GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitar set-up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/04 at 19:48
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Someone started a topic on technology set-ups, dvd, ps2, tv etc, so i thought id do one for guitars, as there seem to be a lot of guitarists here. Here's mine:

Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Gibson Burstbucker pickups, Switchcraft toggle switch and Gibson tone/volume pots
- Sigma Steel-strung Acoustic with Piezo pickup.

Amps

- Marshall TSL100 Head with Marshall 1936 2x12 cab
- Use of Ampeg 70W 2x10 combo with chorus and reverb

Effects

- Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-wah pedal
- Digitech RP300 Multi-effects Proccesor

'Wants' List

- Another Les paul with EMG-ZW pickups
- Marshall 4x12 for the TSL Head
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Phase 90
- MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive

So what does everyone else out there have? And please nobody mention those 'Affinity' Stratocasters that you can buy from Argos for £100!! :D
Fri 01/10/04 at 17:16
Regular
Here's a question for you guitar players.

What tuning do you normally play in?

I usually play in standard (EADGBE), but I sometimes play in drop-D.
Fri 01/10/04 at 18:52
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Fender boy:

Strat (US), sounds gorgeous.
Tele (Jap), sounds good, plays like a dream.

Played through a Bassman. Not big on effects, more likely to add them in the mix, but use a Vox wah - beautifully warm sound.

That's it.

Tune to standard, but sometimes play slide, in which case I tune to a chord (D,G,D,G,B,D or D,A,D,F#,A,D).
Sat 02/10/04 at 00:48
Regular
"you've got a beard"
gamesfreak wrote:
> Here's a question for you guitar players.
>
> What tuning do you normally play in?
>
> I usually play in standard (EADGBE), but I sometimes play in drop-D.

i usually have a guitar in regular (AEDGBE), one tuned to drop C and one in a tuning of (CGCGCE), which is a low open C when played unfretted, it gets nice harmonies.
Sat 02/10/04 at 17:40
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
gamesfreak wrote:

> What tuning do you normally play in?

Everything! Well, apart from chordal tuning. Mostly I use standard tuning, but i also use e-flat (same as hendrix, guns n roses), drop d (although i hate bands who use it all the time), drop-d-flat (mixture of the previous two), whole tone down, and recently (e.g. last two weeks) ive used some outrageously heavy tunings. mainly drop b (Low to high: B, F#, B, E, G#, c#), and even drop-A (same as drop-b but one extra tone down). Thats for slipknot songs such as My Plague and The Heretic Anthem, and some Arch Enemy stuff aswell. Another strange one i like is dropped-b-standardm which is all standard tuning with the bottom string as a B, its used in Audioslave - Gasoline, and Black Label Society - Low Down. or you can combine this with drop-b for example and you end up with Low to High: G#, F#, B, E, G#, C#, its good because when you try to do a powerchord, you end up with an octave. the heaviest ive ever seen is Messugah, who use an 8-string guitar de-tuned 1 step. so the lowest string is an E, but an octave below normal tuning (i THINK). They also use 14-guage strings!!! Speaking of string sizes:

> What guage strings do you normally use?
Sat 02/10/04 at 17:43
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (9s).
Sat 02/10/04 at 17:46
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Same as me. But I want to start using heavier strings due to lower tunings, i just bought a set of Ernie Ball 'Heavy Bottom Skinny Top', or something like that. theyre a set of 10s with heavier bas strings, i think the low E is a .05
Sat 02/10/04 at 19:13
Regular
"you've got a beard"
AAAEAE is a fun tuning as well.. the 6th string is an octave lower A, the 5th is the same as usual and the 4th string is tuned up to the A as well :)

oh, and SUper SLinkys for me (009's)
Sat 02/10/04 at 20:24
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Some of the fastest shredders e.g. Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci etc. use .008 guage!! Thats just ridiculously light. Fast playing apparently also comes from a low action, de-tuned strings and un-finished necks. O, and the small matter of hundreds of hours of practise.....
Sun 03/10/04 at 00:47
Regular
"you've got a beard"
my problem is that i like to shred, so i use light strings, but i ALSO like lots of pick control, so i use 1mm picks...

*snap//pt-ting*

... i buy a lot of 9's and 11's :)
Sun 03/10/04 at 17:48
Regular
"You've upset me"
Guitars

Taylor Big Baby Steel-stringed Acoustic
Yamaha Pacifica

Picks

Dunlop .46mm

Uhh... that's about it :-D

Don't own any amps or effects because I play the acoustic, Pacifica was a hand-me-down from my bro that I started on before getting my Big Baby for my birthday. I think I'm actually in love with it... It's got an awesome sound and I know how lucky I am to have it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.