GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PowerBook or iBook"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 13/09/04 at 23:36
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Now, i am considering getting either of the following, a 14" top spec (the max everything can go) iBook. OR, a 12" PowerBook, with low to medium specs.

What do you think would be the better option.

I prefer the look of a powerbook, and it's modemness, but is there that much differance?
Wed 15/09/04 at 16:50
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
I added everything up, including student discount ;)
And if i got a full spec iBook, it comes out just a bit more, then a medium - high spec 12" powerbook.

Man i want a Mac. I ENVY YOU TIMMY. 17" pfft. Give it to me.

EDit: Argh, that last bit sounded off.
Tue 14/09/04 at 17:21
Regular
Same here. I'm considering selling up on my PC and all the stuff with it and just investing in a top-of-the-range Powerbook.
Tue 14/09/04 at 16:42
Regular
"Dr. Chad Niga"
Timmargh/bullet, you make a good point. "It'll be worth the money in the long run"

That's made me look at the powerbook more strongly now.

Cheers.
Tue 14/09/04 at 11:36
Regular
PowerBooks are amazing.

So thin, and I mean, Thin.

Thin as hell.
Tue 14/09/04 at 10:18
Regular
"Twenty quid."
Nimco wrote:
> They rely on people not wanting to move to a PC.

It's not really a "PC vs. Mac" thing, it's more "Windows vs. OS X", i.e. it's the software that makes the difference.
Tue 14/09/04 at 10:11
Regular
"NULL"
ßulle†† wrote:
> And what is FWIW? :D

For what it's worth.

But whereas in the PC industry there is a lot of competition - if you have poor support from one company (e.g. PC World), then you go to another one next time - which forces standards to be held high, with Macs, if you don't like your Mac, tough, cos you can't get one from anywhere else. They rely on people not wanting to move to a PC.
Tue 14/09/04 at 09:36
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ßulle†† wrote:
> £8000 on software?!
>
> Won't most of it be PC/Mac compatible?
>
> And what is FWIW? :D

I wish. To replace Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Acrobat Pro, Lightwave, Plasma, most of my fonts (some of the licenced ones I have cost £150+ per font), InDesign, Director, After Effects etc, I'd need new Mac licences as these wonderful firms don't produce "dual" installs, unlike Macromedia who do (since MX2004) so the only one I wouldn't need to replace is Studio MX 2004 Pro!

Though to run it on a Mac too, I would have to purchase a new copy of MX2004 due to their licencingp policy, so that's another £650 just so I can have a copy on PC and Mac!

Welcome to the world of "legal" software!
Tue 14/09/04 at 09:15
Regular
£8000 on software?!

Won't most of it be PC/Mac compatible?

And what is FWIW? :D
Tue 14/09/04 at 09:08
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Nimco wrote:
> Hmmmm...... I'm still not convinced that Macs will ever rival the
> "IBM Compatible" PC. Damn that brings back the good ol'
> days....

Amusing response, even though IBM currently make the Processors for Macs!;)

Back tot he question...

Although the PowerBook comes in with lower specs than the top end iBook, the difference in sheer power is amazing. I've wated a 17" PowerBook for ages, and although I can justify buying one, I can't justify having to spend out £8,000+ on new software just to make the switch.

Never had an issue with cutomer services either. In fact, due to their "niche" narket, their CS is excellent as they do indeed value their customers. Unlike PC's, Mac's are an investment and Apple are fully aware of this.

FWIW, just about to pre order a new iMac.
Tue 14/09/04 at 06:40
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Apple's customer support is excellent, I dropped my iPod- they replaced it with a brand new one (well, refurbished, but it's new basically).

I had a similar situation two months ago, and in the end I went for a 12" iBook. Cheap, portable, and great for school. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.