GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Cube made me realise something."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/12/04 at 16:55
Regular
Firstly, as some people on this forum will know, I was an avid Xbox fanboy. After managing to mature and open my doors to other areas of gaming, I was introduced to the Gamecube by my fellow forum friends (emphasis on the alliteration) and purchased one to see what it was like. Impressed with what was on offer I bought many games, until, due to financial circumstances, it had to go.

Bring forward one year, I've shed my love for the Xbox and repurchased a Gamecube. Don't get me wrong, the Xbox is a great console, it's just it didn't interest me anymore. I became fed up with "Realistic Racer #121531443" and all of the 'realistic games' that are on offer. Gamecube had that 'thing', the 'thing' that puts the fun into gaming once again. I remember playing the Amiga and loving all the quirky little games like James Pond and Super Frog, all that just isn't really there on say the PS2 or Xbox.

It's these games that are unique, they offer that fun factor that anyone can play. Which leads me onto the title of the post, The Gamecube made me realise that Nintendo really do make fun games, proved by a session on Mario Kart: DD yesterday with my family. Thats right, you heard it, my family for christs sake. The controls were easily adapted to by my Mum and Dad and my brothers and sister enjoyed the frantic racing.

"So what? I play with my GC with my sisters and brothers all the time" I hear you cry, well lets put things straight here, other then myself, my family never ever played with me on my Xbox, the games were just too complicated for them to really understand. With Mario Kart, you just pick up the game, press A and go. There's nothing more to it, it sounds boring on paper, but it's as funny as hell in the game when you manage to plant a green koopa shell in the back of your sisters kart.

Yeah, it might of just been a Christmas thing, but It's made me realise that the Gamecube is a fun console to have and holds the potential for excellent multiplayer gaming.

It's made me realise that the Gamecube is, for once in my life, a console that I will keep until it's replaced with the next one up.

Heres to the future.

gamesfreak.
Thu 30/12/04 at 17:56
Regular
I never bother with these "extra collection" things you talk about.

Don't mean to offend, but I just find it a waste of time, unless (like Dringo said) you get something in return for completing the task.
Thu 30/12/04 at 14:54
Regular
"0228"
Dringo wrote:
> Although sometimes the little bit extra is almost 100% pointless,
> like getting all the photo's in Wind Waker. I did not bother with
> that.

I spent ages doing that. I even had to start a new game so I could get some of the bosses that I missed out but it looks good when you see that the gallery is totally complete.
Thu 30/12/04 at 14:17
Regular
"kill my enemys"
yes the gamecube is a very good console with loads of really good games i really like metroid prime as its not so easy yet not so hard the gamecube is meant to be for fun because of its 4 conroller pads and the xbox dont use thsat to there advantage as the gamecube does.the gamecube maybe classed as kiddy or easy or even remarkbly boring but thats wrong.its very fun and it is for the all time gamer.i do admit that some of the games are cartoony and maybe a bit kiddy such as paper mario 2.
Thu 30/12/04 at 13:38
Regular
I did indeed, but then I loved both Pikmin 2 and Mario Sunshine so damn much that I just had to keep playing. It was a great reason too.

Beyond Good and Evil, although VERY VERY VERY good, is not exactly as great as Nintendo's classics. I didn't get the urge to collect all the pearls and what not from that game, it wasn't as compelling as the above two Nintendo titles. So I didn't bother. I still completed the game and loved it, but it wasn't good enough to make me return to it.

Although sometimes the little bit extra is almost 100% pointless, like getting all the photo's in Wind Waker. I did not bother with that. I still had Metroid Prime to play after all.
Thu 30/12/04 at 01:06
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> Getting all the ship parts is far more rewarding than collecting the
> blasted blue coins.

Indeed, which is why I actually bothered. But you saying about all the unlockables.. well as I said you get them anyway.
Wed 29/12/04 at 22:51
Regular
Getting all the ship parts is far more rewarding than collecting the blasted blue coins.
Wed 29/12/04 at 17:28
Regular
"thursdayton!"
Dringo wrote:
> Well getting all the treasure in Pikmin 2 and all the blue coins in
> Mario Sunshine are very different things.
>
> Pikmin 2 encourages you to make Olimar's company a rich one, and you
> are asked to save Looie so you might as well go back and continue the
> game.

No, they're not very different things.

By continuing in Pikmin 2 you do get the extra level, and you do get the chance to save Louie. But you can save Louie without getting every last thing. Getting every single treasure isn't necessary and therefore it's the same as the Blue Coins in Mario. Although the short video in Pikmin is a far superior reward to the changed ending screen in Sunshine.
Wed 29/12/04 at 17:19
Regular
"0228"
I don't plan on going hunting for them (not in the near future anyway) but I do feel that the game is incomplete.

I get the same feeling with SSBM, I still need three trophies (one of them is Captain Olimar though) but I don't really want to go after them at the moment because I know it will take a lot of time going through the same section of the game over and over again until I do it when I could be going through fresh sections of Metroid Prime 2 that is nowhere near complete.

However, doing this leaves me with a collection of uncomplete games but I do go back to my old games from time to time to try to get them finished. On some occasions I will stick with a game until it's fully complete and enjoy it, Wind Waker for example, but other times I just play through because I feel I have too but when/if I do complete them, I do get a good sense of happiness and relief and it is that feeling that drives me to play them.

This also means that I never sell my old games because I want to complete them at some point but unfortunately I rarely do.
Wed 29/12/04 at 17:05
Regular
I did completley finish the game, I loved it so much I hunted for all the coins. I enjoyed it.

If you found hunting for the blue coins a chore then don't do it. It is hardly essential and there's no point in it ruining your experience of the game.
Wed 29/12/04 at 16:55
Regular
"0228"
Yes, but you didn't find all of them as you went around for the first time. You had to do a bit of thinking and searching for them because some were off the route you followed to get to the shine.

E.g. The 'M's that were written on walls that you had to wash off for a coin weren't always in clear view. You had to look behind walls and on rocks that you didn't need to visit to get the shines.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.