GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question: If Nintendo have been so revolutionary...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Why is the DS the first handheld they have used a 3D chip in?

Come on it's not like 3D chips are new
Page:
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:43
Regular
"and PC user"
By moving levels that are in use to Ram from the UMD disc, and/or using jog protection memory buffers, the problem of skipping disc errors will be reduced to a min. And the fact the disc is in a shell like device helps. Everyone knows DVD-RAM discs are not popular, but they are more stable than other forms of blank DVD.

I have a Sony Discman, with ESP2 Shock Protection, and the you really have to give the unit a slap big time to make the music skip.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:43
Regular
"-_-"
Oi macintosh WAKE UP!
It's not the next bloody walkman!
It isnt going to change anything!
And Wipeout G fricking T isnt going to make adults play games!
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:44
Regular
The reason Nintendo did not want to use the disc is because the DS is a reactionary product not a revolutionary product. This meant that Nintendo had neither the time, money or technical know how to pull it off.
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:49
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Top score wrote:
> The reason Nintendo did not want to use the disc is because the DS is
> a reactionary product not a revolutionary product. This meant that
> Nintendo had neither the time, money or technical know how to pull it
> off.

Hahaha. What utter crap.

Have you ever wondered why the PSP has such a short battery life Top Score? Yes, it's because it has a big screen and its format is read with a LASER. And guess what? Yes, lasers require MORE current to work then chip formats.

Oh, and your crap about Nintendo not using a customised format for the DS- do you even know what the DS cartridges look like? Are you saying they're not customised?
Tue 04/01/05 at 16:58
Regular
I for one would not be concerned about the battery life 3hrs 30mins is a good amount of battery for a game as big, and beautiful as ridge racer. Get your facts right goto IGN for the real battery life.

By the way which would you rather play GT4 mobile on a large 16.9 screen or mario cart on a 3in low res screen.

Thank you I rest my case.
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:04
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Yes, I've read the IGN article. What you fail to realise is that handhelds are best-suited for multiplayer gaming- especially as both the PSP and DS hav e Wireless capabilities out of the box. So for two PSP's playing Ridge Racer, the battery life is only 2hrs, 46 minutes. Also note- that figure is for two PSP's- imagine what it would be like with 8 connected?

And for your information, Mario Kart wipes the floor with GT anyday of the week.

Edit: Oh, and 3" compared to 4.3" is nothing, really.
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Top Score it's so obvious that you know nothing. 3hrs is RUBBISH when playing games. It's a simple fact. You can't dispute it.
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:56
"High polygon count"
Dringo wrote:
> Or maybe Nintendo were aware that mini discs require lasers and a lot
> of power to run, therefore destroying battery life.

Not true.

My Sony NetMD MZ-N1 has over 100 hours battery life.

It's the screen that's the drain, not the laser.

> Also it means the games can be jogged.

Sony have a very successful anti-skip mechanism with the G-protection system. I've never been able to make my MD skip yet - and playing a game, you're far less likely to be moving fast enough to jog it than you are when listening to music.

If you're going to put up arguments, at least think it through a little!

> The average teen/adult would not be seen dead walking around playing
> games.

Well, not with the archaic design of the DS, anyway! PSP on the other hand is something you'd actually WANT to show off! ;-p
Tue 04/01/05 at 17:57
"High polygon count"
Chipseh wrote:
> Edit: Oh, and 3" compared to 4.3" is nothing, really.

I bet your girlfriend would disagree! :-)
Tue 04/01/05 at 18:20
Regular
"bit of a brain"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> If you're going to put up arguments, at least think it through a
> little!

From the man who said that Nintendo have not released an original game since the NES.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.