GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitar set-up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/04 at 19:48
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Someone started a topic on technology set-ups, dvd, ps2, tv etc, so i thought id do one for guitars, as there seem to be a lot of guitarists here. Here's mine:

Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Gibson Burstbucker pickups, Switchcraft toggle switch and Gibson tone/volume pots
- Sigma Steel-strung Acoustic with Piezo pickup.

Amps

- Marshall TSL100 Head with Marshall 1936 2x12 cab
- Use of Ampeg 70W 2x10 combo with chorus and reverb

Effects

- Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-wah pedal
- Digitech RP300 Multi-effects Proccesor

'Wants' List

- Another Les paul with EMG-ZW pickups
- Marshall 4x12 for the TSL Head
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Phase 90
- MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive

So what does everyone else out there have? And please nobody mention those 'Affinity' Stratocasters that you can buy from Argos for £100!! :D
Sat 25/09/04 at 22:27
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
Guitars:
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Flying V
Admira Solista classical (v.nice and expensive, look it up)
Couple of crappy old electrics to play with

Amp:
Peavey 250W bass amp. Yes, that's right, I use a bass amp as a normal amp! Very nice sound it makes to, which is why I use it. Going to get a nice amp as soon as I finish Uni, but I'm playing bass in a band at the moment, so it comes in useful.

Shedloads of pedals, some Boss, some crap, Jim Dunlop wah pedal.

Been playing for years, and muchly enjoy it I do too.
Sat 25/09/04 at 22:32
Regular
I use a Maverick F1, and I have a fairly decent Acoustic that I forget the name of.
Sat 25/09/04 at 22:47
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I own an 'Axl'. I have no idea who Axl are and I've never seen another one anywhere, but it's quite a nice guitar. I went to the shop intending to buy an Epi LP but came back with this, since it played better, sounded nicer and cost less.
Sat 25/09/04 at 22:49
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I've got a crappy Strat, I hate it. It's sound naff and looks gay.

Going to buy an SG
Sun 26/09/04 at 03:59
Regular
"No Surprises Please"
I've got a Yamaha F-310 acoustic and an Epiphone SG.
Sun 26/09/04 at 11:21
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Nothing amazingly special:

Yamaha RGX121s, nice starter one, very good to learn on
Washburn Mercury MG-42, far fromt he best of guitars but nice to play when set up correctly.
Spanish classical guitar of some sort
Tanglewood Odyssey Electro-Acoustic
One brown one, tele-shaped, given to me ages ago and I still can't identify it. I've ripped out one of the DiMarzio Super Distortions from it and whacked them in my RGX though, heavy sound :)

Marshall MG250dfx - gets some lovely sounds, but lacking the crunch I really want..
Fender Frontman 15 - little practise amp, sounds horrible but cost a tenner.

Couple of pedals, Marshall Guv'nor, Little big mufff, Crybaby Wah and a little multifx box I haven't seen in a while.

Keeps me going nicely, shall be buying a Gibson LP Studio some time in the next 6 months :)
Sun 26/09/04 at 12:37
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
I seriously want that MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive pedal now. If you use it on the clean channel like a normal OD pedal, you get sort of a vintage crunch type tone, not even remotely heavy-metal. The idea is that you use it (Like Zakk does) infront of a already dirty amp!! The result is absolutely killer tone and seriously good harmonics. I'm thinkin of using it as a boost pedal for solos/lead work, or just for the tone. Out of interest, anyone here own it/used it before?
Sun 26/09/04 at 13:15
Regular
"you've got a beard"
metalhead wrote:
> Very_Metal wrote:
> guitars
> ---------
>
> 1978 Gibson Les Paul Classic (mini-humbuckers) - wine red
> '92 Gibson Les Paul Studio - black, my gigging/recording guitar
>
> You absolute b*tch........
>
> :D
>
> Not fair, i want!!!

then you too must work B*STARD hard for a good many months my man :)
they're as much investments as instruments (even though i'll NEVER sell my black one, it's seen FAR too much action to be cast aside!) and i slaved my nuts off to get them.
plus it's odd to play a guitar older than me :)
Sun 26/09/04 at 13:16
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I used to be into my gear so much, but now I prefer a stripped-back approach: just me, my guitar, a few pedals and an amp. That's why I love Telecasters so much - whatever sound you make is yours, no happy-accidental harmonics. Doesn't mean you can't shred or tremolo pick. In fact, you have to improve on your fingerwork and picking because it really shows if you haven't got the confidence or speed!

Played a mate's Jackson (can't remember the model) guitar, which are built for high tones and speed - metal in other words - and no matter what you play it sounds good and fast.
Sun 26/09/04 at 13:17
Regular
"you've got a beard"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> I use a Maverick F1, and I have a fairly decent Acoustic that I forget
> the name of.

i've just recently had my first experience with Maverick guitars and i have to say i was pretty damn impressed!
the sideways vol/tone controls took a lil getting used to but aesthetically it looked cracking and complimented the body contouring nicely as well.
good sound, nice to play... 7.5 - 8 out of 10 i think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.