GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Guitar set-up"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 24/09/04 at 19:48
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Someone started a topic on technology set-ups, dvd, ps2, tv etc, so i thought id do one for guitars, as there seem to be a lot of guitarists here. Here's mine:

Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard with Gibson Burstbucker pickups, Switchcraft toggle switch and Gibson tone/volume pots
- Sigma Steel-strung Acoustic with Piezo pickup.

Amps

- Marshall TSL100 Head with Marshall 1936 2x12 cab
- Use of Ampeg 70W 2x10 combo with chorus and reverb

Effects

- Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah-wah pedal
- Digitech RP300 Multi-effects Proccesor

'Wants' List

- Another Les paul with EMG-ZW pickups
- Marshall 4x12 for the TSL Head
- Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Phase 90
- MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive

So what does everyone else out there have? And please nobody mention those 'Affinity' Stratocasters that you can buy from Argos for £100!! :D
Wed 06/10/04 at 19:05
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
I've seen these ones in Total Guitar, theyre made of steel, are 5mm thick and cost £18!!! My guitar teacher uses these really think ones made of rosewood wood, and has some made from ceramic, metal and one he says is bone!! They cost him £10 a time and theyre awesome to play with.
Mon 04/10/04 at 00:43
"I love yo... lamp."
metalhead wrote:
> Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm picks

That's the name of them. Don't know where I got Fat Boy from. Best picks out there I think, I can play faster with them than anything else. Plus you get good attack with them.
Sun 03/10/04 at 23:39
Regular
"you've got a beard"
metalhead wrote:
> I used to use the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm picks coz i didnt know how 2
> do pinched harmonics properly and they helped a bit.

the 1mm picks i use are GREAT for pinched harmonics. i rule at them, my playing style is a lot like Mr. Wylde
Sun 03/10/04 at 23:38
Regular
"you've got a beard"
i use thinner picks for acoustic work, not stupidly thin, .88mm i think, they're thin enough to do nice open rolls and sweep picking with, but thick enough so that when you hit the string it gives a nice clear note.
also, you don't get that irritating "clap-tap" sound as the pick flaps about when you're strumming. i hate that.
Sun 03/10/04 at 19:42
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
I used to use the Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm picks coz i didnt know how 2 do pinched harmonics properly and they helped a bit. But now i know how to do them i use Tortex .88s all the time. They happen to be the same as Metallica, Slash and Zakk Wylde use, so i use the same because im sad. Honestly though, theyre really good plectrums.
Sun 03/10/04 at 18:23
"I love yo... lamp."
I use .008s for my Strat and .013s for my Jedson. I don't do things by halfs. I play rock etc on the Strat and some blues and slide on the Jedson.

Very light and thin picks are good for strumming, but you can't shred with them because the response time for them to get back to shape is longer than the time it takes to play the next note. That's the reason I use picks that don't have any give in them, generally 3mm Dunlop Fat Boys and metal picks. I do have some X10 speed picks though.
Sun 03/10/04 at 18:23
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
Nah, I agree with Very_Metal - light picks don't have enough control. When they're flopping around every time you pick a note it slows everything way down and makes fast playing much, much harder.
Sun 03/10/04 at 18:15
Regular
"You've upset me"
Memorandum! wrote:
> RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Picks
>
> Dunlop .46mm
>
> !
>
> Isn't that like playing with a sheet of paper?

Nope.

Hate using heavy picks. Firstly you can't strum properly with them as they don't have any give whatsoever, it's like bashing your strings with a brick, and secondly, when actually picking I find it much easier. The bend in them gives you more fluidity and so a smoother playing style. At least that's what I find :-)
Sun 03/10/04 at 18:00
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Picks
>
> Dunlop .46mm

!

Isn't that like playing with a sheet of paper?
Sun 03/10/04 at 17:48
Regular
"You've upset me"
Guitars

Taylor Big Baby Steel-stringed Acoustic
Yamaha Pacifica

Picks

Dunlop .46mm

Uhh... that's about it :-D

Don't own any amps or effects because I play the acoustic, Pacifica was a hand-me-down from my bro that I started on before getting my Big Baby for my birthday. I think I'm actually in love with it... It's got an awesome sound and I know how lucky I am to have it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.