GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question: If Nintendo have been so revolutionary...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Why is the DS the first handheld they have used a 3D chip in?

Come on it's not like 3D chips are new
Page:
Fri 17/12/04 at 09:26
Regular
Better quality screens and plastic?!?!?! Wow, the PSP will surely be the best console ever!
Fri 17/12/04 at 09:23
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
If you read most reviews of DS games they are not favourable, most of the games have a rushed feel to them as does the DS (dire system).

The truth is that the DS is a reactionary device rather than a revolutionary device, up against the PSP in terms of quality of screen and plastics, and design it's like comparing a BMW to a Lada, sorry that's a little harsh on the lada better built than a DS.

Nintendo was not due to replace GBA for another 2 or 3 years.

Two screens sounds impressive, but actually it's highly impractical, people have been complaining it is hard to hold it with one hand when you need to use the stylus to play games.

Stylus to play games, come off it can't believe you fanboys are creaming yourself about this one. Go and buy yourself a pda that has had a stylus for years.

Quality of screens the resolution is no better than most makes of Camera phones and only a little better than the GBA.

The size of the screens 3in is like comparing a 14in portable to a 32in widescreen (PSP).

The Nintendo DS is a load of rubbish and time will only tell how well it holds up to the PSP, but I can see it going the way of the N64.

As a playstation consumer, I expect good graphics and gameplay, if I were a Ninty boy though 1 out of 2 would do me, public however seem to disagree.
Thu 16/12/04 at 22:08
Regular
Nintendo always have insisted the DS is not a "replacement" for the Gameboy.

That the GBA will continue besides it. The GBA was the biggest selling console in America a few weeks back when the DS was launched. It outsold the DS, the Gameboy outsold the new handheld?!?!?!?!??!?! And the Gameboy outsold the DS in Japan and will outsell the PSP (only because there was a limited shipment though) as well.

The Gameboy will get less support but sales figures will continue to dominate when prices are dropped for both the software and the hardware sometime next year.

The DS may set the world alight, it may do solidly or it may fail. If it does the first then Nintendo have saved themselves like they did with Pokemon. If it does the second is has succcessfully stopped the PSP from doing too much damage and has introduced the world to a new time of gaming that can continue into Revolution. If it does the third then Nintendo will need a new Gameboy to stop the PSP and perhaps start afresh...

again.
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:49
Regular
"and PC user"
Dringo has some good points.

I did read on one site that DS had been introduced to rival PSP, and was not in "long term planning", but I wouldnt say that it is the truth. Maybe, may not. I have also seen stuff backing up the idea of a new GBA, not the DS - but a brand new GBA, which is not due for a while yet. Very possible, and maybe some sites get this mixed up with the DS.
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:42
Regular
Macintosh wrote:
> There's nothing wrong with 2D games as such. But I would go with the
> idea that Nintendo would not be launching DS now, if it were not for
> PSP. I think, Nintendo would be otherwise quite happy to bleed the
> public dry with the GBA-SP for a few more years. Why spend money on a
> new hand held project when you dont need to. PSP has been a wake up
> call for Nintendo.

Eh whata now?

The DS has been in development for a long time, so has the games. Things like this don't happen in a year.

The DS's release may have been pushed early to compete with the PSP but that's it. Nothing else.

Also the DS is not a Gameboy. A gameboy is a gameboy and I really think they shouldn't go into 3D properly EVER!

The PSP and DS may be succesful machines but my belief the winner of this war will be the Gameboy. It will destroy the PSP and the DS in terms of sales and always will. The GBA is cheap and for the younger generation, it is simple, fun and ideal for journeys. The PSP is a gadget for adults who can afford it and the DS is for hardcore gamers who want something innovative.

With that in mind all 3 could "sell" but Nintendo are putting another blockade for Sony to knock down.

I mean if the worse came to the worse and the PSP did crush the DS, that was just the little hurdle, the Gameboy, the big boss, stands behind that, a towering 80 mile high wall.

And nothing ever will topple it.
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:15
Regular
And you and Top Score are completely impartial, are you? Can you not see the hypocrisy in what you're saying?

Yes, the PSP may well have had an influence in Nintendo's development of the DS. But consider that Nintendo said, before the PSP was even known of, that work was well underway on the GBA's successor. Consider also that the PSP and DS were announced at essentially the same time and the DS was released before the PSP. What you're saying is a possibility, but you have no evidence to back it up and yet you call it truth.

I could just as easily speculate that Sony saw that Nintendo were developing the DS and thought it would be an appropriate time to enter the handheld market, what with it being more lucrative and less hostile given Nintendo's drop of the Game Boy brand.
Thu 16/12/04 at 21:03
Regular
"and PC user"
Shame when people cant take the truth
Thu 16/12/04 at 20:45
Regular
*bum
Thu 16/12/04 at 20:43
Regular
If Top Score is such a moron, why don't we just burn him?
Thu 16/12/04 at 20:41
Regular
Hah, what a ridiculous question.

That's like saying "If Nintendo are so revolutionary, why didn't they invent things sooner?"
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.