GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Toying with the idea of Final Fantasy +2nd hand PS2"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Final Fantasy VII'.
Wed 29/12/04 at 00:06
Regular
"8==="
Thinking of picking up a cheap PS2 and a copy of a Final Fantasy game.

Where would you recommend I get a secondhand PS2 from (preferably a place that gives a few months guarantee)?

Which final Fantasy should I start with?

But also I need to know about the presentation of the games as at the moment cacky japanese music really doesn't appeal to me. There's not to much singing in them is there? And there aren't to many squeaky characters that I can't immediately push off a cliff.... hopefully?

What's good and what sucks?
Fri 31/12/04 at 04:58
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
£30 deal. Start with 7 to get into the swing of things. Play 8 a couple of times to get its unique storyline. By this time you'll be either hardcore fanatic and can go onto the anthologies (which are old-skool FF and geared more to Japanese fans) or you'll prefer the westernised versions and progress to 9, X and X-2.
Fri 31/12/04 at 04:33
Regular
"8==="
Well a quick look means I can get a PS + FF7 + FF8 for just over 30 quid.

or I can chuck in FF anthology (4+5) and FF 6 for just under 60.

FF 9's a little pricey so I'll give that a miss for now.

So should I start with the £30 deal or go for the £60 deal?
Fri 31/12/04 at 02:49
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
It is but I wouldn't put it in the same catagory of game as FF. I enjoyed FF7 but my favourite is FF8 although I am currently replaying FF9 :)

EDIT

And they all play perfectly on my PS2
Fri 31/12/04 at 02:45
Regular
"8==="
Disgaea's a PS2 game right?

Hmmmm.
Thu 30/12/04 at 13:55
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Don't even bother getting a PS2 with a FF from this generation, they're both crap. No what you need good sir is a copy of Disgaea, that is all you will ever need (until La Pucelle and Phantom Brave come out over in Europe) now go out there and go buy it
Thu 30/12/04 at 09:44
Regular
Glad you're thinking of getting both 7 and 8. FF7 always goes down as a candidate for the best FF game in every one of these discussions, but FF8 so often gets left out, or even shouted at. I know I liked it, perhaps as much or more than FF7, and I also know that Fantasy Meister liked FF8 and its junctioning system (but this was from a discussion several years ago, so my memory might not be 100% on that, but I'm pretty sure).
Thu 30/12/04 at 09:36
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
God awful card system?
It was a darn sight better than 8's for sure.
And it didn't have character cards and so forth.
And you didn't have to choose between excellent armour and a new card.
PFFT
Thu 30/12/04 at 07:06
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> Ok seems like there's only the online one on PC. PS1 sounds like a
> good idea how far up does FF go on the PS1? and how far back should I
> go before the FF games become awful?

you can actually grab FF7 on PC, although it's quite poor (presentation-wise) compared to the PSOne version.

> I have played 1-2 (and I think 3) on the PC briefly and didn't like
> 'em.

Most people don't. It was 7 that sucked everyone in.

I see you're going for a PSOne with 7&8. Excellent choice. I'd recommend 9 if it wasn't for the God-Awful card system. You can also pick up Anthology (4&5 or 5&6, can't remember) and Origins (1&2) on PSOne. Any higher than 9 and you'll have to grab a PS2.
Wed 29/12/04 at 19:15
Regular
"Notable"
HIS LIFE! HIS LIFE!
Wed 29/12/04 at 19:14
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Not 8.
No sir.
Please.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.