GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
""Give me some reasons why I shouldn't kill myself""

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 24/10/04 at 13:04
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Before we start: notice the quote marks around the title - I'm not going to kill myself. However s##t my life may get at any time in the future, I have several very valid reasons that will stay my hand every time the merest suggestion of it crosses my mind. Not going to happen.

This topic is about what reasons you would give someone else to try and persuade them not to do it. We're not talking about when you walk in and find your best mate with a shotgun in his mouth and you hastily try and stop him from redecorating the wall in Hint Of BrainTM, but I'm thinking more along the lines of someone who is close to you and has slowly gotten down and depressed and can't seem to see any valid reasons for carrying on.

Just to add more, erm, fun to the proceedings you have to imagine that the person you're giving reasons to has written stuff in her diary that basically says she doesn't she any reason why not to do it, has cut herself in the past, is in the midst of a hormonal roller-coaster ride at 14 years old and has just attended her best friend's funeral who killed herself a month ago.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:49
Regular
Notorious Biggles wrote:
"Perhaps take her out for the day, show her something she has never seen before (sick bas... she's only 14!) and prove to her that life doesn't always suck."

I swear that's a film, something they'd show on the Hallmark channel.

Life sucks absolute ass, but it's the best we get so better make the most of it. And fourteen isn't that surprising, I thought that's about the time most kids start questioning it.

There's plenty of challenge left in life anyway, and plenty left to do and watch. I think striving not to take anything too seriously helps shedloads too.

I wonder what percentage of people on this forum have at one point either tried to kill themselves or have had suicidal thoughts.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:49
Regular
"\\"
You read through your nieces diaries and stare at the breasts... Oh dear.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:46
Regular
"Twenty quid."
It is one of the nieces, yes.

I wouldn't say she has "suicidal tendencies" but she says things in her diary like she wants to feel how her friend felt and that she wants to be with her. She has low self esteem despite being tall and pretty - her cousin (the other niece) has enormous boobs, though, and she's jealous of that.

From what the large-breasted niece (LBN) tells us, she (the depressed one) is completely different when they're out with their mates.

At the moment, me and the (ex) missus have just been spending time with her, talking about stuff and generally trying to make her feel good about herself - her mum tries to talk with her but she (the mum) never let's her finish a sentence and does most of the talking. We've directed her mum to a website we found ([URL]http://www.selfharm.org.uk/[/URL]), but chances are she won't read it.

It's not all as bad as it seems, but after Amy (her friend) killed herself it just shook us all up a bit.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:30
"I love yo... lamp."
That the niece then? Oh dear oh dear.

How to phrase it, I don't exactly know. But basically point out to her that there is an awful lot of things in life that she hasn't yet experienced, many of which will make her happy. Whilst there is obviously a lot in life just now that makes her unhappy, it may change or go away over time.

Say she gets bullied at school. Then point out that she won't be there forever, and that a few very difficult years won't over shadow fifty great ones. If she can't wait to leave school, then the solution is to change school, or be taught from home or something.

If it is a self esteem issue from being podgy, or spotty or something, then encourage her to watch what she eats and exercise more. Or take echinacea (greatest acne killer known) or something.

I could prattle on for considerably longer, but the point is if something in her life bothers her that much, then either endure it until it changes or change it now. Very rarely is there something that doesn't fit into the above. If it is just manic depression and feelings of self worth, show her how much she means to the people around her.

Perhaps take her out for the day, show her something she has never seen before (sick bas... she's only 14!) and prove to her that life doesn't always suck.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:18
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Whitestripes X wrote:
> Tell her to go for it.
>
> It'll only get worse. Or better, but probably worse.

Ignore that comment. It ain't the answer.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:18
Regular
darkcrystal wrote:
> There's always someone worse off than you.

Rather obviously, that cannot be true.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:16
Regular
"tall skinny latte"
There's always someone worse off than you.
Sun 24/10/04 at 15:00
Regular
Tell her to go for it.

It'll only get worse. Or better, but probably worse.
Sun 24/10/04 at 14:24
Regular
"\\"
Hm. Suicide. One of things that floats across my mind from time to time, never taking that thought too seriously though. I'd be worse off dead, than alive, no matter how crappy I feel, because I know there's always that small amount of hope that things are going to get better, even if that hope does seem so incredibly small.
But if you're dead, things can't improve, and you'll never get another chance, not to do anything, even if life does seem crappy, there's always hope that it's going to get better, and if you're at the point of comiting suicide then you must think things can't get any worse, so surely things have to get better?

Ignore me, I'll be over here making a noose or something.
Sun 24/10/04 at 14:10
Regular
"For One Night Only"
I suppose it's my beliefs. I don't believe everything the Bible preaches. But it makes the mind work over time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.