instantly
> make yo a better player or anything.

Well duh.

Only problem is that practise doesn't make me a better player...

:D
Tue 28/12/04 at 13:35
Regular
"you've got a beard"
you don't need new pickups. i 99% guarantee it.

and yes, you sometimes adjust the tone while playing, depends what you're playing and what sound you need.

don't worry dude, you'll get a feel for that kinda stuff and it won't be a problem, but DON'T replace your pickups, they won't instantly make yo a better player or anything.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.