GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question: If Nintendo have been so revolutionary...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Why is the DS the first handheld they have used a 3D chip in?

Come on it's not like 3D chips are new
Page:
Sat 18/12/04 at 22:29
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

> Whats EyeToy got to do with the DS? EyeToy does work, but its for
> home consoles. It certainly doesnt work anything like a Stylus, so
> why think the DS Stylus will be a great hit?

The DS works by allowing you to interact with the screen via your fingers, movement or some kind of tool.

The Eye Toy allows you to interact with the screen via your fingers, movement or some kind of tool whilst stood infront of a camera and viewing your position on the screen.

With the exception that one screen requires a camera, I see them as pretty similar input devices, each with their own set of uses that can be exploited in many many ways.
Sat 18/12/04 at 18:17
Regular
Tiltawhirl's right.

Their uninformed, hollow and utterly biased arguments will do nothing but frustrate you. I tried being rational. They don't listen. At all.

Argue with them should you need to feel better about yourself, but otherwise just ignore them or poke fun at them. Anything else is an exercise in futility.
Sat 18/12/04 at 17:26
Regular
I remember Mactintosh as well.

Don't know what he used to call himself but he was the sad c**t that always appeared in the same threads as Top Score quoting a load of technical mumbo jumbo that he probably didn't even understand himself.

F**k off back to the hole you guys came from, we have enough trolls around here already.
Sat 18/12/04 at 17:06
Regular
"and PC user"
Domaye wrote:
> I bet nintendo are kicking themselves for selling millions of gameboys
> without 3d chips in. Because 3d chips are what makes
> "everyone" buy things....

No, they are not "kicking themselves" for not using 3d chips earlier. The point is they didnt need to move the handheld on technology wise very much as there were little or no rivals. So why bother investing in new R&D, when Nintendo already had a captive market? No point, just give the GBA, and then relaunch it in a new case - the GBA-SP. Nice little earner.

But if you look at how similar the home consoles are, you can see how rival products has pushed developement up a gear. Nobody can afford to be 5 years behind. Hence the reason Nintendo now, at long last, have to get their fiinger out and make a product to go on sale alongside PSP. Problem is, I think the Sony machine will win the battle.
Sat 18/12/04 at 17:00
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
> The reason why these
> underdogs never became popular is due to the marketing of Nintendo.
> Nobody was ever going to buy a near "vapourware" product
> like N-GAGE or Geamegear when you could buy a well know, popular
> brand like Nintendo.
>
> This is actually the most ridiculous thing you've ever said. You just
> pull theories out or your ass with 0 evidence or reason to back them
> up, and state them as fact. It's appalling. SEGA were always 'cooler'
> than Nintendo, and when they released the GameGear it was much like
> Sony releasing the PSP.
>
> You also didn't reply to the idea that the most popular handheld
> games have extremely simple mechanics and graphics. The DS, you have
> to admit, offers an even simpler way of interacting with games.
> EyeToy proved that removing the obstacle of the joypad increases
> acessibility to all. If simplicity sells handhelds, then surely the
> handheld with the simplest control interface will be more popular, to
> a degree.

Whats EyeToy got to do with the DS? EyeToy does work, but its for home consoles. It certainly doesnt work anything like a Stylus, so why think the DS Stylus will be a great hit?

Was Sega cooler than Nintendo? Thats another debate. As far as I could see, the GameGear was simply not going to win out over Nintendo. The Gameboy had such a fan base, it would always be a difficult task for Geamgear. And the technology wasnt that great - but things have changed now. We now live in a world in which "video games" are main stream, and Sony is a major player in that industry - none of which was the case pre 1995. So the 2 things are not the same.
Sat 18/12/04 at 15:27
Regular
"-_-"
I bet nintendo are kicking themselves for selling millions of gameboys without 3d chips in. Because 3d chips are what makes "everyone" buy things....
Sat 18/12/04 at 14:33
Regular
Christ, it is that Top Score guy.

Am I right in thinking that he was the guy who used to boast about having a wife and driving a Lexus?

You people really should just ignore him. He only comes here to get a reaction and you're just feeding his insatiable hunger for being a c**t.
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:24
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> The reason why these
> underdogs never became popular is due to the marketing of Nintendo.
> Nobody was ever going to buy a near "vapourware" product
> like N-GAGE or Geamegear when you could buy a well know, popular
> brand like Nintendo.

This is actually the most ridiculous thing you've ever said. You just pull theories out or your ass with 0 evidence or reason to back them up, and state them as fact. It's appalling. SEGA were always 'cooler' than Nintendo, and when they released the GameGear it was much like Sony releasing the PSP.

You also didn't reply to the idea that the most popular handheld games have extremely simple mechanics and graphics. The DS, you have to admit, offers an even simpler way of interacting with games. EyeToy proved that removing the obstacle of the joypad increases acessibility to all. If simplicity sells handhelds, then surely the handheld with the simplest control interface will be more popular, to a degree.
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:18
Regular
Meh, no games are properly 3D anyway.

It's impossible unless they make retarded looking TV's :P
Sat 18/12/04 at 13:13
Regular
SEGA had a very popular image in the mid ninties when the Gamegear was released...

And are you trying to say Nokia, one of the most recognised brands of modern times, are not popular?

Don't make me laugh, Nokia failed because it tried to be too many things at once, a video player, a mobile phone and an MP3 player and it didn't work...

Oh wait.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.