GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Cube made me realise something."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/12/04 at 16:55
Regular
Firstly, as some people on this forum will know, I was an avid Xbox fanboy. After managing to mature and open my doors to other areas of gaming, I was introduced to the Gamecube by my fellow forum friends (emphasis on the alliteration) and purchased one to see what it was like. Impressed with what was on offer I bought many games, until, due to financial circumstances, it had to go.

Bring forward one year, I've shed my love for the Xbox and repurchased a Gamecube. Don't get me wrong, the Xbox is a great console, it's just it didn't interest me anymore. I became fed up with "Realistic Racer #121531443" and all of the 'realistic games' that are on offer. Gamecube had that 'thing', the 'thing' that puts the fun into gaming once again. I remember playing the Amiga and loving all the quirky little games like James Pond and Super Frog, all that just isn't really there on say the PS2 or Xbox.

It's these games that are unique, they offer that fun factor that anyone can play. Which leads me onto the title of the post, The Gamecube made me realise that Nintendo really do make fun games, proved by a session on Mario Kart: DD yesterday with my family. Thats right, you heard it, my family for christs sake. The controls were easily adapted to by my Mum and Dad and my brothers and sister enjoyed the frantic racing.

"So what? I play with my GC with my sisters and brothers all the time" I hear you cry, well lets put things straight here, other then myself, my family never ever played with me on my Xbox, the games were just too complicated for them to really understand. With Mario Kart, you just pick up the game, press A and go. There's nothing more to it, it sounds boring on paper, but it's as funny as hell in the game when you manage to plant a green koopa shell in the back of your sisters kart.

Yeah, it might of just been a Christmas thing, but It's made me realise that the Gamecube is a fun console to have and holds the potential for excellent multiplayer gaming.

It's made me realise that the Gamecube is, for once in my life, a console that I will keep until it's replaced with the next one up.

Heres to the future.

gamesfreak.
Sun 26/12/04 at 16:55
Regular
Firstly, as some people on this forum will know, I was an avid Xbox fanboy. After managing to mature and open my doors to other areas of gaming, I was introduced to the Gamecube by my fellow forum friends (emphasis on the alliteration) and purchased one to see what it was like. Impressed with what was on offer I bought many games, until, due to financial circumstances, it had to go.

Bring forward one year, I've shed my love for the Xbox and repurchased a Gamecube. Don't get me wrong, the Xbox is a great console, it's just it didn't interest me anymore. I became fed up with "Realistic Racer #121531443" and all of the 'realistic games' that are on offer. Gamecube had that 'thing', the 'thing' that puts the fun into gaming once again. I remember playing the Amiga and loving all the quirky little games like James Pond and Super Frog, all that just isn't really there on say the PS2 or Xbox.

It's these games that are unique, they offer that fun factor that anyone can play. Which leads me onto the title of the post, The Gamecube made me realise that Nintendo really do make fun games, proved by a session on Mario Kart: DD yesterday with my family. Thats right, you heard it, my family for christs sake. The controls were easily adapted to by my Mum and Dad and my brothers and sister enjoyed the frantic racing.

"So what? I play with my GC with my sisters and brothers all the time" I hear you cry, well lets put things straight here, other then myself, my family never ever played with me on my Xbox, the games were just too complicated for them to really understand. With Mario Kart, you just pick up the game, press A and go. There's nothing more to it, it sounds boring on paper, but it's as funny as hell in the game when you manage to plant a green koopa shell in the back of your sisters kart.

Yeah, it might of just been a Christmas thing, but It's made me realise that the Gamecube is a fun console to have and holds the potential for excellent multiplayer gaming.

It's made me realise that the Gamecube is, for once in my life, a console that I will keep until it's replaced with the next one up.

Heres to the future.

gamesfreak.
Sun 26/12/04 at 17:12
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
gamesfreak wrote:

> Heres to the future.
>
> gamesfreak.

Nooo! You drank from the fountain of Dringo! :D

Heh, anyway, the only video games I ever played with my family were on my NES and SNES. Aah, Super Mario World 3... memories.

"Look, Mum, I have 30 lives!"
Sun 26/12/04 at 18:18
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
This is part of the reason why I got a GameCube again. It has some great, original, quirky titles that you just can't find elsewhere.
Sun 26/12/04 at 18:47
Regular
Paper Mario 2 and Pikmin 2 come to mind and in a sense Tales of Symphonia also because Nintendo were the only company who commited to publishing it in Europe and America. The game has a Nintendo-esque feel to it.
Sun 26/12/04 at 18:56
Regular
"thursdayton!"
That's Nintendo. My sister hates games of any kind and thinks they are way too geeky for her. But on the way back home from relatives yesterday I showed her one of the minigames on Mario 64 DS and because of it's very easy stylus controls she became hooked.
Sun 26/12/04 at 20:50
Regular
"gsybe you!"
1) It has more top quality games than most other consoles ever
2) It has the greatest game ever
3) It's pure, simple, fun
4) If my Xbox had no Live connection, it'd be out the door.

Simple.
Sun 26/12/04 at 21:02
Regular
Chipseh wrote:
> Nooo! You drank from the fountain of Dringo! :D

It was an intentional mockery of Dringo's common footnote.

In the meantime, I do have Tales of Symphonia as well, which is currently brilliant, but I doubt it'd be a game other people in this family would want to play.

I might get Paper Mario 2 at some point.
Sun 26/12/04 at 21:50
Regular
I'm honoured really. Even if I haven't used it regulary in years.

Games like Pikmin 2 and Paper Mario 2 are games only Nintendo can make.

And the fact only Nintendo can make them will keep the fans coming back for years.

2 weeks to Zelda: four swords!
Sun 26/12/04 at 21:58
Regular
Dringo wrote:

> 2 weeks to Zelda: four swords!

What's the big whoop about this game?

Not looked much into it, so i'd like to be enlightened. All I've seen is some crappy multiplayer Zelda game that looks more like a Gameboy Colour game than a cube game.

Surely I'm missing something?
Sun 26/12/04 at 22:01
Regular
There's one-player as well, which many say is actually better than multiplayer. If the multi-Link dynamic thang is anything like Minish Cap, it shall rock muchly.

Doubt it'll be better than Minish Cap though.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.