GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Network help"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/12/04 at 14:12
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ok, put a similar topic in the xbox/windows forum but hey.
Broadband being installed tomorrow, and I need some advice re networking and I dont have clue 1 about doing it - so advice is welcome:

A wireless router, plugs into the cable modem from NTL and my pc will feed off this.
So I need a wireless network card then?
My machine already has a Compaq Netelligent 10 T/2 PCI UTP/Coax Controller - would this be one?

So I get a card and plug NTL into the router and voila, I'm away?
Fri 17/12/04 at 08:14
Regular
"NULL"
Nope, not managed anything. Though in theory, if you used BitTorrent through port 8080 it would work, there just wouldn't be many torrents available.
Fri 17/12/04 at 02:41
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Well I have heard of legendary bit-torrent programs that can work through the firewall by using the available ports...

although I haven't actually been able to get anything working...
Fri 17/12/04 at 02:23
Regular
"NULL"
tigamilla wrote:
> Ey have you got any downloading progs working on the network?

How d'ya mean downloading progs? Like DAP and stuff? Yeah, I think I've got DAP working.
Fri 17/12/04 at 02:06
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Nimco wrote:
> My record since I've been at Uni is 12GB in a day. The joys of a 1MBps
> (8Mbps) connection.

Ey have you got any downloading progs working on the network?

My record... must have sitting in the Uni cache already; 200 MB in just over 60 seconds!
Thu 16/12/04 at 12:22
Regular
"NULL"
My record since I've been at Uni is 12GB in a day. The joys of a 1MBps (8Mbps) connection.
Wed 15/12/04 at 11:59
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Tyla wrote:
> **Only 4 weeks till I see my beautiful 3Mb!!**
> whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!;)

Boo!

:'{
Wed 15/12/04 at 11:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Pandaemonium wrote:
> cookie monster wrote:
> It will, infact, the windows one is probably better.
>
> How does it compare to sygate personal (the one I'm currently using)

Not sure, ive never used it myself, but norton is a pile of cackness. The antivirus is decent though.
Wed 15/12/04 at 11:57
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
Ive disabled the SSID, got WEP and WPA encryption and im using MAC address filtering. I dont think it gets much more secure than that, though even that still isnt bullet proof.
Wed 15/12/04 at 11:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Miserableman wrote:
> Goatboy wrote:
> wireless network
>
> Do you have any security enabled on that wireless network of yours?
> Otherwise the local paedophiles will be able to download
> 3yearoldsuckshorse.mpg on your connection and you'll be none the
> wiser.

I only started using WEP on my wireless rig after the installation of my antenna, which kind of gave it away. Personally, I wouldn't bother securing it for now as;

a) the range is very limited and you'll probably notice the hoards of Paedo's in the front garden

b) Has nay one here actually tried finding an open wifi network... too much hassle. (fwiw, the only free open node in the uk is in Brighton)

On the router mamagement tool/software, you should be able to see who's connected to it anyway. Just occasionally take a peek and if you suddenly see PC's on there that aren't yours, then concider using WEP, though just changing the SYSID is often enough.
Wed 15/12/04 at 10:54
Regular
"bing bang bong"
Goatboy wrote:
> wireless network

Do you have any security enabled on that wireless network of yours? Otherwise the local paedophiles will be able to download 3yearoldsuckshorse.mpg on your connection and you'll be none the wiser.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.