GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"are nintendo finally growing up?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/05 at 19:31
Regular
"kill my enemys"
nintendo sometimes is classed as a kiddy console due to its 3+ age limit.

kind of true even if some games arent.

games such as super mario sunshine and most of the mario stuff are classed as kiddy and yes they are kiddy also the games such as pokemon.

but thanks to resident evil 4 and the new [B]real life[B] looking zelda and metroid prime 2 echoes is the gamecube and other consoles growing up at last and making the games harder?

please write down your issues on nintendo and there kiddy stuff!
Thu 06/01/05 at 14:10
Regular
Both media's have gone up by 6 times

256mb to 1.5gig gamecube

700mb to 4.5gig ps2

The only difference is one is big enough to hold a movie the other isn't.
Thu 06/01/05 at 13:53
Regular
"and PC user"
I also remember the extra cost of making carts was passed onto the customers. Many games were £50 or even £60 - although I think they did eventually get cheaper. PS1 games on the other hand would cost about £40.
Thu 06/01/05 at 11:53
Regular
Macintosh wrote:

> 32Mb carts? I thought most were 128Mb and 256Mb? Someone said
> Nintendo even made a 512Mb cart for the N64 - although I cant
> remember seeing one myself.

MAcintosh is right, the 512 MB cart was for a game called Resident Evil 2.
Thu 06/01/05 at 11:52
Regular
Top score wrote:

>
> Looks cool like a PSP you mean?

It's just a shame a PSP, like any handheld, isn't a cool thing to own.
Thu 06/01/05 at 11:00
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo have always tried to get adult software on the Gamecube. That
> isn't the problem. Nintendo need to make the revolution look like a
> cool media device and not a toy and advertise some adult games along
> with it.
>
> Children games can be ignored if adult games exist and the console
> looks cool.

Looks cool like a PSP you mean?
Thu 06/01/05 at 10:08
Regular
"and PC user"
Strafio wrote:
> Machintosh.

>
> Now the N64 DID have capacity problems.
> And although Nintendo and Rare worked wonders in cramming huge
> amazing games on those teensy 32Mb carts, that was the problem.
> They were working wonders that the average develloper couldn't keep
> up with, so third party games, especially multiformat ones, tended to
> suffer.
:-)

32Mb carts? I thought most were 128Mb and 256Mb? Someone said Nintendo even made a 512Mb cart for the N64 - although I cant remember seeing one myself.

Even in 1995, a 32Mb cart would have been seriously limited for a home console.
Thu 06/01/05 at 01:57
Regular
Nintendo have always tried to get adult software on the Gamecube. That isn't the problem. Nintendo need to make the revolution look like a cool media device and not a toy and advertise some adult games along with it.

Children games can be ignored if adult games exist and the console looks cool.
Wed 05/01/05 at 23:28
"The Will of D."
Here Here!!
Wed 05/01/05 at 23:23
Regular
Machintosh.

Dig yourself up an N64.
Should be cheap.

Now work your way through Zelda, Jet Force Gemini or Banjo Tooiee.
And compare it to the size of some Playstation classics, like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil and others that were made on the CD that happened to hold about 20 times as much.

Sure, Final Fantasy 7 ate it's way through about 3 disks, but that was almost all FMV. Almost everywhere can be revisited on the third disk.
Think I'm attributing too much space to FMV?
Think how much video a VCD holds.

Now the N64 DID have capacity problems.
And although Nintendo and Rare worked wonders in cramming huge amazing games on those teensy 32Mb carts, that was the problem.
They were working wonders that the average develloper couldn't keep up with, so third party games, especially multiformat ones, tended to suffer.

With the Gamecube's disks, 2 CD's, or 50 Zelda cartriges, worth of information, it's barely a problem for anyone.
And some games overstep this limit, and because the disks are cheap to make, they just make 2 disk games. And if anything had to be cut, it would only ever have to be a complete over-indulgance of FMV anyway.

Yes, Nintendo's Gamecube games have been fairly small (although no smaller really than your average PS2 "classic"), especially compared to the N64 behmoths that preceeded them, but that's because Nintendo want to make their games that way. NOT because they are pushed for disk size.

Now you could say that the DS is still with cartriges, and in a way that does cramp down on it's storage. But you only have to play Conker's Bad Fur Day to realise that even with minimal space, wonders can still be achieved, with sound/music/atmosphere quality, graphics, game size and detailed cutscenes. And atleast there won't be any sodding loading times! :-)
Wed 05/01/05 at 22:48
Regular
"gsybe you!"
The main problem is, people care too much.

Macintosh can anaylyse as much as he wants, but the whole argument is juvenile - and I don't give a flying f**k either way.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.