GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"are nintendo finally growing up?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/01/05 at 19:31
Regular
"kill my enemys"
nintendo sometimes is classed as a kiddy console due to its 3+ age limit.

kind of true even if some games arent.

games such as super mario sunshine and most of the mario stuff are classed as kiddy and yes they are kiddy also the games such as pokemon.

but thanks to resident evil 4 and the new [B]real life[B] looking zelda and metroid prime 2 echoes is the gamecube and other consoles growing up at last and making the games harder?

please write down your issues on nintendo and there kiddy stuff!
Thu 06/01/05 at 22:31
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Nintendo were never totally aiming at children. The Resident Evil remake and Resident Evil 0 were most definitely not childish games, neither was Eternal Darkness or the first Metroid Prime.
Thu 06/01/05 at 21:21
Regular
"-_-"
we will just in conkers live and reloaded! ....on the xbox :( Ah well i can play it at one of my mates houses i guess :(
Thu 06/01/05 at 19:42
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Where as the comedy in Conkers Bad Fur Day was absolutely spot on! I'll never forget the laughter that we had playing that game especially the singing poo and when Conker meets death - classic gaming that we'll never see the likes of again I would think!
Thu 06/01/05 at 19:40
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Dringo wrote:
> Nintendo have always tried to get adult software on the Gamecube. That
> isn't the problem. Nintendo need to make the revolution look like a
> cool media device and not a toy and advertise some adult games along
> with it.

I agree, but I can't see Nintendo EVER allowing the likes of GTA on any of their consoles even if the games producers were prepared to port them across! I'm not on some sort of censorship ban here but I think that the swearing and violence in GTA SA is just completely overboard! It may have been funny at first but then, like anyhting in too bigga dose, it just gets boring and unfunny!
Thu 06/01/05 at 19:29
Regular
What Biggles said.
Nintendo like to advertise their products in MB - MegaBits.
Like that 4MB Memory card - that's only 0.5 Mb - 8 bits to the byte.
So Macintosh, the Gamecube disk holds 12MB while the PS2 DVD's can only manage 3.7Mb, so UP YOURS! :-P

Some of the later games were 64Mb (like Resi and Conker), but some of the biggest ones like (like Zelda, Jet Force Gemini and Donkey Kong 64) managed to cram into 32Mb.

Conclusion - Disk storage isn't an issue if the develloper has any initiative whatsoever.
Yep, it's storing CD quality music on a CD, but Conker had sounds that owned everything that even the PS2 was pumping at that time!

Creativity > Storage Media
End of. :-)
Thu 06/01/05 at 15:40
"I love yo... lamp."
Dringo wrote:
> Macintosh wrote:
>
> 32Mb carts? I thought most were 128Mb and 256Mb? Someone said
> Nintendo even made a 512Mb cart for the N64 - although I cant
> remember seeing one myself.
>
> MAcintosh is right, the 512 MB cart was for a game called Resident
> Evil 2.

And Conker. And Bio Hazard 2. And Ogre Battle. And Paper Mario. And Pokemon Stadium 2. And as you said, Resi 2.

But there were NO 512MB carts. There were 512 Mb, which is Megabit, not Megabyte. 512 Megabits is 64 Megabytes. That is less than one tenth of a CD-ROM which holds 650 Megabytes.
Thu 06/01/05 at 15:15
Regular
"Random by default"
I think its in the developers best interests to not make games that big. I mean all that man power and time put into it.

Couldnt they just be put across a number of discs in these situations? The discs themselves are pretty cheap surely.
Thu 06/01/05 at 14:24
Regular
"and PC user"
gerrid wrote:
> *jizm* 3GB of unused space on a DVD how can you guys contain
> yourselves?

Well, its 7Gb extra, not 3Gb. If games get really big, chances are they will fit on PS2 and XBox, but not on GameCube.
Thu 06/01/05 at 14:16
Regular
"bit of a brain"
*jizm* 3GB of unused space on a DVD how can you guys contain yourselves?
Thu 06/01/05 at 14:14
Regular
"and PC user"
Top score wrote:
> Both media's have gone up by 6 times
>
> 256mb to 1.5gig gamecube
>
> 700mb to 4.5gig ps2
>
> The only difference is one is big enough to hold a movie the other
> isn't.

Infact using Dual Layer discs, PS2 discs can hold 8.5Gb on one side of a DVD. Many films already use this feature as they dont fit into the 4.25Gb Single Layer DVD format.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.