GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Question: If Nintendo have been so revolutionary...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/12/04 at 09:29
Regular
"Nintendo RIP"
Why is the DS the first handheld they have used a 3D chip in?

Come on it's not like 3D chips are new
Page:
Sun 02/01/05 at 18:28
Regular
"bit of a brain"
His main criticisms of the DS are nothing to do with the games, they seem to be to do with its image and the fact that it has a stylus and worse graphics than the PSP. Think about how ridiculous that is.

When we level criticisms about the PSPs battery life, about the use of the extra features which you are paying extra for, and about the lack of games which you would actually want to play, he comes up short every time.
Sun 02/01/05 at 18:24
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
I love this "moving parts" talk... what a load of crap.

So Macintosh- you're saying that Sony are going to be able to selectively put parts of the PSP to sleep? Haha- they're not going to be put to sleep, they just won't be in use. You fool.

Look- what is the point in coming into a forum spouting a load of crap just to back up your points? "moving parts" being my personal favourite.

Get some facts, actually PLAY (as in, you, yourself) both the DS and PSP, and then maybe, just maybe, your fanboy-ish remarks will mean something. I own a DS, and therefore it's fair to say that your comments regarding it are ignorant and childish, to be honest.

Grow up.
Sun 02/01/05 at 18:09
Regular
"Random by default"
Edgy wrote:
> Plus:
> With PSP you need memory units.
>
> With DS you don't.

Sony are happy with giving away free features which arnt actual useful to a person who wants a gaming handheld console, yet when it comes down to useful features (no need for memory units)...shesh...just to make the extra money too.

On the topic:
Yeah, 3D chips have been around for ages so it wouldnt be a revolution, no matter if it wasnt in a handheld before...plus the reasons have been said.
Also theres more than graphics to playing games, infact making better graphics isnt quite so revolutionary these days.
Sun 02/01/05 at 18:01
Regular
Agreed.

Plus:
With PSP you need memory units.

With DS you don't.

Macintosh. You can argue til you're blue in the face and it wont change our minds on any argument so far.
Sun 02/01/05 at 17:58
Regular
"bit of a brain"
MP3 works for 10 hours on the PSP.

I still don't see why you'd want it for music though, seeing as you have to pay an extra £100 to get any decent storage.
Sun 02/01/05 at 17:57
Regular
Except the CPU is still required to process the audio file.

Example, my PC right now is using approximately 8% of CPU power.

If I move the mouse rapidly it goes up to 13%.

All that is happening is I am telling the computer to move the cursor to various parts of the screen.

Every little thing that a CPU has to do requires power. No matter how small. Sure, handheld CPUs may not require fans to keep them cool. But they still drain power when they're used.

Sleep mode still powers an LED and tells the CPU to listen for input. Thus it is still draining power.
Sun 02/01/05 at 17:35
Regular
"and PC user"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Hahaha you are such a moron.
>
> iPods and PSP's are totally different things, an iPod has like
> an 8 bit graphics display with a backlight whereas the PSP has a
> massive TFT megapixel screen (I have no idea on the spec)
>
> And also, you've got to remember that 'sleep mode' still uses power
> regardless of what you have open.

Very lttle infact. If the LCD is a sleep, using almost zero power, the UMD drive in sleep too, why should mp3 music playback drain the battery?

And maybe the CPU can go into "low power" mode which would be enough to playback mp3's, but also save some more power.
Sun 02/01/05 at 16:17
Regular
Hahaha you are such a moron.

iPods and PSP's are totally different things, an iPod has like an 8 bit graphics display with a backlight whereas the PSP has a massive TFT megapixel screen (I have no idea on the spec)

And also, you've got to remember that 'sleep mode' still uses power regardless of what you have open.
Sun 02/01/05 at 16:13
Regular
"and PC user"
So you can use the screen to navigate your music list, but you can always turn it off/down once the music is playing to save battery. Maybe its "Energy Star" compliant and does that for you. It wont use the UMD drive for MP3 music - so more hardware in "sleep mode". Its just the memory stick (no moving parts), playing back through software, to the headphone amplifier. And lets not forget, things like ipods have screens for "navigation" - there just smaller. I really cant see a big difference. Battery life in mp3 mode should not be an issue.
Sun 02/01/05 at 16:08
Regular
Emitime wrote:
> Why would you need a screen to listen to MP3s?

I'm guessing that the PSP will probably include some sort of "play while you listen" type feature for some of it's games.

But yeah, what Chipseh said.
Page:

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.