GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"are nintendo finally growing up?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/05 at 19:31
Regular
"kill my enemys"
nintendo sometimes is classed as a kiddy console due to its 3+ age limit.

kind of true even if some games arent.

games such as super mario sunshine and most of the mario stuff are classed as kiddy and yes they are kiddy also the games such as pokemon.

but thanks to resident evil 4 and the new [B]real life[B] looking zelda and metroid prime 2 echoes is the gamecube and other consoles growing up at last and making the games harder?

please write down your issues on nintendo and there kiddy stuff!
Fri 07/01/05 at 20:12
"period drama"
But over here people think a game is childish if it's not coloured grey and brown.
Fri 07/01/05 at 20:10
Regular
"and PC user"
Sure no problem, like I still run software from a set of floppy discs. Just gets in the way having to do this sort of thing.
Fri 07/01/05 at 20:08
Regular
I enjoy most of the games that Nintendo produce and I'm not a child. In my eyes they produce quality entertainment that the majority of people can enjoy. Sadly games of this calibre are often labelled as childish, when really they just can't be appreciated by a society fed on guns, violence and 18-rated material in games.

Head over to Japan and it's a completely different story. Call Mario "kiddy" there and you're not likely to get much support.
Fri 07/01/05 at 20:04
"period drama"
Personally, I base all my game-buying decisions on how many discs they are on.
Fri 07/01/05 at 20:01
Regular
"-_-"
to be honest if a game comes on two discs noone is really bothered...
I mean its not like i have nightmares of getting to the part where i have to switch the discs :S
Fri 07/01/05 at 19:57
Regular
"and PC user"
So you dont mind have games over more than 1 disc. Why go with that, when DVD can hold so much more, the same content prolly would fit on a single disc.
Fri 07/01/05 at 17:38
Regular
"Random by default"
You know, thinking about it, if we were idiots (wont name any names) we would prob be saying something like...

"See the GC is so good that developers are willing to not use the 3GB of extra space so they can put their games on it too!" or something.

Its already been proved space isnt really an issue (and even if it was the use of two discs might come into play...). Whilst discussing the original thread might lead to something useful, who knows.
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:43
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Macintosh wrote:
> Well, its 7Gb extra, not 3Gb. If games get really big, chances are
> they will fit on PS2 and XBox, but not on GameCube.

4.5GB-1.5GB=3GB. Do your maths. No games come on dual layer discs.

And as most games fit on one GC disc and one PS2 disc without compression or loss of anything (EA sports games being a prime example), how exactly are developers using that extra 3GB? They're not. They don't. Any game that was too big for one gamecube disc would come on two. It's not a problem.
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:37
Regular
Yep, the original GC memory card was small, but that was fine for most Nintendo games because they can be economical with spacing.
Thing is, mong tards like EA liked to fill it up with footballer statistics on Fifa games and the like...

The newer ones are a lot bigger and should cater for most of your gaming needs though.

As to the 3.7 DVD, that IS the standard size and you missed the point completely.

Nintendo crammed OOT and Majora's Mask in 32Mb carts.
Rare crammed Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64 and Perfect Dark into 32Mb carts.
Conker was done on a 64Mb cartrige.

Conclusion - Cartrige space is not really an issue for making big, fantastic games. The Sony UMD drive, however, is one of the many PSP components that reduces the battery life down to 2-4 hours with its fancy laser technology.

The thing is, on a home console, the UMD drive WOULD have been the better choice. That's what people mean by Nintendo understand handhelds better than Sony. I reckon that you'll eat your own words when the PSP2 comes out with some sort of cartrige format.
You'll see. :-)
Fri 07/01/05 at 15:29
Regular
"and PC user"
Strafio wrote:
> What Biggles said.
> Nintendo like to advertise their products in MB - MegaBits.
> Like that 4MB Memory card - that's only 0.5 Mb - 8 bits to the byte.
> So Macintosh, the Gamecube disk holds 12MB while the PS2 DVD's can
> only manage 3.7Mb, so UP YOURS! :-P
>
>
> Some of the later games were 64Mb (like Resi and Conker), but some of
> the biggest ones like (like Zelda, Jet Force Gemini and Donkey Kong
> 64) managed to cram into 32Mb.
>
> Conclusion - Disk storage isn't an issue if the develloper has any
> initiative whatsoever.
> Yep, it's storing CD quality music on a CD, but Conker had sounds
> that owned everything that even the PS2 was pumping at that time!
>
>
> Creativity Storage Media
> End of. :-)

So the Cube memory card is 0.5Mb. The Sony PS2 card is 8Mb.

What are you on about, Sony PS2 holding 3.7Mb? Its a regular drive + disc which holds 4.25Gb or 8.5Gb using dual layer.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.