GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitar set-up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/04 at 19:48
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Someone started a topic on technology set-ups, dvd, ps2, tv etc, so i thought id do one for guitars, as there seem to be a lot of guitarists here. Here's mine:

Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Gibson Burstbucker pickups, Switchcraft toggle switch and Gibson tone/volume pots
- Sigma Steel-strung Acoustic with Piezo pickup.

Amps

- Marshall TSL100 Head with Marshall 1936 2x12 cab
- Use of Ampeg 70W 2x10 combo with chorus and reverb

Effects

- Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-wah pedal
- Digitech RP300 Multi-effects Proccesor

'Wants' List

- Another Les paul with EMG-ZW pickups
- Marshall 4x12 for the TSL Head
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Phase 90
- MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive

So what does everyone else out there have? And please nobody mention those 'Affinity' Stratocasters that you can buy from Argos for £100!! :D
Sun 26/09/04 at 13:18
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I really don't why I got a Strat instead of a Tele

Get a nice crisp sound of a Telecaster
Sun 26/09/04 at 13:22
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
SHEEPY wrote:
> I really don't why I got a Strat instead of a Tele
>
> Get a nice crisp sound of a Telecaster

I like the whammy/tremolo bar that comes as standard on the Strat, although you can train yourself to do that on a tele if you don't want to fit one. Looked into it a while back, but it's far more fun 'wobbling' your fingers to get the same sound.
Sun 26/09/04 at 17:43
Regular
"lets go back"
Well I play bass but i'll join in anyway:

Guitars

Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass Limited Edition Japanese Spec

Amp

Laney HCM160B

Effects

Boss ME-50 B multi effects unit

miscelaneous

Samson AP1B reciever and AG1 transmitter (wireless kit)

Ive got a load of other, older, things that I dont use much anymore so I wont other listing them.
Sun 26/09/04 at 17:58
Regular
Guitar
Crafter Junior Comfort Series

Amp
I have no idea what it is, it came with my guitar. It's not brilliant. 15w

No effects pedals, everything for the guitar is just so expensive.

I don't really know why I took up the guitar to be honest, even though I love to play it so, I can't afford the "best gear" and pedals.

It's such an expensive instrument to play, £100 doesn't even get you a decent amp, let alone an multi effects system.
Sun 26/09/04 at 18:04
Regular
"lets go back"
gamesfreak wrote:
>
>
> I don't really know why I took up the guitar to be honest, even
> though I love to play it so, I can't afford the "best gear"
> and pedals.
>
> It's such an expensive instrument to play, £100 doesn't even
> get you a decent amp, let alone an multi effects system.

In all honesty tho, if your a really good player you can make any cheap rubbish guitar sound not bad. I do agree that its expensive for the real good stuff such as les pauls, but you can still get decent gear at a reasonable price.
Sun 26/09/04 at 19:40
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
gamesfreak wrote:

> It's such an expensive ins**trument to play, £100 doesn't even
> get you a decent amp, let alone an multi effects sys**tem.

I know exactly how you feel! The right b*tch is when your mates all get bought really decent guitar equipment by their parents, either though they cant actually play for sh*t. Bring on guitar-communism i say, share the wealth!! :D
Sun 26/09/04 at 20:21
Regular
"you've got a beard"
the guitar is NOT an expensive instrument, especially when compared to drums, piano, traditional orchestral instruments, etc. £120 will buy you a nice guitar, not top of the range, but not so crap that it sucks to play.
granted, it CAN be pricey if you insist on the best equipment, but that's yer own fault :)
Sun 26/09/04 at 20:46
Regular
Very_Metal wrote:
> granted, it CAN be pricey if you insist on the best equipment, but
> that's yer own fault :)

I probably sounded a bit "oh I've only got to have the best" earlier, I didn't mean that.

I love my guitar to bits, but it's no Les Paul, and I definatley cannot afford to shell out that £700+ for one.

Why do they cost so much?

I'm just saying that, say, if you wanted a multi effects pedal, < £120 and you'll be lucky to get a decent tone, most of the prime's are hitting the £200+ mark.
Sun 26/09/04 at 20:54
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
There's no point getting multi-effects. The good quality ones are £300+ and you probably won't even use half the effects on the things.

The way to go with pedals is to go to a shop and try loads of different ones out to figure out which effects you like and the ones that might actually get any use. Then you buy those. It's almost certain to be cheaper than a multi-effects system (unless you intend on buying about 25 pedals) and it'll sound better too.

Multi-effects systems are only really of any use if you want to switch 3+ effects on/off at once.
Mon 27/09/04 at 00:41
Regular
"you've got a beard"
gamesfreak wrote:
> I love my guitar to bits, but it's no Les Paul, and I definatley
> cannot afford to shell out that £700+ for one.
>
> Why do they cost so much?

because they're a joy to play mate :)
ace build quality, good tone, nice neck, easy fingerboard, good quality wood finish.. the list goes on... :)
>
> I'm just saying that, say, if you wanted a multi effects pedal, <
> £120 and you'll be lucky to get a decent tone, most of the
> prime's are hitting the £200+ mark.

"you get what you pay for" i spose mate.
if you pay less, you get lamer stuff, that's just the way these things tend to work with instruments.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.