GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pokemon on Cube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Pokemon Colosseum'.
Thu 30/12/04 at 17:25
Regular
Yep, Nintendo have announced that a GBA-style Pokemon adventure is underway for the Cube.

Now this has got me thinking two ways. It could turn out as a successful RPG, racking up the sales like it's GBA brother did ever so well.

But on the other-hand I have a feeling the exploration side of the game won't work in 3D that well. Sure, the battles will look brilliant, as Colossuem has already proved, but the other side of the game I have my doubts about. And, even though the Cube is owned by loads of kids, I have a feeling it won't sell well. Maybe because little kids will get burned if they buy it, I don't know. But I've got a doubt in the back of my mind. It's probably just me being stupid, but there we are.

I won't buy it, because even though deep down my heart is telling me I love Pokemon, my mind knows I will get burned/kicked/eaten/stroked if I do buy it.

So kids, get excited!
Thu 30/12/04 at 17:25
Regular
Yep, Nintendo have announced that a GBA-style Pokemon adventure is underway for the Cube.

Now this has got me thinking two ways. It could turn out as a successful RPG, racking up the sales like it's GBA brother did ever so well.

But on the other-hand I have a feeling the exploration side of the game won't work in 3D that well. Sure, the battles will look brilliant, as Colossuem has already proved, but the other side of the game I have my doubts about. And, even though the Cube is owned by loads of kids, I have a feeling it won't sell well. Maybe because little kids will get burned if they buy it, I don't know. But I've got a doubt in the back of my mind. It's probably just me being stupid, but there we are.

I won't buy it, because even though deep down my heart is telling me I love Pokemon, my mind knows I will get burned/kicked/eaten/stroked if I do buy it.

So kids, get excited!
Thu 30/12/04 at 18:00
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
I bought Colosseum the other week from some shop for a tenner and find it quite an enjoyable game. 18 hours in now, and up to the last battle... I think. I'm at the top of the tower doing some colosseum type match against some difficult opponents for a change, which I think is before the very last bloke. Overall it has been quite an enjoyable game. Even though once you get into it, you realise there isn't too many places to visit, like there are in the GBA itterations, and the game is quite linear. But it's kept me entertained for near 20 hours and there's barely anything there! So if Nintendo actually create a decent plot, have you walking about without just using cut-scenes to travel from place to place, then it could very easily create a superb RPG with 100's of hours of gameplay.

Also, if you can capture wild pokemon instead of stupid Shadow ones, then that'll be a big bonus. One thing that annoys me about Colosseum is when you get an opponent to 1 milimeter of health, make it confused etc, then bombard the thing with Great-Balls, but the stupid monster still escapes!!! grrr-argh :[

I think a proper Pokemon game on Cube will be a warm welcome, if a little late. Nintendo should have had one at launch, as it would have SOLD the console! But Nintendo... silly people they are. At least they seem to be turning things around nowadays, and actually making some reasonably sounds busines decisions.

So in closing, Yay, I'm all for a new, decent stand a lone Pokemon game on Cube.

:)
Thu 30/12/04 at 18:07
Regular
Ye, I agree with you about Colosseum. It's a good game, but some aspects such as the Shadow Pokemon just spoil the main adventure.

I just can't see the 'Pokemon catching' side of the adventure working in 3D. It works brilliantly on the GBA because you've got the top-down view, and can search along an area easily. Plus, due to the fact the GBA houses less-powerful visuals to the Cube, you don't need to see the Pokemon in the grass.

But in 3D there's plenty of things I feel wouldn't work.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:03
Regular
It'll work well if it is implemented well enough.

If it plays too much like a Pokémon Stadium game I'll be rather pished. However, it the battles are real time with decent sound effects (that we know a GameCube disc can store, despite the laziness in the Colluseum developers) and brilliant AI I could see it as being quite an enjoyable RPG.

At the very least it has got to be better than Pokémon Channel.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:24
Regular
If made correctly, it would be brilliant.
All you'd really need is an engine like the Wind Wakers, with Pokémon being found nearly anywhere, and battles being held in real time, where youthrow a pokemon, and take control of the pokemon, fighting with it.
Or, you can have it like Paper Mario, where you can see the enemy before going into battle, and score an advantage hittingan enemy with your pokeball first to get your pokemon out, you can have one out at a time (or more, whatever), with your character staying behind to use items, and if the pokemon dies, you can throw out a new one, and if they kioll your pokemon, they can harm your character, and if your HP goes to 0, you go to a Pokémon Centre/Hospital.

Easy.

I should work for Nintendo.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:35
Regular
"bit of a brain"
If they have random battles, they have to be easily avoidable and not too numerous (not like Skies on the DC, where you couldn't go 2 steps without a battle)
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:37
Regular
Like Paper Mario, but on a larger scale, and they randomly appear, whereas in PM you knew what enemy was always going to be there when you went through the door/pipe/wall
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:40
Regular
"bit of a brain"
IT would be rubbish to be able to see the wild pokemon, because then you could just pick and choose what you fight. The battles have to be random but you have to have the option of not competing in them.

And if it's 3D please god don't do the old cop out 2D game in a 3D viewpoint. Give us some up and down options, don't make it impossible to scale knee high ridges, as happens in far too many RPGs.
Thu 30/12/04 at 19:58
"period drama"
gerrid wrote:
> IT would be rubbish to be able to see the wild pokemon, because then
> you could just pick and choose what you fight. The battles have to be
> random but you have to have the option of not competing in them.

Or they could have some kind of thing (a symbol or 3D icon or something like that, but better) that moves around the map, which doesn't give away which pokémon you'll be fighting.

That way it keeps the surprise and you can avoid them if you want.
Thu 30/12/04 at 20:01
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I'd just make it easy to quit out of a batte, perhaps hold B while the screen flashes or something, like preventing evolutions in Red and Blue

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.